Best Wood For Pipes

Discussion in 'Homemade Paraphernalia' started by simply dope, Feb 20, 2008.

1. simply dope

simply dope New Member

Hey to all I am getting into wood working and a pipe on ebay gave me inspiration to make my own and was wondering what kind of wood would be best for this. (haha read how many double u's that is) The specs are about 3x1.75x.75 (it will be rectangular) and will need to be hollowed and not burn from the light source. Any one here have exprience with home made wooden pipes, and know what wood would be best for this. (durable, weight doesnt matter, perferably, nice looking wood)
  2. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

The ultimate wood for making pipes is briar. It's the root of a shrub, very hard, very dense, and very resistant to fire. It can have beautiful grain and will take a high polish. They've been making fine tobacco pipes out of it for centuries. Go to eBay and search for "briar blocks". You'll find hundreds for sale.
  3. sterbo

sterbo sailor dog...

You might also want to consider Cherry.
    It is a truly beautiful wood, easy to come by and varying in species.

I have two, one passed down to me by my Grandpa and one I made myself.
    Mine from my Gramps is my favorite cause he coated the stem with Stockholm tar, it seems over and over again, each time heating it and wiping it down to work the tar into the grain.
    Not only was the result a beautifully blackened sheen but the smell when warmed brings on a resonance of youthful memories,
    not unlike an old potbelly stove churning coal fire on a long winter's night...
  4. 5drive

5drive Slacker

Another excellent choice for pipes is lemon wood. Don't know how available it is.
  5. chadwick

chadwick Sr. Member

hold a lighter under it for about 30 seconds if the wood its self starts to burn than its no good, if it just leave a mark from the burning fluid than its good, dense wood is better go with briar if possible
  6. Deadly_High

Deadly_High New Member

Briar, oak, and cherry are all very wonderful made about 5 of each in my woodworking class this year. (Teacher saw me and said it was a wonderful looking project but only come in after school to do them from now on.)
    Walnut, pine, and papler are not to good because of taste and how they burn.

Deadly High!
  7. swear

swear New Member

hi I'm new here, and was wandering has anyone tried pecan wood for a pipe or for a stem?
  8. briar is good once you have the feel of it. basswood and balsa to start with to get the hang of wood carving and such. i suggest buying a cheap pack of wood carving tools at walmart for about 5 dollars.
  9. tombarney

tombarney New Member

Maple is hard and you might get scraps from a local cabinet shop for free that are big enough.Ask the owner if he has a burn pile You can look through.
  10. Bud Is good

Bud Is good Resident non smoker

This thread is all about hard wood...
  11. Kush70

Kush70 New Member

hickory is a great wood for pipes

i've made a bunch from it !
  12. Haze24

Haze24 New Member

I've heard aa lot of fruit trees are good, such as apple, plum, cherry, and mango... I've heard that citrus fruits aren't very good for wooden pipes though so I wouldn't recommend lemon, orange, or stuff like that
  13. Jim Roach

Jim Roach New Member

Most of your local hardwoods are good for pipes. Any pipe will char on the surface and can take years to burn out. Small bowls works best for wooden pipes . 3/8" to 5/8