Can my neighbors call the cops for this?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by ilook>ifeel, Dec 22, 2011.

1. ilook>ifeel

ilook>ifeel New Member

hey everyone!
    i'm 23 and have interstitial cystitis, IBS, and chronic gastritis, all of which impact my daily life greatly. This is where pot comes in to help. It has taken a long time for my boyfriend to accept this as a part of our lives because of the federal laws, despite that we live in california and i have my card (yes, i know the difference between state and fed law). That being the case, he didn't want any of it in the house and he is afraid that we will be kicked out of our neighborhood if the neighbors cause a fuss. I'm not sure how that would even be possible. We own our home, who is gonna kick us out?

Finally last week my boyfriend gave in and i am "allowed" to smoke on of our 2 balconies (both of which face the back of another row of townhomes.) I'm not out there trying to be obvious, or anything like that, in fact most of the time i even use one of those smoke buddy filters to avoid spreading the smell around outside.

My neighbors don't know me at all. They don't know my medical conditions; they don't know i puke and crap my brains out all night and can't eat much more than ginger tea and dry cheerios (sorry, those are the facts!). i don't "look" sick, so to someone who doesn't know me, I'm sure i look like someone just toking it up a few times a day for fun. Sometimes its hard to be taken seriously because of this.

What's the worst they can do? Can they call the cops on me for smoking on my own balcony? Could we really be kicked out of our neighborhood? Smoking inside my house is not an option for several reasons.

I imagine lots of you smoke on your balconies/patios and have some advice or experience to share. thanks~!
  2. ilook>ifeel

ilook>ifeel New Member

any help anyone? i'm sure someone out there has some experience with this and i would greatly appreciate the help. =]
  3. michelemishellie

michelemishellie New Member

Probably being nice would get you a reply! Since you Judge all the people that are buying right along side you, Why shouldn't you be judged also? And stereo typed? YOU JUDGE and stereo type the rest of the world and put all of us in a,,, I forget your words,,, what kind of Stoner's did you call everyone? Like it was a bad thing to be a stoner.
  4. ilook>ifeel

ilook>ifeel New Member

I haven't judged anyone or called anyone anything. You're making accusations from another post completely irrelevant to this. Sorry, but im here peacefully, I'm not here to argue. :)
  5. michelemishellie

Your neighbors have every right to call the cops on you. You have your reasons for not wanting to smoke in YOUR house and YOUR neighbors have the right to not want the smell and smoke in theirs. Think about it. Have respect for your neighbors,,, unless they don't mind then you don't have to worry. Why don't you just go and tell them your situation and then you would know how they feel. I know you said they don't know about your medical condition but it doesn't seem like it bothers you to talk about it.
  6. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

1.Your neighbors can call the cops about anything, just as you can.

2. If you are not doing anything illegal under California or local laws, the cops can't do anything about it.

3. The feds aren't interested in anything less than 100 pounds or 100 plants.
    11 people like this.
  7. mallitia95

mallitia95 Sr. Tokemaster

Buzzby to the rescue!!!
    2 people like this.
  8. JasonHowe

JasonHowe New Member

They could call the cops but the cops can't do anything, unless they're feds for some reason. The town or state police can't do anything unless you're breaking one of the state laws regarding MMJ.
    4 people like this.
  9. ilook>ifeel

ilook>ifeel New Member

Thanks for the response guys! As far as I understand (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) in ca you are allowed to use in the same places you're allowed to smoke cigarettes, but not within 1000 ft of a school,park, or any other place commonly busy with minors around. My own balcony doesn't violate any of this so I guess I shouldn't worry.

I have no problem talking openly about my conditions but that doesn't mean I want to knock on all of my neighbors doors, introduce myself, and alert them to something they probably haven't even noticed. That would be the worst thing I can do and would definately draw unwanted attention to myself.

