Carving A Wood Pipe

Discussion in 'Homemade Paraphernalia' started by Time, May 2, 2006.

1. Time

Time New Member

If one were to hypothetically carve a wooden pipe for smoking certain plant matter in, what would be the best type of wood to use for this? One that won't burn, not plywood, because it is all knotty, and looks decent (not as important as the other two factors though).
  2. mark87fndr

mark87fndr Sr. Member

Briar or Olivewood.

Or some random tree in your backyard.
  3. JETDRO

JETDRO New Member

it tastes like wood man, i say you should buy a pac of juicy jay's or a blunt wrap box or get a little pipe (glass) for like 5-10 bucks at a headshop.
  4. JiggsCasey

JiggsCasey Sr. Member

wow. thats what i can do this weekend.. i think i may try it. i'll keep everyone posted. hopefully i don't get sidetracked.
  5. Time

Time New Member

Nah, I don't have the money. It is invested in the market*. And I want to make it myself, proud of my handiwork type thing.

*By market I mean my dealer's pocket.
  6. homemadebubbler

homemadebubbler Always bubblin'

I actualy did this before. I drilled a bowl and stem, and carved the bark of a piece of wood from a crab apple tree ion my yard.

Unfortunatly, the weekend I took it to my friends house to try it out, we got busted, so I never got a chance to try it. I plan on making another one soon though.
  7. imported_SBsurferdude

imported_SBsurferdude Surfing Fiend

iv actually been thinking about doing this for the past month i think itd be cool the only thing im concerned wit is it burning which would be nasty :puker:
  8. dope4thepope

dope4thepope New Member

weed burns at a lower temperture than most wood as far as i know, so the pipe wont actually burn unless you are lighting the hell out of it with a torch ligher or something. Still, smoking out of wood gives the weed a horrible taste, so i could not think of any reason not to just save up five bucks and buy a pipe.
  9. deadhead56

deadhead56 New Member

Make sure you temper the bowl (burn it at a really high temp for seconds, then take out of heat), you can do this with a blowtorch. it makes it so the wood wont burn as easily when lighting it. also i kinda like the smell of mine, makes it feel more natural.
  10. Sofa King

Sofa King It's Good to be the KING.

I did something similar a long time ago. Just get a metal thimble and drill the bowl so the thimble fits snugly down inside. Then either drill tiny holes in the bottom of the thimble or cut the bottom off all together and put a screen in there.
  11. homemadebubbler

homemadebubbler Always bubblin'

BEcause its really cool to smokeout of something that you created, especialy whjen it comes from nature.

Plus, a lot of woods (like crab apple and other fruit trees) can have a sweet taste to them, ot just taste good.
  12. troublemaker420

troublemaker420 New Member

Not always true....

"Ironwood" is commonly used to make pipes in jamaica. I only had my pipe for a week (while I was there) but had no problems with it burning or tasting badly, and believe me, it was heavily used! (Man, what I wouldn't give to have that pipe right now....there was enough hash melted to the sides of it to keep me high for another week....it was literally oozing down the outer sides of the bowl when i finally had to toss it before flying home....a waste,yes, but there was so much weed/hash around it seemed quite ingingnificant at the time)
  13. 3dnuggets

3dnuggets New Member

I've made many a wood bowl and I find oak works well, Its a hard wood so it doesn't burn as fast and if you smoke small one lhitter bowls you'll have no problem avoiding the wood smoke which can be harsh apple is another good choice
  14. greenBirds

greenBirds New Member

ive made a number of wooden pipes. i find that the hard wood doesnt burn as fast, but its harder to carve. soft wood burns quicker, but easier to carve of course....
  15. drail204

drail204 New Member

wooden pipes

Ive been carving wooden pipes for a couple years now and have yet to have any problems with them tasting like shit, i generaly use oak but have recently started using pine, it carves super easy and handles the heat well. just blow the pasageways clear of all the dust, i use a small butane jet lighter to temper the draw hole and the bowl. you could also bake it in the oven at around 350 for 15 or so minutes.
  16. cabriosnap

cabriosnap Not Man, Merely a Machine

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

this is a great idea. you can use pretty much any random wood you find. i have done this once using a thick branch from an apple tree. had to use a drill and took a lot of widling with my pocketknife, but it worked out in the end. once you are done carving the piece out, soak it in olive oil for a bit and let dry completely. repeat this 3-4 times and it should be fine to smoke out of the next day;)

personally i really like sofakings idea of a thimble. just make sure it is a steel thimble, not aluminium or brass
  17. PurpleGanja

PurpleGanja New Member

I made one in woodshop and It was pretty easy. I just drill a few holes and a long piece of wood and I'm done and our woodshop teacher is all old and doesn't really watch over everyone so I won't get caught unless I do something REALLY stupid. But sadly the front of it broke off so it won't hold weed very well and I didn't even get a chance to try it.
  18. WildGerg

WildGerg New Member

I've carved a wooden piece before but rather than try and copy the glass spoon shape as most do i went for a more churchwarden pipe style. My wood of choice was oak since it was the only suitable wood i had on hand at the time. Instead of trying to carve the stem and bowl as one piece i made the stem separate. i made the stem by taking a strip of oak and splitting it down the middle and carving a channel into each half so when put back together it formed a tube. i used Elmers paste to glue it back together because its non toxic but to be on the safe side i left the last inch or so unglued where it would attach to the bowl. the bowl is just a simple cylinder shape with the center bored out and a small hole drilled in the side at the bottom for the stem. I didn't want to use any glue around the bowl so i sanded the bowl hole and stem soothe and pressure fit them together. it looked and worked great but i accidentally broke the stem sitting on it. i have since replaced the stem with a length of bamboo which while it doesn't look as cool, is super strong compared to the thin oak stem i broke.
  19. stonerdude80

stonerdude80 New Member

I saw this thread and was inspired to make a wooden pipe, went with a large stick/small branch and a normal spoon shape because I only have very short drillbits and they are not long enough for anything bigger. I have never made anything whittling before and I think this turned out far better than I thought, I named it scoop because it looks like an ice cream scoop to me. I am going to temper it in the oven per advice of drail204, and this might be a dumb question but stain or paint would be a bad Idea since I am going to smoke out of it right? A lot of pipes I see are stained but it could be some special stain or something.

Attached Files:

20. mallitia95

mallitia95 Sr. Tokemaster

When I toked from my friends homemade wood pipe it tasted like bar-b-Q