ben harper

Discussion in 'Music' started by huntcc02, Sep 24, 2001.

1. huntcc02

huntcc02 New Member

man, you should all take a listen to this guy. I have only recently gotten into him. if you are into chill out music, then this is the guy for you. His voice is so soothing, and he is amazing at slide guitar. The band name is "ben harper and the innocent criminals." A couple great smoking songs, i.e. "Burn one Down," which mentions some great reasons why smoking pot should be legal: "Herb's a gift from the earth, and what's from the earth is of the greatest worth, so before you knock it, try it first, oh you'll see its a blessing and its not a curse." I have begun referring to him as the Bob Dylon of our time. His songwriting is just so great.

2. 420smokerNYC

420smokerNYC Guest

Hell Yeah...

Ben Harper KICKS ASS!! Check out the albums "Fight For Your Mind" and "The Will To Live" espescially...and if he happens to play near you, GO GO GO!!! he is amazing live...Saw him at Roseland Ballroom in NYC last year...

3. huntcc02

huntcc02 New Member

oh man his inflection in his voice when he sings live is just amazing, it almost brings me to tears, and I am not usually a crying man. Everyone go see this guy!

4. Bear

Bear Guest

Got your hands on some of his live stuff (I have some great tunes from the Montreal Jazz Fest, I think) and you will enjoy him in an even better light. I always liked him, but hearing him live brings a whole new respect (well, I guess that goes for many of the bands I like...)

5. msxcentrx

msxcentrx New Member

ben harper is absolutly phenominal! i first ssaw him...****, its gotta be almost 6 yrs now, at a friends house when reverb first came on. i had no idea who he was but he completly entranced me! i hope i'm able to catch him live soon.

6. msxcentrx

msxcentrx New Member

ben harper is absolutly phenominal! i first ssaw him... its gotta be almost 6 yrs now, at a friends house when reverb first came on. i had no idea who he was but he completly entranced me! i hope i'm able to catch him live soon.

7. Slightly Stoopid

Slightly Stoopid Senior Member

Ben Harper is the best.. I beleive i brought this thread up before, but you can't have enough ben harper, seriously. His latest release "Live from the Moon" is probably the most played CD i have ever bought.

ANYBODY could appreciate Ben, and seeing him in concert is magical! Nuff Said

8. huntcc02

huntcc02 New Member

isn't it live from mars?? Or is live from the moon a cd that I just haven't heard of yet?

9. Slightly Stoopid

Yes live from mars. My train of thought must have been whacked then.

10. rum

rum Guest

His music is phenomanal but uhh, i don't know, i don't listen to it all that much because it's not all that interesting (lyrics wise,...) but that is my opinion..

11. Slightly Stoopid

I love ben harper because of his lyrics :)

12. Slightly Stoopid

Anyone that lives anywhere near Texas, he will be playing on the 21st, a Sunday, in Austin. I'm going to be driving up that weekend from Alabama to meet up with a couple of friends for the concert. He is going to tour in Europe for quite a while after this, and this is the last time you can see him live for about 6 months. So if you are dying to see him live again, this is your warning.

If you are going, you gotta let me know. I am stoked for this concert.

13. weedzinger

weedzinger Seasoned Activist

No way SS:mad:, I forgot that you are going Uxx in Alabama. A friend of mine is going and I used to wait for his class to end and then we'd smoke. I totally know 2 people who would make the trek with you to Ben Harper, PM me sometime. Sucks I cant meet you, I just moved from Bham to Denver, for the time being. Ill be back in Bham someday. :p

14. Herb Ninja

Herb Ninja Seasoned Activist

Ya ben harper is good, I just started listening to him. :) In fact i'm listening to I'm gonna burn one down right now. :chokin:

15. Slightly Stoopid

Weedzinger, where in Alabama did you live? I'm at school in Mobile.

16. Herb Ninja

I have "Fight for your mind" and "Diamonds on the inside." They didn't have live from mars or the will to live. Guess ill have to find those some day somewhere else. :)

17. Beatlejuice

Beatlejuice Sr. Member

Ben Harper is excellent.....The comparison to Bob Dylan makes sense....they're both great songwriters, and neither of their music is technically difficult. Harper's is so much softer anf chilled out though. Very relaxing.

18. Slightly Stoopid

Herb Ninja, just worry about getting The Will to Live. Live from Mars, while good is just a compelation of all his other cds, with some differences.

You can find the will to live on amazon for less than 8$ brand new, just look at the "Used" section to find someone that is selling a new cd for cheaper than amazon's price.

19. Herb Ninja

It was kinda funny, I was in borders the other day, and all their little search computers were broken so I was just looking through all the b's in music. Eventually I became frustrated, I found none. I wondered, is it somewhere akward, under r&b or christian rock, reggae or folk. So I approached the customer service desk and kindly asked the women if she can tell me where I could find Ben Harper. "Have you loooked already?" she asked. Its under pop/rock under H. Doh!! Of course ive been looking under B this whole time, silly me.

Thanks for the advice SS, I might get Live from Mars as well some day because his live stuff is just really good too. I realized alot of the songs were on other cds though, which is a shame but makes some sense. First but not least ill go get The Will To Live, whenever i'm back at borders or at a cd shop that is.

Ohh and may I ask, how are The Innocent Criminals for a band? I don't ever remember hearing them.

20. Slightly Stoopid

The innocent criminals are the ones that play with Ben. You've heard em plenty:)