Amtrak thru Texas

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by lkw, Jan 5, 2012.

1. lkw

lkw New Member

I'm looking at taking Amtrak from Los Angeles to San Antonio and would like advice on best way to bring a 1/2 oz. with me. I will have a bicycle in a box as checked luggage. I hear that the Border Patrol have dogs walk the train in some locations.

What would be best way to pack it or should I just leave it behind.

I'm over fifty with short hair. Just wanting to cycle thru the Southeast for a few months and would like to have a little stash with me for those long days on the bike.
    Thanks

2. Raizor *3GS*

Raizor *3GS* Sr. Member

You would have to know exactly what train stop the dogs would have to be at. If you're Not sure or don't know, you can risk it if you choose to. If there is one on your route, the safest bet is not to bring it with you. Not really sure how you can beat a dogs nose man.

I remember taking a bus ride through texas. We rolled through a checkpoint and came to a stop. The border patrol stepped on the bus and checked ID's. After the ID check the brought a dog onto the bus and walked it down the aisle. Now, mind you, At least 3-4 people around me in the back of the bus I KNEW had weed on them because we had smoked a several of the stop along the way. The dog never paid any mind to it. No clue what happened there.

Pretty much the only thing I have to contribute is it's your choice. I've heard you can try and try some more to hide the smell from a dog but it'll still find it.

2 people like this.
  3. lkw

lkw New Member

Hopeful for more info on Amtrak's Sunset Limited train thru Texas

Thank you for your rely,

It seems to me that I have read else where that just outside of El Paso the DEA or Border Patrol board the train and do a sweep with drug dogs. This can also happen anywhere along the border that the train runs. I'm just trying to find out if this is true.

I will only be carrying a personal stash of 1/4 to and half. I was hopeful that someone recently might have rode this train to verified this.

Again, Thanks.

4. Raizor *3GS*

Raizor *3GS* Sr. Member

Well if we don't provide you a solution before your trip, post back afterwards and let us know you aren't in jail man.