Alcohol or Fat

Discussion in 'Cooking with Marijuana Recipes' started by kcbennie, Jul 15, 2008.

1. kcbennie

kcbennie New Member

What extracts more THC per gram, grain alchol or fat, i.e. cream, butter, oil, etc.?
    2 people like this.
  2. shibshib

shibshib New Member

Good question... wouldn't mind knowing myself.

I would assume it would be alcohol, though.
  3. kcbennie

kcbennie New Member

Well I guess it's a mystery for the ages.
  4. GiggleSmokerrr

GiggleSmokerrr New Member

i would guess both equally, it just matters like how much time you give it to dissolve into the butter/alcohol, if you heat it, etc etc

although, if you're using like everclear or something, you can't really heat it because you'll blow yourself up. BUT, you can always heat up butter or oil. So, out of the two, i would pick the lipids.
  5. The New Guy

The New Guy New Member

Sorry to have a stupid question, but is this idea that certain foods will bring out a better high?
  6. GiggleSmokerrr

GiggleSmokerrr New Member

No, he's talking about extracting the THC into either a lipid (like butter, oil, etc) or alcohol. Because THC is not water-soluble, but it is fat-soluble and alcohol-soluble.
  7. The New Guy

The New Guy New Member

ah, so for example using thc in a brownie.. i didnt know you could mix thc with alcohol..

by thc, you mean regular cannabis? or some boiled down purified version of the chemical THC?

thanks.
  8. nerphroll

nerphroll Sr. Member

Cannabis contains THC. When you cook with cannabis it's really the THC locked within that you're after. Sometimes it's better to cook with more pure THC, that's already been extracted from the cannabis into another medium, klind of like a THC-from-concentrate. So you can extract the THC into a lipid like butter or oil, or another lipoohilic material like alcohol, and then use that butter to bake a cake or some brownies or muffins etc.
  9. The New Guy

The New Guy New Member

WOw, I would like to learn how to do this. It sounds healthier than smoking the stuff. Although, I did get a vaporizer.
  10. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitect The Cosmic Chronic

From what I understand alcohol is used for extraction, to create a more pure, concentrated substance. THC is soluble in alcohol, but alcohol also evaporates. You can use the alcohol to extract the THC from something to create a more potent item per weight/volume of smoke.
    Hash for example.

Fat is used to absorb THC so it is easily digested and the effects are felt, quicker and more efficiently.
    Brownies for example.
  11. The New Guy

The New Guy New Member

that is cool.. is this like hash oil?
  12. frolic

frolic New Member

I use hash oil

diluted into butter in a double boiler then mix that into the recipe - whether it is brownies cookies or cakes and other edibles there is a better taste.