Canna-oil, brownies and dosage-HELP

Discussion in 'Cooking with Marijuana Recipes' started by euphoric dreams, Apr 27, 2010.

1. euphoric dreams

euphoric dreams Sr. Member

Alright, well because oil doesn't burn as fast as butter, I was planning on making brownies with canna-oil. Give me the pros and cons for using oil in the extraction as opposed to butter. I can imagine that it has a lower fat content, am I right? If you've made both, give me info on which one you were more comfortable with.

It will be my first time baking with marijuana and I'm sharing these brownies with a good number of people - that being said, I don't want them to be a flop.

I would have look through the post archive for this repeatitive situation but I have a particular scenario making things a touch more personal.
    First off, we've purchased an ounce - 11 grams of white widdow and 17 grams of hydro. I've yet to try the hydro (which would probably be a wise choice for the brownies because we have our fare share of it) but I do know that the white widow packs a meeaaan punch. I think it's some of the skunkiest weed I've yet to come accross!

We will all be getting rightly stoned over the course of the day... We won't be eating these brownies until after 8+ hours of smoking all day. Our group is an estimated 12 people (give or take).

With all of this info combined (smoking all day, powerful strain, 12ish people, canna oil, oz.) how much marijuana do you think should actualy be thrown into the mixture? I'm not looking to make brownies that are too potent because we will already be pretty high. Also, because we will already be smoking all day, do you think it would be fruitless to throw edibles into the mixture?

Also, I'm 5"4, wieghing in at 120 pounds - I'm not new to smoking, nor am I new to getting ripped - I just don't want to get sick or overdo it, you know?
    That being said, what kind of dose do you think I should aim for personaly. I was thinking starting out with .5 and eating more if I feel as though I want to highten the experience.

ALL help APPRECIATED! Thanks!!

2. vvicked0471

vvicked0471 Super mod

I've made both canna butter and canna oil and for brownies I prefer the oil. Its just not as time consuming. It also has a higher fat content than butter (I use wesson veggie oil which contains 14 grams of fat per serving, compared to landolakes salted butter which has 11 grams of fat per serving). Be sure to simmer the weed (low heat, and I do mean low, I never go past "2" on my electric stove ) in the oil for at least 30 min, if not 45 (don't cut corners here, all your doing at that point is extracting less thc). From there strain out and discard the plant matter, allow the oil to cool and cook to recipe.

I've always used at least 3/4 to a full oz in my brownies, cook them in a 13"x9" pan and cut them into 2" squares. Usually one does the trick, sometimes I eat two. Smoking before eating them shouldn't be a problem, just don't over-do it . Most of us have smoked enough, at least once, that it seems like you're not getting high anymore, if you get there and then eat some brownies you'll be wasting the brownies and could possibly get headache and nausea (possible side effects of to much pot).

2 people like this.
  3. 1956

1956 Sr. Member

I have always tried to consume edibles on as empty a stomach as possible, less competition for digestive juices. Smoking all day will probably lead to serious munchies, just something to think about.

Take vvicked0471's advice to heart, take your time making the oil, and follow a proven recipe. This is not the time to experiment and screw up. I would probably leave the weed in the oil just to ensure you don't lose anything, but that's just me.

Good luck, and let us know how your party/brownies worked.

4. some_stoner

some_stoner New Member

I don't have too much experience baking for that many people.

I've made butter, and oil, and prefer the oil method - hands down. I use a crock pot overnight, about 8 hrs on the low setting. My ratio last time was 1/2 oz of vaped bud, and somewhere around 1/8th or 1/4 of fresh bud and a little over 1/2 cup of olive oil. I like to make double chocolate chip cookies, and the recipe calls for 1/4 cup of oil. There is some loss involved, but it can be minimized. I've read a couple of posts recently about using a 'press' to make sure you get out all of the oil after heating it (I've only used cheesecloth) but haven't tried it personally. One guy on here made a press out of a 'C' clamp.

Recap - 1/2 cup of oil is good for 2 batches of betty crocker pre-mixed cookie mix (I think there were about 18 cookies each batch?). Make sure you grind the bud before putting it in, and I even mash it/stir it up with a spoon once and a while.

I've had mixed results about eating on an empty stomach too. Sometimes it hits your right away, sometimes with a delay - even on a full stomach.

