Can I use thread to tie a plant to a stick?

Discussion in 'Growing Topics' started by planehopr, Nov 8, 2011.

1. planehopr

planehopr New Member

This has got to be the dumbest question.

My girls woke up at 6pm today and I went and checked on them. One of the tall Sativa type ones has been starting to lean and today is now almost at a 45 degree angle.

This is my first grow, so I don't know even some basic things. I was searching for zip ties and I have none. I was searching for twine and I have none. I found a bamboo stick and some thread.

I'm wondering if the thread is too fine and will decapitate my plant with medium/gentle tension.

What other ways might I tie them down?

Next grow I plan on trying a little LST. Any ideas on what I should tie them down with?

I admit I'm scared to tie anything to the plants...but so far they have been extremely forgiving.

Thanks in advance for all your help here and always!

Brian...

2. Textual Violence

Textual Violence New Member

The thread might dig into the plant, but it should be ok as long as you don't tie it too tightly. I use twisty ties from bread wrappers, and yarn works well too. Could even use an old shoe string for what you want to do.

2 people like this.
  3. planehopr

planehopr New Member

That's great! That's along the lines of what I was looking for. I wish I was more like MacGuyver. Thanks for all the ideas!

4. stoneygreenbud

stoneygreenbud Super Moderator

Yup, its all twist ties here too.

you can use them over and over
    and you can find them in the produce
    section of any grocery store.

~Stoney~

2 people like this.
  5. Australianpothead

Australianpothead New Member

In the past iv used old shoe laces, Hope that helps

6. planehopr

planehopr New Member

I ended up finding a large twist tie...I think it did the trick. I was worried that the thread would somehow cut into the plant.

I added a 42" oscillating tower to the room about 2 weeks into the planting of clones. By then the plants had already become kinda big. I think I get it in there too late for it to grow better. The fan in any case added more air and I think even dropped the temp a couple degrees. I was just hoping it would add something to the growth. It looks like eventually I'll have to add some support to a few of them...but it doesn't seem to be the end of the world or anything.

Thanks for helping me guys. By the way Australian Pot Head, I live in California, USA but I have had the fortune of smoking weed down under...that Aussie weed I remember was out of this world! Good times! It was really a "what happens in Australia, stays in Australia" kind of experience!

7. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Cranched Scanner

Is there any light leaks in your tent?
    Do you have air moving over the top canopy?

You shouldn't have to prop up plants,they should just support themselves. Your gonna have all kinds of breaking,bending and drupping branches when the flowers start to put-on weight.

8. planehopr

planehopr New Member

Yes I have air over the canopy...I have pretty much no light leaks...I bought a tent...I had to put tape over some seams and stuff...once in a while I find a pin hole I didn't see...but I've zipped myself inside and its so dark I can't see my hands in front of my face...and I can't see the lights from the outside when it is zipped up.

Most of the plants are fine...but now you have me worried. Is there something I can do as a preemptive measure to make sure the plants can carry the load, and what do I do if they can't. Since this is my first time, I'm learning a lot. I know it will be 100% better next time, but the girls look very healthy.

If you can offer me some solutions to these problems you foresee might happen, please do. Thanks again for your help and input!

Attached Files:

9. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Cranched Scanner

No, you and everyone else got it right, just tie those babies up. The ties will help support it so you won't have those problems.

EDIT: those look great, i see no plroblems..... looks like some normal side branching ect...

2 people like this.
  10. planehopr

planehopr New Member

Wonderful. We're taking it one step and one day at a time. I appreciate all the feedback and help!

11. Australianpothead

Australianpothead New Member

Where abouts in Australia did you visit, Id love to visit usa one day but i dont think id chance smoking.

12. planehopr

planehopr New Member

I came to Melbourne back in 2005 for a week to visit a friend. I was shocked at how expensive things were...even though my dollar went a lot further than your dollar at the time, the benefit was eaten up by really high prices. Very good time though. Aussies are very cool people! I hope you can visit the US sometime. I think you'll have a good time here...and I hope you get to smoke some of our buds!.

13. hogsbreath

hogsbreath New Member

just like planting a tree, when ur gonna tie a tree down with some sort of tiedown, i recommend using some kind of fabric to put under the tiedown itself to prevent plant burn