Best affordable vaporizer?

Discussion in 'Vaporizers' started by teog, Nov 28, 2005.

1. teog

teog New Member

What is the best affordable vaporizer?

i was thinking about buying a vape genie because its small portable and theres no metals or heating elements just a match,candle or lighter but i would like to hear reviews of other vapes before purchasing one
  2. teog

teog New Member

i have decide to buy a INAVAP instead has anyone ever used one of these and what were your thoughts?

http://www.inavap.com/

never mind i found out it was an all plastic vape
  3. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

That all depends on the size of your wallet. How much are you ready to spend?

After a lot of research I decided on the VaporBrothers unit, which you can get for $125 (delivered) or less on eBay.
  4. teog

teog New Member

5. Buzzby

How have you managed to live to be 25 years old and not have a credit card? I got my first one at 16 and wouldn't know what to do without one.
  6. teog

teog New Member

i would spend more than i could afford if i had one

im taking it that you dont know any good online shops? that will ship to canada
  7. Buzzby

If you can't pay online from a credit card or directly from your checking account, almost any shop will accept personal checks or money orders. If you send a personal check it will take longer as they won't ship until the check clears. If the shop is in another country, it might take quite a while for the check to clear.
  8. teog

teog New Member

i can use my parents credit card as the statement doesnt say anything about marijauna
  9. Tokamak

Tokamak Active Member

So far as vaporizers go, I bought one of the cheap soildering-iron/glass dome types that everybody seems so against. It cost me $30 at a local tobacco shop. It actually works surprisingly well. The amount of weed needed to get nicely baked is absolutely tiny (a flattened pinch about the size of a dime or less). Furthermore, some of the vapor condenses on the inside of the glass dome; once its got a nice layer built up, I use a cap full of 100% acetone to dissolve the condensate, pour it into a flat glass pan, let it thoroughly dry till there is no more acetone smell, scrape it up with a razor blade, and smoke it. It has the flavor, look, and potency of honey hash oil (use it in the vape, and you won't lose any!).

As you can probably tell, I love my vaporizer. Its clean, its healthier, and it produces little to no smell. I'm sure a Volcano or VaporBros. would be nicer, but I only spent $30. I could've gotten a nice fat sack with the money I saved.

Peace.
  10. teog

teog New Member

dude did u just put the weed on the metal thingy and it heats iup or is there air bflowing thru it so its not on a heaitng element '?
  11. Buzzby

Conduction vaporizers heat weed against a metal heating element inside a glass dome. There are holes under the dome for air intake and a hose for output. Vapors rise off the heated weed and are captured inside the dome. You suck on the hose to clear the dome.

They look something like this:

[​IMG]

A convection vaporizer generates hot air that is either sucked or blown through a wad of weed, vaporizing the cannabinoids in the process.
  12. nornerator

nornerator New Member

Best and cheapest one I made out of one of those glass cigar packages (looks like a test tube) used the cork for the seal, punched a hole big enough for a pen to go through, and then punched a small carb into the cork, dump a little weed in, heat it up with a lighter and wait for the sweet smoke! The first time I used it I was very dissapointed, but then I bought some primo ganga, and tried just a little bit today, and let me tell you, its amazing, just a tiny little pinch and I've been blown for 2 hours probably not even a tenth of a gram, albeit it was $40/eighth. Damn
  13. Buzzby

The first vape I tried was a test tube thingy. Accurate temperature control was impossible: either the weed got hot enough to smolder or it didn't get hot enough to vaporize all of the cannabinoids.

Pros: dirt cheap, portable
    Cons: either smoke or incomplete vaporization, clumsy, inconvenient

Next I got one of the BC Vaporizers they sell on eBay. It was a hot plate/dome conduction vaporizer. It had better temp control than the test tube vape, but tended to get too hot right next to the heating element and not hot enough in the layer of weed away from the heating element. You could get all the vapors by taking off the dome and mixing up the charge until all of it had come in contact with the heating element.

