Airport Security And Weed

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by pvsurfer, Feb 10, 2009.

1. pvsurfer

pvsurfer New Member

Alright so i'm gonna be traveling tomorrow from LAX airport (in Los Angeles) to and airport in Sacramento. And in the past i've brought weed with me in the plane, but i was talking to a friend today and he said he didn't recommend it because of some new security device called a puffer (which blows air on you and gets a body scan) which searches for bombs and explosives. My queastion is, can it detect if i have weed in my pocket and for any reason i have to go through this machine. If you know anything about it please let me know cause i'm pretty sketched out now.
  2. FATHERPARIS

FATHERPARIS Sr. Member

If you want to get weed from LA to Sacramento my best advice is to drive it up there, but it's too late if you already bought plane tickets and stuff. I probably wouldn't take weed on an airplane nowadays but if you did I would say mask tape it to your thigh or keep it in tight boxer briefs where you know they won't really touch or search you. Good luck with that...
  3. pvsurfer

pvsurfer New Member

Thanks man, and yea if i had a choice i would drive up there. But im going up with a group and driving isnt an option. If i knew i wasn't gonna be going through that machine for a fact i would be sketched out at all, its just the fact that they do this search at random which kinda scares me.
  4. sterbo

sterbo sailor dog...

Earlier this year I got 'puffed' at LAX and since I wasn't holding I came away with nothing more than a burgeoning hard on ;)

Is your freedom worth taking the chance that taking your weed with you will get you busted?
    Don't know about you but it's a no brainer for me...

"A Trace Portal Machine, technically known as an "explosives trace-detection portal machine", is a security device that seeks to detect explosives and illegal drugs at airports and other sensitive facilities. [1] The machines are intended as a secondary screening device, used as a complement to, rather than a substitute for, traditional X-ray machines.

While many people have complained that passing through the Puffer is an uncomfortable experience, the technology is virtually foolproof in preventing false-negatives.

Specifications -
    The Icon Sentinel ll edition, developed by Smiths Detection, uses "Ion Mobility Spectrometry (IMS)" technology and can detect explosives such as RDX, PETN, TNT, Semtex, and NG. It can also detect narcotics such as cocaine, heroin, PCP, THC, methamphetamine, and ecstasy. Its dimensions are 74" x 55" x 90" (188 x 140 x 229 cm) (W x L x H) and weighs approximately 1900 lbs (860 kg). This specific model also includes a digital camera and color printer that will automatically print photos taken while the screening process occurred if an alarm was raised."
    13 people like this.
  5. pvsurfer

pvsurfer New Member

Alright i dont think im gonna risk carrying it on with me, any tips how to get it through airports with check in bags? I know friends of mine have emptied shampoo bottles put weed in a baggie in there and filled the bottle back up, but that would look really suspicious going through x ray security also, seeing a baggie of something inside a shampoo bottle. I would really appriciate any tips you guys have to get it through the airport.
  6. Sofa King

Sofa King It's Good to be the KING.

Taking MJ on a plane is a really really really bad idea. Once you enter airport property you fall under federal law. How much is your freedom worth?

TIP: DON'T DO IT !!!
    4 people like this.
  7. sterbo

sterbo sailor dog...

Ask and ye shall receive...

http://www.marijuana.com/legal-issues/88098-plane-truth-flying-high-cannabis.html
    2 people like this.
  8. pvsurfer

pvsurfer New Member

I really just thought about that at dinner before i saw this and thought the same exact thing, im better off just buying it while im in sacramento. Its much safer just to buy it while time up there and not stress about sneaking in on.

**** thats a lot of pages, but from the few pages ive read it confirmed my thought now of not doing it. And thanks guys everyone that told me not to do it may have saved from being in quite a lot of trouble. :hail:

any knowlege about bringing vapes on a plane though? cause i know normally if you bring a pipe on the plane it just cant have any resin in it and its fine, is that the same rules as a vaperizor? cause vapes can also be used for tobacco, not only weed.
  9. BartSimpson

BartSimpson Sr. Member

Whoa - hold the paranoia.

Search for the Whitey-Tighty method and you will get the answer you need.

Airports are not drag-nets for MJ when traveling domestically.

