CBD - Anxiety / Panic Medical Cure?

Discussion in 'Medicinal Marijuana' started by ciregg222, Jun 29, 2008.

1. ciregg222

ciregg222 Sr. Member

I have anxiety and am prescribed xanax. I wish I had it sooner in my life as it really helps. However, I dont want to take it forever as it can be addicting and tough on my liver over years etc.

Sometimes I smoke Cannabis as it completely removes any concept of anxiety from my life. OR it can actually make my anxiety worse and I can panic.

From my research, I see that Indica has CBD up to 1.5% (Thc up to 20%) and Sativa has even less CBD. Scientists relate the CBD to an effect of anti anxiety and anti psychotic. This obviously is reason for the anti anxiety stoney feeling that helps me so much (and could help me avoid xanax)

Wouldn't it make sense for some strain breeding specifically to treat anxiety? This along with the anti psychotic benefits should be highlighted as another major benefit for medical cannabis.

It looks like industrial hemp is high in CBD and low in THC (but I have not found specific % ratios). Maybe, this could treat anxiety? I read "it will give you a headache" but I dont believe that unless YOU actually tired it and can tell me that from a personal experience. I actually found two personal experiences online that just claimed a slight buzz and said nothing of a headache.

A buzz effect would be fine, especially if relaxing, but the goal would be medical for anxiety and other similar disorders.

BTW, anxiety does debilitate my life, and a full blown panic attack is like pure terror washing over your whole head and body for no specific reason. Its hell. Imagine living, working, trying to sleep, trying to get out of bed and live. Its not easy.

Anyone have any feedback?

Thanks alot ;)

2. Plainsman1963

Plainsman1963 New Member

Except for land races, CBD has actually been bred out of the current crop of cannabis strains. Says a lot about what the breeders are going after...Bucks or helping medicinal users. :rolleyes:
    I have read the same thing.
    It's been a couple of decades but yes I have tried smoking hemp (ditch weed) and yes I got one bitch of a headache every single time I tried it, which tells you why it's been a couple of decades. :laugh:

Some strains known to help with anxiety:
    Jack Herer
    Northern Lights
    Train Wreck
    Afghan Kush
    Romulan
    Mind Bender
    Legends Ulitimate Indica
    Super Skunk #1
    Afghani Dream
    Dragon(SuperSilverHazexSweetSkunkxPNWBigBud)
    Sour Bubble(Sour DxBubble Gum)
    BlackLites(BlackDominaxNoLights)

2 people like this.
  3. ciregg222

ciregg222 Sr. Member

Humm... thanks for the response.

I just learned that Sativex (under the tongue Cannabis spray) has 50% THC and 50% CBD. They blend a few strains to create this mix (possibly industrial hemp high CBD and another high THC strain) This kinda supports my theory on how important CBD should be.

There are also a few dozen (I think) other Cannabinoids. I wish there was more research on what the individual affects are. If Cannabis was legal or taken down from such an Illegal status, im sure that more research would be done (allowed)

Maybe some seed companies out in Holland can start working on a 50% CBD 50% THC ratio strain? Anyone know someone out there to talk to ...LOL

PS- I saw one seed company actually quote percents of THC and CBD, but i think it could just be a marketing gimmick.. I would wonder what lab they would be using to test?

Any more info out there???

Thanks again,

4. ciregg222

ciregg222 Sr. Member

This I thought you may all like as well...... Actually from Wikipedia

CBD alone is not intoxicating, but it appears to moderate the euphoric effect of THC (which is an isomer of cannabidiol) and add a sedative quality.[2] Some research, however, indicates that CBD can increase alertness.[3] It may decrease the rate of THC clearance from the body, perhaps by interfering with the metabolism of THC in the liver. CBD does not appear to affect either the CB1 or CB2 receptors.[4]
    Medically, it appears to relieve convulsion, inflammation, anxiety, and nausea, and to inhibit cancer cell growth[5]. Recent studies have shown cannabidiol to be as effective as atypical antipsychotics in treating schizophrenia.[6] In November 2007 it was reported that CBD reduces growth of aggressive human breast cancer cells in vitro and reduces their invasiveness. It thus represents the first non-toxic exogenous agent that can lead to down-regulation of tumor aggressiveness.[7][8] It is also a neuroprotective antioxidant.[9]

5. ciregg222

ciregg222 Sr. Member

I noticed that alot of posts are related to anxiety attacks and Cannabis. I think everyone should read this info about CBD. For example out of the 3 stickies, Legalities, Chemicals , and Anxiety..... Anxiety has the most hits !! I think we need some more discussion about this.

Please post any scientific info in my thread here.... and feel free to post your experiences anxiety related or anti anxiety related.

6. ciregg222

ciregg222 Sr. Member

Here is some more Sativex info 1/2 THC 1/2 CBD ... Interesting ... wonder how it works as an anti-anxiety drug?

FOX NEWS USA TODAY

A new marijuana mouth spray aimed at relieving pain is being reviewed by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration in clinical trials, USA Today reported.

Sativex is one-part tetrahydrocannabinol, which is the main chemical responsible for the “high” that marijuana users feel, and one-part cannabidiol, a related-compound.

