Can neighbors call cops if they get a smell of weed coming from my house?

Discussion in 'Places and People' started by fuckmylife, Jan 14, 2012.

1. fuckmylife

fuckmylife New Member

so when I hotbox my room i always open the window and I assume they can get the smell and are they allowed to call cops and sue us or something? It is our property so yah.
  2. vvicked0471

vvicked0471 Super mod

Anyone can call the police for any reason. It doesn't guarantee that the police will do anything, and in some instances can get the caller in trouble.

Yes your neighbors can call the police, and they will likely respond to the call since it relates to marijuana. Unless you live in a state or city where that is a low priority...

And welcome to the boards. Be sure to check out our posting guidelines (link in my sig)...
    5 people like this.
  3. Dedbr

Dedbr Domestic War Veteran

V is correct of course. The cops can be called for anything. Of course they have to prove it, which would be hard to do. If your worried about them calling and the police show up and your parents don't know you smoke, it could turn into a real problem then.......:rolleyes:

Best advice? Wait until you grow up to smoke herb. Then no one can tell you what to do and you can get your own place......;)

Ded...
  4. Siberian_Husky

Siberian_Husky New Member

Yes they can call the cops and not only can they call them, but they have a legitimate reason for calling. It depends on the officer whether he wants to search or not. If he smells weed himself, notices you acting strange or sees that your eyes are bloodshot, then he'll probably search you and your house. Or he could tell you straight up to give him the weed and he'll let you off with a warning.
  5. HipsterDoofus

HipsterDoofus New Member

They could also sue you in civil court for nuisance. The maximum is usually around $5000 more or less depending on local jurisdiction.
  6. iPoser1024

iPoser1024 Black Mamba

As everyone has said, yes.

Don't forget that a cop cannot enter your house without reasonable suspicion, or a warrant.
    If you find yourself speaking with a cop, do it calmly and be polite.

Step outside to speak to the cop. If said officer asks to enter your house, tell him you have nothing to hide, but would prefer he got a warrant, and came back. If that happens, clean the fuck out of your house. Dispose of any weed/paraphernalia.

I've had to deal with cops before. Once at my old house, a neighbor we were on unfriendly terms with, called the cops and reported my smoking. Luckily I always flush my roaches, and by the time the cop came back with the warrant I had everyone cleaned and legal. ;)

It's nerve racking enough having to speak with a cop about weed accusations while sober, doing it high can sky rocket anxiety. It did me.

(tl;dr)

Know your rights, and be ever cautious.
    2 people like this.
  7. stoneygreenbud

stoneygreenbud Super Moderator

The last thing that you want to do is to disrespect your parents, if it's in their home just don't do it, take it to a friends house or find your own place to smoke. you don't want to end up causing yourself problems over weed.

Weed is something to enjoy, not have to worry about getting caught. I smoked all through middle and high school, but I never smoked it in my parents house, the back yard sometimes yea but never in the house. besides when you smoke it outside, there is never any lingering odor left over after your done smoking.

just think before you light up, a little common sense will go a long way...

~Stoney~

2 people like this.
  8. PolishPablo

PolishPablo New Member

Good advice already given...But remember, you don't even have to open the door. You don't have to do shit if he rings your door bell. I would just stay in my room and wait for him to leave. But if hes a dirsty cop, he will go around your house and look through your windows.
  9. iPoser1024

iPoser1024 Black Mamba

Think about how suspicious that would look. He'd definitely get a warrant then.

-Neighbor calls in suspicion of marijuana consumption.
    -Few minutes later cop shows up to give it a look.
    -Nobodies home (seemingly)

If I were a cop that was doing his job I'd be more suspicious.
    3 people like this.
  10. tombarney

tombarney New Member

Any thing you say or do can and will be used against You in a court of law.
    So never say or do anything!
    4 people like this.
  11. Dedbr

Dedbr Domestic War Veteran

Actually it's "Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law." ;)

Your not going to be "doing" anything because you will be under arrest.....:p

And the man don't play children, the man don't play........::bounce::

Ded......