Pros: easier to get full vaporization, relatively cheap
    Cons: not as portable, much of the vaporized resin would condense on the globe, fussy about thickness of weed charge, need to disassemble to stir charge

Finally, I put out $130 and got a VaporBrothers convection vape. It has excellent temperature control. Nothing touches the weed or vapor besides glass, food-grade plastic tubing, and a stainless steel screen. It only produces vapor while you are sucking heated air through the "whip", so nothing is wasted.

Pros: ease of use, complete vaporization, no waste, little internal condensation
    Cons: relatively expensive, glass components of whip prone to breakage (because you move it around so much you need to be careful), changing screens a little tricky

Since I got the VB I haven't smoked except when I'm not at home. Vaping produces a better high and uses a lot less weed.
  14. Tokamak

Tokamak Active Member

Next I got one of the BC Vaporizers they sell on eBay. It was a hot plate/dome conduction vaporizer. It had better temp control than the test tube vape, but tended to get too hot right next to the heating element and not hot enough in the layer of weed away from the heating element. You could get all the vapors by taking off the dome and mixing up the charge until all of it had come in contact with the heating element.

Pros: easier to get full vaporization, relatively cheap
    Cons: not as portable, much of the vaporized resin would condense on the globe, fussy about thickness of weed charge, need to disassemble to stir charge

The trick I've found in using this type of vaporizer is to only use a very small amount of weed, and compress it as flat as possible against the hot plate surface. There shouldn't be any need to stir the charge unless you use too much and don't compact it. I've tested the post vape remains for any left over goodies (by smoking them) and I can honestly say that they not only tast disgusting, but they don't produce any buzz whatsoever. Ergo, I think its safe to say that the amount of THC that doesn't get vaporized is so negligible as to be of no concern. As I said in a previous post, the fact that some of the vapor condenses on the globe isn't too much of a problem because it can be recovered and smoked, with the help of a solvent. I see it as an added bonus, actually, as the vapor resin that's recovered is REALLY potent and tastes like hash.

Peace.
  15. nornerator

nornerator New Member

I just have to say that since I switched to using that homemade vaporizer I'm never going to go back to smoking, unless its someone else handing me a joint or a bong hit from their stash. I can get high 30-40 times off of an 1/8th, before it was 1-3 times getting high. So yeah, this is really nice!
  16. green medicine

green medicine New Member

hello, I'm a newly registered member... Hopefully, someone can help me out.
    I bought my first vaporizer yesterday, a wood box design with a glass heating element in the middle pointing up at an angle.. You attach the hose or just touch the heating element and inhale. I just can't seem to get it to work right. Occasionally, I think I see a few vapors as I exhale but not a lot. I don't seem to be getting high at all. I feel like I'm getting higher from taking all the deep breaths.. lol I let it warm up for quite some time and turned it all the way up. How do I get this thing to work right?

thanks!

[​IMG]
  17. vern

vern Sr. Member

If your pulling on it too hard you will bring the temp down too far. Try around with different strengths until you get it just right. Is your weed black when your done? If so you need to turn the temp down, the vaped weed looks brownish.
  18. green medicine

green medicine New Member

cool thanks! I just let it heat up for a long time.. flattened out the herb as was suggested in an earlier post, and put the glass bowl all the way on the heating element. I definitely got a good draw. I guess it's going to take a minute to get it right. I'm looking forward to cleaner lungs and herb conservation..
  19. vapoking

vapoking New Member

DIY convection vap

These are the plans for a vaporizer I made for myself. Its a convection style like the vapor bros. vaporiser. I've used a vapor bros. and i'd say the vapor quality from mine is as good. The unit is less convenient to use since one piece heats up and requires cooling in water periodically. it takes about three hours to make including driving to and shopping, and can be done for about $25. http://www.instructables.com/id/EKUYZ1LF11S8S0O/