It is easy, never place MJ in your Luggage - checked or carry-on. Your pocket is searchable, but your private parts stay private. Whitey-Tighty baby.
  10. pvsurfer

pvsurfer New Member

you sure??? lol cause i can be in quite a bit trouble if you are wrong lol.
  11. BartSimpson

BartSimpson Sr. Member

I get this urge to say "don't you know who I am?"
    Yes I am sure that my advice is sound. Read the last 10 pages of the Thread.

Grew up on Rat Beach, if that matters - PVHS grad. Before it closed.
    2 people like this.
  12. pvsurfer

pvsurfer New Member

No shit dude, i surf at rat every morning and i go to PVHS, hahaha small world and thank you, im probably going to do that then. i know about doing the whitey tightey thing before you mentioned it, but i still thought if i went through the 'puffer' and they saw weed or something they could search me.
  13. BartSimpson

BartSimpson Sr. Member

Wrong, wrong, wrong. This sort of fear-mongering is horrible.

The airport is not some fancy constitutional trap - you are subject to the local rule of law. Obviously many have not traveled before, yet post their ideas here as truth.
    4 people like this.
  14. BartSimpson

BartSimpson Sr. Member

Don't worry about the puffer - it is unconstitutional to search you without probable cause. Remember that MJ is not a threat to the safety of the aircraft, the search you have consented to. And it would be really bad for business for the airlines to effe with average travelers who happen to smoke weed.

That doesn't mean that the TSA would ignore your baggie - it might be proof that they searched well enough to find a weapon, had there been one. Never in your luggage.

Class of '75 - how's Mr. Bowles working out?
    2 people like this.
  15. rob

rob New Member

dont listen to any of this...
    once you set foot in an airport you can be searched for any reason, it is ur option to go in an airport and by doing so they can search you for any reason they see fit.

also, your not carrying it on your persons thru the "puffer" just not gonna happen.
    i would say if u decide to take the weed and notice ur self heading towards the puffer then slip off to the bathroom and ditch the weed...
    i only know cause i've seen the pictures these things take and they see EVERYTHING, you may be able to see what these machines do if u search google or somethin...

or just say your pregnant and can't go thru the xray machine? jk
  16. BartSimpson

BartSimpson Sr. Member

Really? When you purchase a ticket you consent to participate in the security screening process, including your luggage, but you do not give up your Fourth Amendment right. If you recall, the Fourth Amendment is protection against unreasonable searches and anyone with an IQ above room temperature would see that random searching for any old reason "they" see fit is by definition unreasonable.

By the way, who are "they"? The TSA is not a law enforcement agency, and TSA Screeners are not Law Enforcement Officers.

Fear-mongering is inappropriate. The "puffer" machine, Ion Mobility Spectrometry, is calibrated for sniffing explosives. This is a fact published on the TSA Website. Due to huge maintenance issues, these machines are being phased out and new machines are not being purchased. This is also a fact published by the TSA.

The Backscatter X-ray machines or the Millimeter Wave RF scanners you suggest in your last paragraph, are optional secondary screening devices, and unrelated to the "puffer".

Since it is obvious you do not travel, have no experience with airport security screening, and offer bad information - let me suggest it is your post that should be disregarded. Take some of your own advice, and search google or somethin . . . first.
    2 people like this.
  17. joebob4790

joebob4790 New Member

i'm pretty sure they can search you wherever they feel like. if you get randomly chosen and you have a big bulge of glass on your body, it will be found. unless of course you crammed it up your hole.. then maybe you'd escape... but that seems like a lot of work when you could just get papers or blunt wraps.
  18. BartSimpson

BartSimpson Sr. Member

*sigh*

Whenever is not the same as wherever, joebob. And who are "they"?

Rob said that "they" can search you just for entering the airport, whenever they want to search you for no reason. This is not true. This does not happen.

One you enter the Security Screening Process, the TSA can conduct an administrative search of your person and luggage to determine if there is any threat to security. If they suspect that there is some contraband up your butt, they can search there, too.

I stand here, shouting to the high heavens, that airports are not dragnets for Marijuana. Anyone who travels routinely knows this - and by way of example, this site only has 5 stories by members, first person, of getting busted in airports, in the last 5 years.

Mine is one of them.
    2 people like this.
  19. bre420

bre420 New Member

Its a bad idea period.
    3 people like this.
  20. Calculus

Calculus New Member

How about baked goods made with some trees? I remember someone tried to get me to buy some rice krispy treats made with that wonderful plant and I was going on an international flight the next day. I wound up not buying though because I was worried that the x-ray machines would pick up that those "treats" were made with weed.