2012...what are your feelings on the subject?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by toothfairy420, Jun 6, 2008.

1. toothfairy420

toothfairy420 Stoner Chique

2012 ad, the year that Nostradamus predicted the world would end is closing in...and fast.

I personally do not think the world will literally end, however, I do think there is the chance of life ending...as we know it, no...not life being extinguished...but changing in such a great manner that life would never be the same again. A pivotal time in human kind, or a fork in the road...what are your opinions?

6 people like this.
  2. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

Since I'm not superstitious and not a practitioner of ancient Meso-American religions, I suspect that 2012 will be just another year.

74 people like this.
  3. sterbo

sterbo sailor dog...

Nostradamus screwed up.
    The world as we know it will end before Monday. So says sailor dog after consulting with Neptune's youngest daughter.
    So all is not lost. Gather round all ye stoner's of ample faith and take to deep waters.

Sufficient offerings to one true god neptune.jpg Click -
    shall result in your very own growth of gills, taking you to a much better place while the cosmos above rages.

And for those who act now (unconditional trust shall be rewarded) note that Amphitrite will provide you an added boner (I mean bonus) to entice endless waves of love to your newly moistened loins.
    All those who dare, simply 'click' on the idol above for an ample preview of coming attractions.
    So fear not me hearties,
    sterbo, your ever faithful waterman, has sampled young daughter Vesta's vesta netunes daughter.jpg goods ;) and her like minded sisters shan't lead you astray...

10 people like this.
  4. Vicki

Vicki Cat Whisperer

I guess we'll see what happens on December 21, 2012. :p Besides the planets aligning, etc, etc...

2 people like this.
  5. Buzzby

I thought about getting my planets aligned, but the price my mechanic quoted was too high. I had my wheels aligned instead. :D

18 people like this.
  6. Merry-juana

Merry-juana Sr. Member

It is the end of the world AS WE KNOW IT. Money isn't going to rule the world anymore, and people will become peacefull. Judgement, greed, hate, and the like isn't going to exist anymore.
    I was thinking, the Bible sayes that there will be 1000 years of peace and 1000 yearws of anguish before the end of the world, but, that was just a miswriting by some monk, it actually means 100 years. Think about it, the last major war before 1912 (when the gemans started to prapare for ww1.) was 1812. In the 100 years inbetween there was only one, non major war held in the entire world. (American civil war.) and if you look at the history of the world, that is a pretty peacefull 100 years. now we had 100 years of major wars, with barely any pause inbetween. So 2012 is the year all this pain ends. Do not think of the end of the world as a bad thing to be scared of, but as a good thing to rejoice about, because it will be the end of all suffering.

22 people like this.
  7. Vicki

Vicki Cat Whisperer

I don't want this going into a religious discussion, but there is a scripture in the Bible that says only the Father knows the day and the hour, not the son, or anyone else. That being said, if people are looking for something to happen on December 21, 2012, God would just make it happen another time. :)

14 people like this.
  8. Darque Pervert

Darque Pervert Jive Honkey

Nostradamus also said the world would end t several specific points before 2000, also.
    Granted, there is more surrounding the year 2012 than any of his other EotW prognostications than the other dates. Other religions believe that 2012 is going to be the end.

Meh.
    2012 is just another year.
    There will be good things. There will be bad things.
    Happiness & sorrow.
    Joy & pain.
    Birth, life & death.
    Life will simply go on.

The earth will get burnt up when the sun starts expanding several million years from now and basically swallows Earth in a fiery apocalypse.
    So sayeth the astro-physicists & astronomers.

9. Buzzby

The price of gas will go up.

14 people like this.
  10. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitect The Cosmic Chronic

The year after 2011 and before 2013. That's about all I think about when "2012" pops into my head.

2 people like this.
  11. THC Fiend

THC Fiend Wonko the Sane

The sound "uuuuugggggggghhhhhh"

possibly followed by a long, drawn out sigh

That's what pops into my mind when you ask for my feelings on this subject.

12. ITG

ITG Ardent Dilettante

Well, it will certainly mean a new world for ME- it'll be my first year post-collegiate-graduation. And, in my mind, it's the year I'll spend hitchhiking around Europe. Wishful thinking, isn't it a blast?

The world isn't going to end anytime soon. Even if we loose the bombs and everyone dies, the world will, in fact, still be here. It takes a LOT to destroy a planet (SEE How to Destroy the Earth@Things of Interest). The idea that the world will end s based on the occurrence of a stellar alignment that occurs every 25000 odd years. Scientifically speaking, it has occured hundreds of thousands of times before, and the world keeps spinning. Religiously speaking, the mayans didn't actually think the world would end. Their calendar just ends there because from that point forward they just start at thee beginning again. Nostradomically speaking, you want me to take the opinion of a person who claims to see the future seriously? The dude's either a liar, a gullible fool, or a psychadelic imbiber (still a fool if he thought that the hallucinations predicted future events).

World ain't ending. No easy outs yet.

4 people like this.
  13. Bugsteak

Bugsteak New Member

Nostradamus says 2012 the world will end.

Charles Manson's next parole hearing is in 2012. Coicidence? I think not!

6 people like this.
  14. SpiralArchitect

Haha, it's also when the next presidents term would end!

Perhaps that Obama or McCain have a nasty trick up their sleeve when they get the boot :p

2 people like this.
  15. Bugsteak

Bugsteak New Member

Oh man, I'd laugh if Obama or McCain's last move as President was pardoning Manson, and he ended up ending the world somehow.

16. SpiralArchitect

That sounds so fucking crazy, it could end up being the best South Park episode ever! :rofl:

20 people like this.
  17. IGemini

IGemini [?]

You do realize that the Earth doesn't need to be completely annihilated for the human race to be destroyed, right? There is currently more than enough nuclear payload to wipe out the human race by aftereffects of fallout alone. You might also be familiar with Alvarez hypothesis, which suggests that an asteroid only 10km wide caused enough global changes to exterminate the dinosaurs. The Earth as a world doesn't need to end for our collective human world to end. I'm pretty sure that from our perspective, that's all that matters.

I personally don't believe in soothsaid guesses on when the apocalypse will happen. Like DP said, Nostradamus was wrong before as well as many other "psychics", and I won't give him credit if he happens to be right at whatever time. We'll all be dead, why care after the fact?

2 people like this.
  18. sterbo

sterbo sailor dog...

Because life goes on...;)

19. SpiralArchitect

sterbo, I think he meant in context to Nostradamus, but yeah...

Not ours. If every human being was wiped of the planet we wouldn't exist, so we couldn't care if we tried!

20. Vicki

Vicki Cat Whisperer

Maybe Manson is the Anti-Christ. :p

2 people like this.