5. euphoric dreams

Well I already know that we will be eating on a somewhat full stomach. We are going out camping in the woods therefore we will have already eaten by the fire (meats, veggies, fruits, salads - this is a party here, I can't starve my friends for the sake of a brownie). Seeing as we would have already been hiking in the hot sun, there are guaranteed to be some hungry bellies. I know that it's better to eat them on a stomach that isn't necesarily full but I can't control my friends decisions to eat haha.

Also, I know how to make the oil (the proper way without cutting any corners and all that jazz) but thanks for the recap, I appreciate it :)

I can't promise that there will be 12 people - confirmations never get through and I have no idea what kind of party I'm hosting here.

I was looking for no more then a gram per brownie. I myself want to start at .5 so I will be eating half.

HOWEVER, I'm starting to ask myself if edibles are even worth it at this point... we will have smoked our fare share over the day (joints, bowls, hookah in the morning, etc..) and I know that I can only get soo high. Should I just hold off and not make the brownies, thusly saving all of that for another time? I always wanted to feel the effects of brownies after consuming them while sobber... hmmm
    I'm stuck now... too bake, or not too bake - that is the question.

6. euphoric dreams

Also, the effects can last up to 6 or 8 hours right? - how much of a couch lock would you say that edibles are (for those who have tried them MORE then once).

I've just considered the possibility of eating them in the morning instead... you know, wake up, have breakfast - eat the brownie for dessert, fuck around by the fire and relax while we wait for them too kick in. My birthday isn't officialy until Sunday so it would legitemately fit the situation. I just don't think it will be worth it to eat them on Saturday after a whole day of toking like that.... it would seem a shame to waste a high that's unique on it's own.

My whole point of trying edibles are too feel the difference between your "average" high and the high of ingested marijuana. Also, I wanted to try edibles for my first time while sober so that I could see the difference.
    Fuck it, morning glory it is. I don't think anyone will be opposed to this.

7. some_stoner

some_stoner New Member

I've never experienced effects up to 6 or 8 hrs. It's more like 2 or 3. I usually make cookies when discretion is needed, like at a family friendly party, or traveling. I went on a two week vacation recently and brought 3 dozen cookies (BIG advantage of edibles...being able to take them on airplanes). Needless to say, I had them all sober (I don't drink either) so I had a lot of good testing going on.

haha - go for the morning glory for sure...the best way to experience them is by themselves. It's a different high, sorta like vaping....but unique unto itself.

And check back in after your trip and let us know how it goes.

Peace

2 people like this.
  8. 1956

1956 Sr. Member

Skip Breakfast

Skip breakfast, and just eat the brownies. Wait at least 1 hour,before smoking and then enjoy the effects of the 2 combined. Depending on how high your tolerance and how much you ingest the effect can last quite a while. And please report back about your experience.

My formula for edible consumption is to make 2 firecrackers and one pin joint out of a gram, eat the firecrackers, then smoke the joint an hour later. Keeps me very, very stoned for the whole night.

2 people like this.
  9. euphoric dreams

I'll check back in on a new thread. The date is comming up soon so I'm pretty excited.

However, due to the weather, we will unfortunately be house locked (by the looks of it) - sure we will go out and about but no camping for us. Either way, this gives us a chance to relax by a fire with the brownies during the day knowing that we don't have to take a tent down and trek through the woods (although the absence of that trek makes me pretty sad :( )

Here's to brownie success!!
    Also, would cookies be better then brownies? I often find that brownies are too sweet... which one do you guys prefer?

10. ChefJeff2010

ChefJeff2010 New Member

Detailed Help For You....

CannaButter Ingredients:

? 1 lb unsalted butter
    ? dried cannabis (see * below)
    ? 4 - 5 L water
    ? 1 large stockpot
    ? a 2nd pot or large bowl
    ? a colander (spaghetti strainer) that will fit in the 2nd pot or bowl
    ? a large piece of cheesecloth
    ? a big spoon and potato masher

* If you have: Stems, seeds, leaves
    Mild potency use: 225 grams
    Strong potency use: 450 g

Mostly leaves, some stems
    Mild: 120 g
    Strong: 250 g

Leaves, trim from buds
    Mild: 28 g
    Strong: 56 g

Regular cannabis buds
    Mild: 14 g
    Strong: 28 g

Powerful cannabis or hash
    Mild: 7 g
    Strong: 14 g

Directions:

1) Place butter, cannabis, and water in a large stockpot, put the pot on a large element on the lowest setting possible.

