Acne and marijuana

Discussion in 'Medicinal Marijuana' started by Orange Bud, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Orange Bud

Orange Bud Banned

So in the 3 years ive smoked (im 17 now) weed ive noticed something with increased/decreased usage.

When i increase my intake of marijuana i notice that i get more facial acne, and when i decrease my usage i get less acne. Now i dont have acne that bad just a few zits here and there but my friend has it pretty bad. We have both talked about this and the same happens to him too (more weed = more acne).

I understand that at my age acne is common but its the appearance and disappearance of it when marijuana is factored in. I have not stopped smoking to see if marijuana is the culprit. Is it just me and him who have this or is it because of a chemical of marijuana that causes this?

2. Kushy

Kushy down

Eating a lot of fatty junk food can give you acne. Maybe it's not the marijuana but it's the munchies that do it

7 people like this.
  3. homemadebubbler

homemadebubbler Always bubblin'

Maybe something to do with secondhand smoke coming in contact with the skin (and pores) on your face? Not really sure, just a guess...

2 people like this.
  4. Rupert Pupkin

Rupert Pupkin New Member

I used to get more acne when I smoked more too. I always chalked it up to the fact that smoke is bad for your skin, so with the marijuana smoke coming in contact with your skin, it just causes more acne.

5. Qbit

Qbit New Member

I find that bad skin seems to correspond to levels of stress and toxins, and so I believe it's the smoke, not the THC or other psychoactive cannabinoids, that would be responsible (cannabinoids are non-toxic). If you really want to test this out, try using a vapourizer, or making an isopropanol or butane extract, or then a ticture or edibles instead. Any of these methods will remove the smoke from the burning plant matter from the equation, and your system won't have the stress of having to breathe it in.

Another possibility is that, when you get stoned, you might just be eating a lot of sugar, or food and drinks with plenty of sugar in them (as you do). I don't know about anyone else, but a sugar binge for me inevitably results in zits within 3 or 4 days (though fortunately no longer to the degree I used to get when I was younger).

6 people like this.
  6. OldTimeToker

OldTimeToker Sr. Member

You get acne because your are a TEENAGER. In a few years you wont have it anymore dont worry about it...

7. Qbit

Qbit New Member

Well sure, being a teenager will be a contributing factor, but it's hardly the whole story. Some teenagers get little to no acne, while some adults keep getting it to some degree for their whole lives. I'm afraid you're not being helpful, OTT.

2 people like this.
  8. ESVAburnout

ESVAburnout New Member

Weed helps my acne. I smoke a blunt and the face is crystal clear the next day.

9. OldTimeToker

OldTimeToker Sr. Member

A majority of teenagers get at least some acne. Ive heard that chocolate can give you acne, but then again so can touching your face. You have oils on your hands so if you touch your face you will get bacteria in your skin.

To the OP, all im really saying is you shouldnt worry about acne. It'll come and go, and you can try every acne product out there but most people say it just dries out their skin. I understand that having acne sucks, trust me I had it when I was young. But do note that most teens get it, so I doubt anyone is going to care if you have it. You might get self conscious but theres no real need to. In the next few years you wont know 99% of the people you know now in high school so dont worry to much about social status.

10. Qbit

Qbit New Member

What I'm saying is that you're making a big assumption when you say the OP must be a teenager. They could be 30 for all you know. I'm 36 and I still get small zits occasionally. But that's only really after I've eaten lots of sweets. So I agree that most conventional medications can be more trouble than they're worth (even dangerous), but from plenty of personal experience I can say that paying attention to diet and other factors that are conventionally ignored by doctors can really pay off.

Besides you may not realise it, OTT, but your comments come off as quite patronizing. Whether your a teen or older, acne is not nice to have, and it's stressful for a variety of reasons, not simply social ones. After all, they can fucking hurt, too.

2 people like this.
  11. OldTimeToker

OldTimeToker Sr. Member

Of course anybody can get acne, but a majority of people get it when they're young. Whats to disagree with about that? Do your parents have acne? Probably not and for most adults it goes away and some they vaguely get it throughout their life. Everyones different.

12. Qbit

Qbit New Member

Well if everyone is different maybe you shouldn't make assumptions and treat them all the same. BTW yes my father, at 63, still gets the odd zit (my mother died 14 years ago). But my uncle had it far worse when he was young, and he's been scarred for life by it.

But OK, just suppose the OP is a teen - do you really think he's going to listen to some old guy about what attitude to take about it? Especially one with such a dismissive attitude. Sure, everything you remember of that stage of your life might seem cute and quaint now, but when you're actually there the whole 'in a few years it won't matter' line is no help whatsoever, as it just comes across as a tired pathetic cliche spouted out by old people who never learned quite enough wisdom to match their age. After all, give it a few years, and you won't matter either.

13. Orange Bud

Orange Bud Banned

You know, if you scroll up to my first post it clearly says im 17.

14. Qbit

Qbit New Member

Ah you're right. I missed that somehow. Fair enough.

However the last paragraph in my previous post still very much applies. Zits suck, and having oldies tell you not to worry about them isn't at all helpful. Acne is clearly a sign that something isn't working quite right in your system - we're talking about various blockages and infections after all. Just because conventional medicine is more or less useless in dealing with this regard (without flooding your system with what more or less amounts to a type of chemotherapy) doesn't mean that nothing can be done about it.

And just because everyone else gets them at your age doesn't mean that it doesn't matter. Hey half of them are probably obese too, but that doesn't make that ok, does it? (Of course I'm not suggesting acne is anything near as serious as obesity - I'm just using it to illustrate a point.)

But as I suggested, pay attention to the food you consume, and you might begin to notice if and how your diet relates to the state of your skin. And forget the TV commercials that yell at you telling what miraculous new product to purchase. Instead, visit some online forums that specifically cover the subject and read some discussions, where you might actually get useful suggestions.

2 people like this.
  15. Kushy

Kushy down

Acne isn't anything "wrong" with your system. It's dirty pores in your skin, and its a natural phase of puberty and almost everyone gets at least a little bit in their lifetime

16. sterbo

sterbo sailor dog...

Not so.
    Acne can be both 'something wrong with your system' as well as "a natural phase of puberty".

Most of the time it's the former because, for most people, it's far more of a problem than it need be. While you're right that almost everyone suffers to one degree or another it can in fact be significantly mitigated by following some healthy guidelines, especially diet.
    If you don't maintain a proper diet then there will in fact be "something wrong with your system" and commonly excessive acne is but one result of that imbalance.

Exercise, the avoidance of various toxic substances found in our everyday life and the proper cleaning of the usual problem areas of the body are the other common things to be aware of.

Acne sucks and anyone who dismisses the inconvenience of it is both insensitive and downright boorish...

2 people like this.
  17. Qbit

Qbit New Member

There's no evolutionary reason to get acne - quite the opposite in fact, for obvious reasons. It is clearly a (usually minor) health problem of some kind, and just because most people do get it doesn't mean that it's something you're actually supposed to get, like hair on your nads.

These days we live in a world where people live in environments and consume certain foods at levels far beyond what can be called 'natural' (eg sugar, salt, carbohydrates, meat). We are really just hunter-gatherers by nature, but so many of us now live lives perhaps more closely resembling the battery hen. And as a result, people can be afflicted with many common but highly unnatural ailments - such haemorrhoids, from using sit-down toilets all their lives instead of squatting as the human body is designed to do.

And many suggest that acne is one of these unnatural afflictions which can be better remedied by cutting down on unhealthy activity (like, in my case, eating too much refined sugar) rather than by anything done to try to fix it.