Bud to Leaf Conversion

Discussion in 'Cooking with Marijuana Recipes' started by slake, Mar 30, 2001.

1. slake

slake New Member

Does anybody know what a good conversion rate from amount of buds to amount of leaves is?

For example does anyone know what would be the equivalent amount of leaves for something that calls for 1 cup of buds?

I was thinking of doing some trial and error testing, but I just don't have enough bud. I have plenty of leaves though and don't want them to go to waste. So I would really like to use them in some bud recipes.

You guys have me absolutely drooling over some of these recipes! Thank you in advance for any information you can give me.

2. Panama

Panama Seasoned Activist

Hmmm

It's better to use weight measurements rather than volume. The amount of weed used is up to the individual taste and tolerance, but usually a gram and one half will be plenty. (Leaf is lower in THC, so using just a little more would be advisable.

Also, if a recipe calls for a cup of marijuana it had better be for a recipe that serves a lot of people because it would take about a half ounce of finely chopped bud or leaf to fill a measuring cup.

Pan

2 people like this.
  3. slake

slake New Member

Thanks for the info. I will do some cooking here soon and if it's worth posting I'll let you guys know what I found out. I was just using the cup as an example, not that I saw it in a recipe, cause your right that would be a lot of herb :)

4. Iron Lung

Iron Lung Guest

Instead of using the leaves for cooking, why not make some hash!

{Moderator Note: Link Removed. We do not allow commercial endorsements.}

5. rob

rob Guest

wow, a cup of buds.

Hope u aren't busy for the next week or so.

Just jokin, maybe u are makin a big cake.
    I can't cook water, but my wife recalls an ounce doing about 2 dozen cookies.

It's been a while since we ate gear though.
    I don't know why, I really think it's a better stone.

rob

ps. if u havent eaten pot before, don't get yourself anywhere that u can't get home from easily.
    What I mean to say, is that often times, u can think nothing is going to come on, and u end up driving up the coast, only to find that u are to STONED to drive home.

or something

6. ChefJeff2010

ChefJeff2010 New Member

Ratio Conversion

TO SLAKE and PANAMA, hope this helps for you all, it just a small list of simple conversions along with some general info too....

CannaButter Ingredients:

? 1 lb unsalted butter
    ? dried cannabis (see * below)
    ? 4 - 5 L water
    ? 1 large stockpot
    ? a 2nd pot or large bowl
    ? a colander (spaghetti strainer) that will fit in the 2nd pot or bowl
    ? a large piece of cheesecloth
    ? a big spoon and potato masher

* If you have: Stems, seeds, leaves
    Mild potency use: 225 grams
    Strong potency use: 450 g

Mostly leaves, some stems
    Mild: 120 g
    Strong: 250 g

Leaves, trim from buds
    Mild: 28 g
    Strong: 56 g

Regular cannabis buds
    Mild: 14 g
    Strong: 28 g

Powerful cannabis or hash
    Mild: 7 g
    Strong: 14 g

Directions:

1) Place butter, cannabis, and water in a large stockpot, put the pot on a large element on the lowest setting possible.

2) Simmer for 6 - 8 hours. Stir every 1/2 hour.

3) When you are ready to strain, put the colander over the second pot or bowl. Line it with a large piece of cheesecloth. Using the spoon, slowly pour the brew into the cheesecloth. Don?t let the sides fall in.

4) Wrap the mixture tight and squeeze every last drop of juice out. The butter will want to cling between the leaves. Use the potato masher against the colander to squeeze out the precious juices.

5) Throw out the contents of the cheesecloth, then refrigerate the liquid in the pot. The butter and water will separate, and all the THC is in the butter. You can dump the water and store the butter in the fridge. If you don?t plan to use it within a week, freeze it, as butter will go bad.
    :mj2::mj2:THE CHEF:mj2::mj2:

7. k_semler

k_semler Sr. Member

Assuming you get dank in, (I only buy dank and mids. Fuck brown bud):

If your looking to make some special treats, Cannabutter is a vital ingredient. The process of making cannabutter is basically just melting butter with marijuana, Straining the marijuana And then re-solidifying the butter. This works because THC (the chemical in marijuana that gets you "high") sticks to the fat cells in butter. Cannabutter can be used in any recipe that calls for butter or oil.

In this thread I will attempt to teach those who don't know how to make Cannabutter, how to do so. The pictures may help a little but in the end it's the text that will help you most.

You will need,

1.) A large saucepan

2.) A stir spoon

3.) Sticks Of Butter (Its about 1lb. of butter to every ounce of weed so make sure you do the math).

4.20) Marijuana

5.) Cheesecloth, and some elastics

6.) A couple tupperware containers with lids

Step 1.

Bring a few cups of water to a boil on the stovetop, it doesn't really matter how much water you use because in the end it will all be seperated, Just make sure the marijuana is always floating about 1 1/2 inches from the bottom of the pan.

Step 2.

When the water is at a boil place the butter in the pan, again it's about 1lb. of butter, 4 sticks, to every ounce of marijuana, so if your using a half ounce of bud thats about 2 sticks of butter. Be sure not to let the butter burn, if it appears to be burning then let melt on a medium setting.

Move the dial to low heat once butter has melted, it should look like this
    [​IMG]

Step 3.

Now that the butter has melted you can now add the marijuana, Here I used about 5 grams of fresh nug and about 7 grams of vaped bud. Again make sure the stove is now on a low setting.

Stir occasionally, I tend to stir every time the mix starts bubbling.
    I usually let the bud simmer for 3 hours, But you can always tell it's done when the top of the mix turns from a really watery consistency to glossy and thick.

Step 4.

While letting the mix simmer, You are now going to need to get the cheesecloth strainer ready, which will also be used to store the cannabutter.

Take two sheets of cheese cloth and fold each one over so they each have two layers, place these over a tupperware container (with the lid off), and secure them there with elastics.

It shoud look like this, I say to make two just incase one container runs out of room.
    [​IMG]

Step 5.

When the water has turned glossy and thick on top it should look like this
    [​IMG]

You are now ready to strain the marijuana out of the mix, place your tupperware containers with the cheesecloth lids in the sink and slowly pour the entire mix on top of the cheesecloth like pictured here,
    [​IMG]

When the saucepan is empty carefully undo the elastic, pick up the cheesecloth from all four sides and squeeze all of the remaining butter out,
    [​IMG]

I throw away the marijuana after this, you can try and dry it out, let me know what happens.

Step 6.

Now place the lid on the tupperware and place it in the fridge to sit overnight, You need to do this so the water can seperare from the cannabutter, be patient.

Step 7.

Now that you have awakened in anticipation for your new treat, its time to seperate the waste water!

It should look like this now, The cannabutter on top, the waste water on bottom.
    [​IMG]

Take the lid off the tuperware and hold it upside down over the sink, place a dish in the sink to catch any cannabutter that may fall, squeeze two sides of the tupperware and the waste water will pour out, once all the water is gone your done! The cannabutter is ready to cook with.

[​IMG]

If you do not wish to cook with it now, you can just place it back in the tupperware, place the lid back on and store it in the fridge.

And be careful, the high from eating "special edibles" is often considered much more intense then inhaling, lasting anywhere from 2-8 hours. Do not attempt to eat too many at first. And I wouldn't recommend driving. Just chill out, and enjoy!