Baggins, tolkien, and pipe-weed.

Discussion in 'Books' started by Daniel, Mar 25, 2001.

1. Daniel

Daniel Moderator

I really have not heard of anybody talking about marijuana and the book "The Hobbit" along with "The Lord of the Rings".

I mean they smoke their pipe-weed, dress in multi-colorful garb, obviously always have the munchies, are peaceful and enjoy poetry and laughter. They enjoy gardening and natural things.

From the Return of the King:

"Altogether 1420 in the Shire was a marvellous year. Not only was there wonderful sunshine and delicious rain, in due times and perfect measure, but there seemed something more..." "And no one was ill, and everyone was pleased, except those who had to mow the grass"

anybody else think of anything from those books?

2. PatoBanton

PatoBanton Guest

I think your really reaching there.

I don't think Tolkien was an avid drug activist. I think Pipe weed was more like Tobacco.

3. Bailey1138

Bailey1138 Senior Member

Tolkien wasn't a pot head, to the best of my knowledge he never touched the stuff, but he grew up in a completely different era (he fought in WWI). Pipe-weed is supposed to be tobacco, most if not all Tolkien scholars would agree on this. It may in fact be a close relative of tobacco rather than tobacco itself.

4. Daniel

Daniel Moderator

I agree, but...

But,

If you were to say
    "token" (tolkien)
    "pipe-weed"
    "nature"
    "the year 1420"
    put it all together with lots of hunger, wearing bright colors and general lack of aggression, what do you have?

Hobbits.

5. mirage

mirage Guest

1st 420 was not EVEN known back when he wrote it sorry my fellow smoker of the herb, but it came years later.

6. Daniel

Daniel Moderator

I know that. It was just something really cool that I was thinking of at that time.

I think hobbits would be cool high! :)

7. mirage

mirage Guest

a high hobbit with a magic ring that would rule

8. sticky

sticky New Member

its so funny that this thread is going on... i just watched an animation of the lord of the rings. i was thinking how all the hobbits could run around high. i wish my next door neighbor was a hobbit.... :D

9. Daniel

Daniel Moderator

Well, you know...This winter they are going to start the Triology of the "Lord of the Rings". This is going to be really GREAT to watched cannibized. (ummm. that would be high, like I am right now.)

Could you imagine Gandalf Stoned? How about a Hobbit with the munchies? And Elves that ate their "hash Lembas" and wanted to sing and be merry later?

How about all those folks in Southfathing? Do you think that the "pipeweed" went all that way to Isengard just because it was tobacco? No... The war on drugs had started already, and Sauron was the guy in charge...

The Gollum; He was a casulity of war...

By the way... this is my first post really stoned.

10. mirage

mirage Guest

they be the dopest ill chillin type of smokers these hobbits, they dont get the munchies or any of the other baisc stoner stages, they smoke it cause they can and stuff

11. sticky

sticky New Member

hobbits kick ass.