can I lose weight and still test positive?

Discussion in 'Urine Testing' started by bluewolf, Jul 1, 2006.

1. bluewolf

bluewolf New Member

Heres my story: I just passed a U A for work. I had been four months clean so I knew i would pass. There is a possibility that some time in the future there will be randoms, although I doubt it. ( I am a school teacher )
    I am 100 lbs overweight and have started seeing a nutritionist and a doctor and I am eating right and working out. I dont plan on smoking pot anymore because I want to be healthy and I dont want to take the chance with my job.
    Lets say 4 or 5 months from they start doing randoms and I have lost a good forty fifty pounds. Now remember I will have been clean a good eight or nine months, because I am still burning up fat cells will I test positive for thc?? Even after eight or nine months?? Thc metabolites eventually will leave your body wont they? I mean given enough time dont they break down into other compound
    s as long as you are not smoking pot and adding to them??
    I would really like opinons on this because I want to continue my healthy eating and exercising and not have to worry if down the line i test positive even if i am not smoking!! some input on this would be greatly appreciated!!! thank you.
  2. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

The longest period we've had reported for getting clean enough to pass a UA is 105 day. This was from an extremely overweight, totally sedentary smoker who consumed ridiculous amounts of weed.

THC metabolites have a half-life in the human body in the range of 36 to 48 hours. A lab test for your current levels would give you an approximate time in which you'd be clean without taking any special measures. Fat-burning exercise should speed up the process.

If you are testing clean now, I really don't think you have much to worry about from residuals in your body fat.
  3. Budiz

Budiz New Member

Agreed, Unless you are working out for hours right until the test in which case there may be some 2 year old fat with 2 year old thc, from the night you went to that concert and smoked an ounce of dank to your face. Then that fat would have to be burned and released with enough THC to fail a test. If you could only remember which layer of fat you were burning and how much TCH is in it. Oh well. Or you could just buy a home test.

Regards
  4. oneluv4boognish

oneluv4boognish New Member

According to books/literature i'm.....85 lbs overweight...even though to think i'd ever be 145 is a retarded thought. It took me 4 weeks to get clean...and that was smoking about two bowls a day for two and a half years and then cutting back to about one bowl a day for about three months before finally quitting. Once again i find myself about to mention getting home tests off ebay, and yet again i wonder why the hell i'm not selling the things on ebay...i bet that dude makes killer money :(
  5. Secs

Secs New Member

Budiz, I believe THC breaks down over time. Any THC remaining in fat cells that are over 90 days to 6 months old will have degraded so far that they will not be detected.

Buzzby, I need a bit of help on this one.

Oneluv, I ask myself the same thing only with the drug stores. They sell the single THC panel tests for $15 and up. I sell them for $5. I could double my profit and still be 33% less than Wallyworld. I just can't rip off the consumer that much (Just a lettle bit :D , Hey, I gotta eat and buy gasoline :( ). I purchase them from the Wholesaler for .82 cents each (I have to purchase a very large quantity though). Even the guy on Ebay is getting a more than 100% profit.
  6. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

It doesn't work that way. THC metabolites leach out of body fat whether you burn it or not. The longest reported period for a positive test result reported on this site is 105 days of abstinence.

My understanding is that the half-life of THC metabolites in the human body is 36-48 hours. That means that after two days you'll have half the quantity you had at the beginning. The more body fat you carry, the more you're likely to be near the high end of that variable time span.

July 01 = 800ng/ml
    July 03 = 400 ng/ml
    July 05 = 200 ng/ml
    July 07 = 100 ng/ml
    July 09 = 50 ng/ml
    July 11 = 25 ng/ml
  7. FakeBoobsRule

FakeBoobsRule Nice legs are a must (LC)

Budiz, your enthusiasm is commendable but this is not the first time you have given "questionable" advice. You make it sound like a layer of fat containing THC is deposited in the body, then another layer of fat (which may or may not contain THC) is deposited and another layer is deposited on top of that. This sounds more like painting than human physiology. It isn't like you have to get down to the base coat or primer. Adipose (fat ) tissue contains blood vessels. It is not devoid of circulation. The fat is not stopping the THC metabolism completely or putting it into suspended animation or anything crazy like this. It just means that people with higher body fat tend to metabolize THC slower than lean people. Muscle does have better blood circulation and most people know that THC is fat soluble and therefore THC has an affinity for adipose tissue. These are two of the more important factors why people who have higher body fat tend to metabolize slower. You don't have to get down to that "layer" as you like to call it and hit the THC reserve like you are deep sea oil drilling to metabolize the THC. It just slows it down and not brings it to a complete halt. Buzzby gives a great "visual" aide in his post with his understanding of half life and first order elimination.
  8. Budiz

Budiz New Member

It was a joke.....please.
    The body does not increase the number of fat cells when you gain weight. Likewise when losing weight you do not lose fat cells they get smalle. <--Little effect on thc metabolism. THC metabolites are released into the urine and bile at a rate dependant on Adsorption Distribution Metabolism and Excretion pharmacokinetics. Of specific interest would be the specific cytochromes that break down THC to an acidic form, and there would then be a sub set population that metabolize THC more and a subset that metabolizes less. These characteristics along with body fat play an integral part in the time it would take to eliminate all metabolite in the body. As you may know MJ exhibits 2 compartment kinetics in which the fat serves as the secondary compartment in terms of elimination.

My post was simply a satire of the original post. I guess sarcasm doesnt work with everyone. Its really popular where im from. My enthusuiasm is also backed by 8 years of schooling.

I would like to read that section on the first order elimination, Hope it takes into consideration multi compartments!

Regards
  9. FakeBoobsRule

I haven't been on here for long but I am a quick learner. The drug testing forums are not the place for jokes and sarcasm. People come here looking for serious answers because their job or freedom may be in jeopardy. They come here worried and scared and afraid and need answers. They are not here to play games and get bad info. Sec3 told you earlier that in this forum it is more of a discussion than a place to argue. If you want to be sarcastic or joke around, you should hang out in some of the different areas of the forum. Coming here and joking and misleading people and not taking things seriously is almost as bad as making jokes about the dead person at a funeral.

You keep throwing up that you have all this "schooling" too. Do you think you are the only person here with an education higher than a GED? Many people here have degrees and post-graduate work. You said you were an intern at a drug store chain. That probably means you just got into pharmacy school, you have finished a professional year, or you have graduated and you are just now waiting to get in your hours. Which is it? Pharmacy school is a 6 year degree. Why has it taken you 8 years? BTW, did they teach you the difference between its and it's?
  10. Budiz

Budiz New Member

Pharmacy school can be a 6 year degree. However having a bachelors in science and doctorate in medicinal chemistry requires 8. It seems to me that you are the one who likes to argue about things that don't matter. Lighten up, you might actually get high.

you said "BTW, did they teach you the difference between its and it's?

Its smart ass comments like that that keep you from being credible. You can learn alot more from the moderators other than what they post about drug testing, try to learn how they communicate with people in a respectful manner.
  11. FakeBoobsRule

The High Road

Out of respect for this forum and everyone here, I will just take the high road on this one; and I'm not taking about the question posed in the thread. I am not going to lower myself to that level. I'm not here to argue.
  12. grillmeats

grillmeats No Longer Active

That is the American Way. We have the right to free speech, but must also learn to use self control when we are not in aggreement with each other.
    Happy 4th Dudes
  13. Budiz

Budiz New Member

Man, I feel awfully respected.