bong or joint, which truely give you a higher THC/tar ratio

Discussion in 'Medicinal Marijuana' started by chadwick, May 7, 2008.

1. chadwick

chadwick Sr. Member

ok so their are two studies im going to use for this cause both contain the information needed to answer this question

until just 5 minutes ago i believed this study had it correct

California NORML/MAPS Smoking Device Study

"Disappointingly, waterpipes performed uniformly worse than the unfiltered joint. The least bad waterpipe, the bong, produced 30% more tar per cannabinoids than the unfiltered joint. Ironically, the pipe with the electric mixer scored by far the worst of any device. This suggests that water filtration is actually counterproductive, apparently because water tends to absorb THC more readily than other, noxious tars."

Marijuana and the Brain, Part II: The Tolerance Factor

"While most users are familiar with varying potencies of marijuana, many are only vaguely aware of differences in the efficiency of various ways to smoke it. Clinical studies indicate that only 10 to 20% of the available THC is transferred from a joint cigarette to the body. A pipe is better, allowing for 45% of the available THC to be consumed. A bong is a very efficient delivery system for marijuana; in ideal conditions the only THC lost is in the exhaled smoke."

but if like the second study says your get nearly 90%-100% (when held in for around 5 seconds) from a bong as apposed to 10%-20%

so what is the correct answer cause i would prefer to use the cleanest smoking method
  2. chadwick

chadwick Sr. Member

by cleanest smoking method i dont include vaporizers since you just cant beat them
  3. mufasa5446

mufasa5446 New Member

I was under the impression that water doesn't absorb much THC (at least it doesn't when it deals with cooking as far as I know).

I've heard vaporizing is a lot cleaner, but you have to be cautious with the temperature otherwise you get more of the other chemicals as well correct?

When I take a hit from a bong, it typically "feels" cleaner than a hit from a joint (if that makes sense).

I'm curious if there is an exact answer to this. I was always under the impression that water bongs and such were better for you than joints and pipes/spoons
  4. cyberdemon360

cyberdemon360 New Member

Well those studies dont really pretain much to ur ?, ur asking which has the highest thc/tar ratio, the study is disscussing which method is ideal for least amount of thc waste, personally id say it depends how u smoke each thing, like for a joint as u smoke the tar will build up on the weed closer to ur mouth so if u smoke the roach you will get high amount of tar in ur lungs, but for a waterless bong the tar will build up on inside edges of it, for a water bong it will do the same plus some will be absord by the water it is clear to see if u smoke through the same water several times. So if u like to smoke a joint all the way through including the roach then go with a bong but if u leave that for someone else then i recommend it.
  5. badxinflunc3x420

badxinflunc3x420 New Member

i agree because i smoke out of a bong all the time and get really high i hold it in for as long as i can its the best way to do it