Busted Brownies...

Discussion in 'Cooking with Marijuana Recipes' started by Sicness, Jun 21, 2008.

1. Sicness

Sicness New Member

A friend and I tryed to make brownies last night using a half ounce of mids (low grade). My stove actualy has a simmer option on it so while cooking the marijuana in the oil on simmer for about 25 30 minutes. Put the oil into the brownie mix and proceded to bake. The brownies smelled and tasted like weed even though we took out almost all the bud. We did not get high as a result of eating and had to resort to smoking a blunt of what we put aside.

Now i was wondering if anyone can tell me what went wrong. I think we did not have the stove high enough to extract the THC. When im trying to get the THC out by cooking it with oil should there be bubbles forming around the edges? If someone could give me some pointers that would be great.
  2. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

I would suspect that you didn't use enough weed. Simmering in oil for half an hour should do a pretty thorough extraction. You used a half ounce of low grade weed. How many doses did you expect to get out of it?

I put a quarter ounce of KB into a batch of brownies (9" x9" pan, 16 brownies) and could get pretty high on two of them. I cooked the weed into the oil for half an hour using a double boiler, which would produce a lower level of heat compared to your "simmer" setting. If your oil was bubbling around the edges, it was plenty hot.
    2 people like this.
  3. sammyb12

sammyb12 New Member

Yeah, that's weird... I've had similar experiences, where I think I'm going to get bulldozed by food and it doesn't work out that way. I would agree with the previous post - it's likely a function of the weed itself.
  4. Sicness

Sicness New Member

Yeah could have been the trees but everyone who i know whos eaten brownies has used mids....but the pot was not at a bubbling stage which i thought it should be and the oil still kinda looked like regular oil instead of a dark extract when removed.....i might try it again just below boiling...we got 9 brownies out of the pan and the brownies defiently tasted like weed.
  5. Huffy_419

Huffy_419 New Member

When i made the brownies, i used the canabutter method. I used mids, i made a batch of 12, w/ butter left over. Me and 2 friends ate 3 each and w/in 2hrs were passed out for about 6 hrs woke up at 3am, stoned as hell. Didnt go to sleep till Noon, still high.
  6. Sicness

Sicness New Member

Yeah i do beleive mids to be strong enough, im assuming my method of extracting the THC was not good enough and will try the stove on a higher setting
  7. w3zzy

w3zzy New Member

Im going to try to replicate this recipe in a few days. Could you go into more detail on how to cook the weed into the oil via using the double boiler? I want to use 1/4 ounce as well. I dont know the specifics and have tried searching but mostly found canna-butter recipes only
  8. negaDuck

negaDuck straight rollin'

put on a big pot of water to boil. Place weed and oil in a bowl that will fit over tha top of tha big water pot without falling in or off. Place weed/oil bowl on top of boiling water pot. This will keep your oil at ~100C, as it's being heated by tha water/steam, not direct heat.
    2 people like this.
  9. w3zzy

w3zzy New Member

Okay understood. So I let it boil for 30 minutes like he did. I assume I use the same amount of oil as MJ. SO quarter ounce of oil as well? What type of oil?

I dont understand why it only takes 30 minutes via double-boil method, but simmering in butter takes hours, and crock pot oil method takes even more hours lol.

So pretty much.... how much oil for quarter oz of MJ and what kind (corn,veg,olive)? lol
  10. negaDuck

negaDuck straight rollin'

olive oil has tha highest fat content, i believe...but it tastes like shit when added to brownies. I'd use Veggie oil.

And I'm not sure if it's an exact ratio of bud to oil, I'd use a cup of oil for a quarter ounce of greenery. Always better to have more space for tha trichomes to dissolve into than not enough
    2 people like this.