For the record, nothing has happened. I dont do it when the neighbors are out there and noone has confronted me or even looked my way. My boyfriend is more nervous about it than I am because he imagines all these terrible things that could happen. I dont even have a single plant. Im nothing the cops would be interested in anyways. Lol.
  10. scofieldr3199

scofieldr3199 Sr. Member

i reccomend going and talking to your neighbors saying that you actually need it for medicianal use.. they will understand.
  11. clint902

clint902 Sr. Member

If you're smoking a joint, there's a good chance your neighbors won't have a clue as to what you're doing anyway. On the other hand, if you're using a bong or one of those small pipes, well they might think something's going on. The perfect solution is using a vaporizer which you can do inside your own home if you wish or on the balcony.
  12. stoneygreenbud

stoneygreenbud Super Moderator

Anyone can call the police for any reason. but as already stated above, if you arn't breaking any state laws, well then your local police can't do anything about it.

the thing is, when the police get a call, well they don't already know that you are a legal card holder, so they have to come and check it out. it sounds to me like you just want to be able to use your medicine without any problems.

So when you go out onto your patio, just be discreet, if your neighbor is watering their lawn, then wait a few, and go back out when their done. it's no real big deal anymore. the odds are that even when the police get a report of someone smoking marijuana, that they'll even show up.

IMO, as long as you keep a low profile, no-one's gonna bother you at all.

~Stoney~

13. WolfGang Paco

WolfGang Paco Sr. Member

They could call the PoPo, but the cops can't really do anything withou a warrent. Just make sure your shit is out of plain sight, meaning if you open the door too cops, there isn't a fatty bong visible ;)
  14. devvo6786

devvo6786 New Member

dont be stupid and youll be fine. i live in an apartment and have a roommate that doesnt even know i use medicinal marijuana. i use a vape to get rid of smell and dont use a bong if the air/heater is on. i always light a candle. be discret and respectful and im sure youll be okay
  15. Enta

Enta New Member

I look/I feel

First of all, I am sorry to hear about your medical problems: I can see this is seriously impacting your quality of life.

Also: I don't quite understand the post above, from the person who feels you are judging others, because I really don't see how you are judging anybody here; all I can see is that you are giving (very valid) facts on your dilemma.

Do you think that using marijuana foods might help? I mean: once cooked (using a high quality air purifier to eliminate any smell), medibles last longer, and, perhaps, your boyfriend might even start enjoying all that delicious cooking? :)

I don't think one has to be a "stoner" to enjoy marijuana foods. To me, as long as MMJ is used responsibly, that's all that matters. There are wonderful recipes for MMJ foods all over the internet:

Beyond Chronic - Medical Cannabis Information You Can Trust

https://www.greenpassion.org/index.php?/forum/22-cannabis-mediblescooking-etc/

HOW TO MAKE CANNABUTTER~Medical Marijuana Butter RECIPE~Ease Your Chronic Pain! - YouTube
  16. michelemishellie

That was me that said that and I apologized to her for all and anything that was said in another Thread and that was why I said it due to what was going on in the other Thread. And I now apologize to you and anybody else that reads that,,, That was wrong,, I should not have done that. I am sorry. Thanks everyone,,,, my bad:sulkoff:
  17. muttdawg509

muttdawg509 New Member

I gotta say... your BF needs to grow a pair and let his woman smoke in the house, even if it's just in the bathroom with the fan on..... instead he makes u sit outside and risk everything u are being paranoid about..... if u only blaze in your house, then how the hell could u possibly get caught?
    2 people like this.
  18. AngelHeart

AngelHeart New Member

I think the phrase that pissed people off is "...I'm sure i look like someone just toking it up a few times a day for fun. Sometimes its hard to be taken seriously because of this." But don't worry. I'm not going to hold it against you.

I also live in a Condo. I can't imagine that it would be easy to throw someone out of their home for smoking weed. But if your neighbors complain to the Condo (or Townhome) Board the Condo Board may have something to say about it.

When it comes to the law I don't take anyone's word. Not a Lawyer, a Cop, a self professed genius or a forum. I live in New York so I'm not very familiar with California Law.

Here's a link to the Californiua Penal Code CALIFORNIA PENAL CODE (in New York it's called the New York State Penal Law). I found it by searching California Penal Code in Wikipedia.
    4 people like this.
  19. michelemishellie

Angel heart- I have only read 2 of your posts so far,, this one and another in a different thread ,,,,, I love it! :dance: Thanks for posting.
    2 people like this.