2) Simmer for 6 - 8 hours. Stir every 1/2 hour.

3) When you are ready to strain, put the colander over the second pot or bowl. Line it with a large piece of cheesecloth. Using the spoon, slowly pour the brew into the cheesecloth. Don?t let the sides fall in.

4) Wrap the mixture tight and squeeze every last drop of juice out. The butter will want to cling between the leaves. Use the potato masher against the colander to squeeze out the precious juices.

5) Throw out the contents of the cheesecloth, then refrigerate the liquid in the pot. The butter and water will separate, and all the THC is in the butter. You can dump the water and store the butter in the fridge. If you don?t plan to use it within a week, freeze it, as butter will go bad.

The Chef:mj2::mj2:

11. 1956

1956 Sr. Member

Thanks Chef Jeff

Dear Chef Jeff,

One of the most requested recipes here is for single or at least small dose brownie recipes.

A lot of people just don't have 14 grams or more of weed to cook with.And baking small portions presents a problems for many. Any suggestions on how to make two brownies as opposed to a whole pan?

12. ChefJeff2010

ChefJeff2010 New Member

Dosage help

(When making brownies you wannna use anywere from .5grams to 1 gram per person/serving. I used regular brownie mix with mine. But there is a trick to it:
    -THC is Fat soluable, so you wanna simmer the cannabais in butter before you bake your brownies. You then take the butter and replace it with the vegetable oil the package will ask for.
    -I used 3 grams per a box of brownies (6 servings) and it was a great high, but it took 3 hours to get to its "climax of highness"
    -You might also want to change up the amount of marijuana based on the potency of the MJ. Here in KC our stuff is more potent than some others out there, so if your growing in a town with bunk or shitty weed with low potent THC, simply just add more weed.)

.............................Try this for a 1 person high................................
    -Get 1-2 gs of killer weed...1 cup water.... 1 cup milk.
    -Mix the water and milk together bring to a boil add the 1-2 gs weed to the mix and simmer on a low boil for 30 min.
    -The water evaporates during the simmer.... use the pulp strainer as above pour the mixture through the strainer into a mug....you end up with 1 cup
    -Add some hot chocolate or tea ....let it cool and chug a lug.....6-8 hour high

:mj2::mj2:THE CHEF:mj2::mj2:

13. 420star

420star New Member

I know this event has since passed for OP, but I'd like to throw my two cents in because I am planning on making some brownies with cannaoil. First off smoking and eating brownies sounds wild (it would make me nauseous). I have made pills before and I agree that I l ingesting works best on an empty stomach. Some-stoner sounds like you had a great vacation ;) Can someone please give me a weed to oil ratio? i.e. How much oil will an ounce make? How much oil is used for a good recipe (same as indicated on box)?

14. some_stoner

some_stoner New Member

I had a most awesome vacation, thank you.

The last batch I made (just last weekend), I used 1/4 oz of fresh herb, and 1/4 oz of vaped herb to a cup & 1/4 of oil.

If I was going to use a full Z, I'd make at least two cups (I'd start with at least 2 & 1/4 cups to account for loss). That being said, I'm looking into making an oil press of sorts, b/c the vaped herbs seem to hold more oil, therefore there's more loss in the process. I started with 1 & 1/4 cup of oil, but after running it through the strainer, and pressing as much as I could out, I has slightly less than a cup. Most brownie recipes call for 1/2 cup of oil. And yes, I got quite ripped :)

Let us know how it goes.

15. some_stoner

some_stoner New Member

Yes, I just follow the directions and quantities stated by the good betty crocker.

16. donnachris

donnachris New Member

if your considering eating and the having a brownie for desert, maybe you should consider making marijuana milk and using it to make pancakes. that way your breakfast is your edible and you dont have to wait because of the extra food in your stomach. to make milk, you do it the same way as you do oil. heat your milk until just before it egst the skim on it. gring your pot to dust consistency and put it in the milk. cook for 30 to 45 minutes. strain out the plant material and use the milk to make your pancake batter. or you could use the milk in your coffee. or one of my favorites hot pot chocolate.
    let me know ho it goes if you decide to make milk. contact me in a pm.

17. donnachris

donnachris New Member

I like to use .5 to 1 gram of weed per tablespoon of oil or butter.

18. mrbudahlover

mrbudahlover New Member

plz

how many do u eat