bad cough HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Medicinal Marijuana' started by hightimes129, Feb 14, 2005.

1. hightimes129

hightimes129 New Member

Hi i am fairly new to smoking and i have had a bad cough pretty much as soon as i inhail the smoke. I usually smoke using a joint or bowl. The coughing usually doesnt last long but can be harsh and makes it very hard for me to hold in a hit even on small ones. PS. i have very mild asthma. Thanks!

2. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

You might want to try diluting the smoke with fresh air. Instead of putting the joint or pipe right to your lips, leave a tiny gap so you're sucking in fresh air with the smoke. The more dilute smoke will be less likely to activate your coughing reflex.

Another thing that works for me is menthol/eucalyptus cough drops. They seem to suppress the coughing reflex to some extent.

3. Mamabudz

Mamabudz Guest

The combination of the heat hitting your pharynx (back of your throat) and the irritation of the smoke itself is inducing a cough reflex... and that cough is irritatingly causing more coughing.

Yes, your minor asthma does make you more sensitive ..but the THC in the marijuana is also a bronchial dilator so you may find your breathing actually eases up as well --

Current production of a product called Sativex by GW Pharmeceuticals out of Europe is being marketed for , among other things, asthma medication.

Follow the advice above -- cool down the smoke -- I would suggest a bong with ice water myself, as the water also removes some fo the irritating particulate matter in the smoke.

And do have a cool drink available to sooth your throat if you cough.

Oh...and toke responsibly...it's not a competitive sport.

Hugz,

Mama Budz

4. SonicDaChronic

SonicDaChronic New Member

i heard that coughing makes u moe bent, my friend has a bong then persistently coughs his guts up thinking it is benificial. is there any truth to this or is he just making a dick of himself

5. grillmeats

grillmeats No Longer Active

I heard that too!

I heard that coughing means you got a good hit. I don't like that feeling of losing all my coughing my lungs. I use water to cool down the hit, but I haven't bong hit since the early 80's :)

6. hightimes129

hightimes129 New Member

possibly true

yes i have heard that coughing can make you higher but i am not 100 percent sure of this although i do get higher faster than most of my friends...and as for the coughing means i got a good hit,i sometimes cough like crazy before the smoke even hits my lungs just when it touches my throat.

7. Higher Logic

Higher Logic Web Developar

"You don't get off unless you cough!"

Sounds more like something "we" did when we first started smoking, when it was a "sport" as Mama put it. Take it easy, you'll get high just fine without coughing. I mean, for all the people that smoke cigarettes out there: do you inhale massive amounts of smoke from your cigarette so you cough? No, you still "feel" the effects without coughing, holding your "hit" in, or taking massive amounts in your lungs. It's doing more harm than good, IMO :shrug:

8. hightimes129

hightimes129 New Member

hmm...

yes i see what your saying but to tell you the truth it take sometimes a very small amount so little that you cant even see it when it comes out to send me into a minute long coughing spasm...

9. snakedbz2

snakedbz2 New Member

youre cough should go away after a while it could be virgin lung

10. jazzyninja

jazzyninja New Member

I find having a lolly or lozenge (something wilh a numbing effect, like menthol, etc.)of some sort in ya mouth can help, and even avoids coughing when you have a bad one!.

The trick is to suck on it for a while, build up some of the syrup in your mouth and sort of swallow it, making sure it coates teh upper part of your throat. do this just before a cone. this ensures that the irratative smoke is not directly contacting of the throat membrane.

Make sure your pipe is not blocked in by gunk, as having a blocked pipe may cause to cough when you pull too hard.

also, at the end of the cone pull, make sure you suck in more air after the cone is finished , so that the freasher air is in you windpipe, that is, for the time that it is held in. I find that holding back can sometimes make it worse. sometimes you can just go for it and all is good

11. jack02

jack02 New Member

smoking is harmful

My friend at first you do have to understand that smoking is harmful to our bodies in many ways, but it is the most harmful to the lungs. Smoke from cigarettes contains tar, which sticks to the cilia in our lungs. The cilia usually act like little brooms to sweep out harmful dirt, but when you smoke cigarettes, the cilia can't work because they're covered in sticky tar. That means that dirt can stay in the lungs and cause problems.

12. Sukhavati

Sukhavati New Member

Coughing

Coughing can be a real problem at times. I have experienced pneumonia and bronchitis several times in my life and it is awful.

First let me say that no matter what you do, smoke is an irritant. With mild asthma this is probably always going to be a problem. Luckily there are many fine ways to partake of The Plant.

As mentioned above, ice bonging is great. Keep your bong clean and the water fresh and cool. This will help ensure that bacteria don't grow in the pipe and take up residence in your respiratory tract. If you can, keep your bong in the refrigerator. This keeps it cool and ready for a hit anytime.

That advice is all great if you feel like you really have to smoke it, which of course, you don't. Cooking is easy and will give you a new appreciation of the plant that you never had before. The flavor is incredible and the benefits for those with allergies, frequent respiratory infections, and asthma are unbeatable.

There are some great recipes on this site for foods, butter, and creating your own tinctures (alcohol-based medicines) with hemp.

I recently had a bout of pneumonia that lasted for nearly six weeks. I won't go into the horrors of how bad the coughing was, but let's just say, it was real bad. In the end, the best relief I had was when friends of mine brought some brownies over for me. After two brownies, I was able to sit up for an hour with friends without hacking up lung biscuits. That night I slept like a babe all night long without once coughing myself awake.

Good luck. Hope this helps.

Sukhavati