Can you tell if weed is Sativa or Indica.

Discussion in 'Strains and Definitions' started by GunCow, Jul 31, 2009.

1. GunCow

GunCow Sr. Member

So I have this bag and I want to determine if its Sativa or Indica.

Are there any defining physical characteristics that will help me on my quest?
  2. Sofa King

Sofa King It's Good to be the KING.

As far as Physical characteristics go. Sativas are usually the light fluffy buds and Indicas are usually dense buds. This is just a guideline. I still come across Sativas that have dense buds from time to time. Plus with all the crosses and hybrids out there its tough to tell unless you have the genetics. So the best way to tell is to smoke / vap it and see what kind of high you get. If you get a wide awake heady high that it's probably Sativa dominant. If you get a heavy body, lethargic high then it's probably Indica dominant.
    6 people like this.
  3. Kushy

Kushy down

Another factor that let's you know is the smell. In my experience sativas have always smelled very sweet sugary. Indicas tend to smell more piney and salty with a hint of sweet. It's really hard to describe the smell of marijuana because it is so unique, but indicas give off a seaweed/pine scent, and sativas tend to be more sweet
    2 people like this.
  4. GunCow

GunCow Sr. Member

I smelled my stuff and the odor seems to be closer to your Indica description.

Any differenced color wise?
  5. Dark

Dark Fool on the Hill

Sativas will grow taller and less bulky than indicas most of the time. Sativas will be fluffier, indicas will usually be more dense(don't let brick weed fool you. This doesn't mean its indica...)

Sativas smell more citrus or fragrant like flowers. Indicas will usually have a pungent/skunky smell. Both, IME, have smelled piney.

However these can be completely contradictory to some strains, and MOST are a mix of indica and sativa, making it even harder to compare.
    2 people like this.
  6. lxcarnagelx

lxcarnagelx New Member

i herd if u brake a nug in half and u see lots of crystals inbeded in the core of the nug that means its indica
  7. SmokeSomeWeed

SmokeSomeWeed New Member

Sativa are the little plants but with big leaves and big buds..

Indica is the ones that grows very big, lots a branches, lots o little buds and leaves..

and Sativa Bud is like kush, and fluffy..

but there are a LOT of strains and there isnt only Sativa and Indica..

like M-39, which is unclassified,

I'm also sick of smoking only M-39 these days.. :/
  8. lxcarnagelx

lxcarnagelx New Member

dude lol your so wrong just say the opposite wat Smokesomeweed says, sative r long and thin, indica is small and fat leaved
    kush is indica and dense
    2 people like this.
  9. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

If you can't see the plant, it's pretty hard to tell by the appearance of the buds. On top of that, very little of the weed you see on the market is pure Sativa or pure Indica. Most are hybrids which have physical and smoking characteristics both varieties.
  10. SmokeSomeWeed

SmokeSomeWeed New Member

lol

I switched species somehow in my head..

happens when you're high..

SORRY

(roflmao)
  11. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Cranched Scanner

sativas have always made me want to do something, while indica just makes me indifferent and apathetic. but its all personal prefence. There really isn't a HUGE difference between the highs, its all cannaboids in varying amounts.
  12. Mazzinator

Mazzinator Sr. Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

for some reason i always thought that indica were the skinny ones, haha i guess i just made it up in my head cause i dont remember where i would've heard it from.:trippy:

all info from Indica or Sativa? Weed (Cannabis) Growing Guide:
    7 people like this.
  13. jmhereiam

jmhereiam New Member

Some of the weed I've had in the past, it's smell can be characterized by the smell of a skunks asshole. It's funny since the past years that I've been smoking weed, when I smell where a skunks been, whether on the side of the road or w/e the smell doesn't bother me near as much since I can just think of it as weed in my head I guess. I don't know if that should be considered a good thing or a bad thing, I say good.
  14. xLungcancerrx

xLungcancerrx New Member

jmhereiam
    dude thats gotta be the funniest thing ive heard all day XD
    2 people like this.
  15. i always think the skunk smells are grow areas. could be either! ha
  16. blackanthony

blackanthony New Member

no u really cant until u smoke it lol.
  17. blackanthony

blackanthony New Member

dude holy crap same with me, skunk used to smell bad and it still does but hey its not so bad anymore cuz then i just think of skunk strain.
    2 people like this.
  18. theworldismine

theworldismine New Member

its all in how you feel after you smoke it. if you feel it in your legs it indica. if you feel it in your head its sativa. hope this helped