Body produces THC?

Discussion in 'Medicinal Marijuana' started by Hydrocronics, Feb 12, 2002.

1. Hydrocronics

Hydrocronics Guest

I just read on the survey about the DEA and Hemp that "The body produces THC, isn't that illegal too?"
    Is this true? That's a new one on me. :sulkoff:

No WONDER I'm stoned all the time! ;)

But of course, yes, I realize the fact that it would be a minute amount of THC. So is this true? Obviously not enough to be picked up even on drug tests...? This confuses me.

Peace. heh:wave:

2. ikari

ikari Seasoned Activist

from what i know, THC is shaped the same as 2 naturally occuring neurotransmitters that occur in the body.

anandamide (for CB1)
    palmitylethanolamide (for CB2)

CB1 recepters are in the brain, and CB2 are on the nervous system

so i guess "technically" the body makes THC, but it's not actually THC, and it's used for actual things.
    ie. when the CB1 is blocked in animals, they eat less than if it's not. This is one of the theories for the "munchies"

3. KingOat420

KingOat420 New Member

I read something like that a while ago... actually here is the actual article

http://exn.ca/Stories/1999/10/12/60.asp

that says that it produces marijuana LIKE substance, which i'm sure isn't the same as thc...

but like most things, this article could be wrong...

????

-kingoat

4. HitTheHammeR

HitTheHammeR New Member

yes...

from what ive read (which could be wrong)
    our body does produce endocannabanoids and we do have cannabis receptors in our brain and nervous system

and ive heard the same thing about the munchies theory, when the cannabis receptors are blocked in mice, they tend to eat a lot less

5. FootlongFatty

FootlongFatty Senior Member

yeah i wouldn't be surprised if it was, i know some other strong psychadelic drugs that i won't mention are found naturally in the brain, even more so when you sleep.

6. Ross

Ross Seasoned Activist

We need mama budz's input here. I know for a fact that she knows the answer

7. Mamabudz

Mamabudz Guest

So nice to be needed...

Yes there are naturally occuring cannabinoid like compounds in the human body...

~ cookies for everyone :D (ikari...nice work!)

Hugz

Mama Budz