However, British manufacturers GW Pharmaceutica said the drug won’t make its users feel high. Its intended goal is to treat pain and relieve symptoms from ailments such as Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s and Huntington’s diseases.

Sativex is approved in Canada for two groups of patients — adults with advanced cancer who feel moderate to severe pain and are taking the highest narcotic dose they can tolerate, and adults with multiple sclerosis with nerve pain.

Currently, there are two synthetic cannabinoid pills in the United States — Marinol and Cesamet, which are FDA-approved to treat chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting. Marinol also is FDA-approved to treat appetite loss associated with AIDS.

7. Lothar121

Lothar121 Seasoned Activist

Hey. It's been a while since I posted here, but I was curious plains where you got the information on those strains :)

I would like to add that it isn't just the strain's CBD/THC ratio, but the dosage too. I have found low to moderate doses in comfortable settings to be helpful for generalized anxiety. I find it helpful for some of my social anxiety if I'm around people I know. If I'm in public it generally makes things worse.

To support my hypothesis on low doses, I only have this study to offer. :

Cannabis: Potent Anti-depressant In Low Doses, Worsens Depression At High Doses

I have found that smoking a ton of extremely potent marijuana at once has not really had the same beneficial effect as a low dose.

8. Plainsman1963

Plainsman1963 New Member

My source was (to begin with) Norml and then more strains were added on by co-op (medicinal) growers from a Medical Marijuana board. ;)

9. MMJNoob

MMJNoob New Member

I've seen the list of illness-strain from NORML here and there but never with a citation. Plainsman, do you happen to have a link to the info strait from NORML?

10. weedidas

weedidas New Member

I cannot stand panic attacks, it's like you're going to die or loose control of you mind or something. It's like a force has come over you and you can't get it off. Yes very scary.

I'm still not sure but from what I understand THC is found in the trichomes, and CBD in the plant material. If so then my idea is to vaporizer the weed first (but dont inhale it because it is mostly THC), and smoke what's left if CBD is left in the plant material. Don't imagine this would be that effeient.

This way is probably better. Do what you would do to make keif hash: grind up the bud and move it around on a silk screen a lot, getting as many trichomes filtered off the bud and though the screen as possible then smoking the bud? Keep the keif (trichomes) for later use.

I have found emotional freedom technique to help with mild anxiety as well. Do a google search on it.

11. relief

relief New Member

thank you so much for starting this thread! i too suffer from panic attacks and have generalized anxiety. i finally decided to try this as an option. my mom has taken xanax for her anxiety for some 10 yrs and she's totally addicted! even at the lowest dose she can't get off. it's a great drug and works well. but my dr would only give a rx for a few at a time. like my dr knows more then me on how many panic attacks i can have in a month! so i haven't used it in years, found hypnosis actually works!

anyways, i picked up some med mj for my chronic pain. bought the (super purple haze) satavia and had horrible panic, but great pain relief. then i tried the indica (fx, the other was LA confidential) still had some panic, but not as bad. i too am trying to find the right strain and one that hopefully will last a few days! btw, it really helps my arthritic pain. the first time in my 30 years w/ this disease have i gone 24 w/o any pain!!! So PLEASE continue to post what strains work best for your anxiety.

2 people like this.
  12. weedidas

weedidas New Member

Ok, I'm pretty sure I was wrong there, I think CBD is in the trichomes aswell.

13. ciregg222

ciregg222 Sr. Member

In response to Relief.....

Try smoking just one little hit at a time.... wait 15 min... try again (if needed) you will be surprised how little you may need and easing into being stoned is best for me rather than BAM YOUR HIGH YIKES !!

For Indicas try.... Afghan #1 ... Mr. Nice ... Hash Plant ... Romulan ...

You can do research on seed sites.. but be careful and cross reference the information because some of less reputable ones conflict on info. The original indicas are from India, Morocco, and Afghanastan areas. "Hash Plants" and "Afghan".

What strain did you try ???

14. toh

toh New Member

15. paulmilander

paulmilander New Member

I have suffered from Panic attacks since 1996 when I was rushed to the ER by ambulance because I thought I was having a heart attack. For the most part one or two tokes can help anxiety BUT there has been times when after taking a few tokes I feel like a cat that is clawed into a screen door and wont let go. Odd I guess

16. freshmaker

freshmaker New Member

Wow, I just checked out the emotional freedom technique. It worked! I've been having mild panic attacks all day long, was thinking of toking up tonight. I just tried the basic EFT and am totally in a good mood now. AMAZING! No need to toke tonight. Everyone, please check EFT out!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r7OZwhcqxY"]YouTube - Overcoming Depression with Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT)[/ame]

17. SensitiveFlowers

SensitiveFlowers New Member

Pineapple Thai and Soma A-Plus

Pineapple Thai and Soma A-Plus, both in California, Oakland and Los Angeles. Los Angeles location is Herbal Solutions Dispensary. The Oakland one is "Harborside" or something like that. Pineapple Thai has 5% CBD! 6.5 THC. Not sure about the other one. Also, more strains are supposed to be coming out this Spring, hopefully, on a wider distribution network.

18. Nickel_Pickle

Nickel_Pickle New Member

I suffered from anxiety attacks from the time I was 16-20. At first, the anxiety attacks came after getting high so I stopped smoking. Then they started coming randomly, all the time. I always attributed the anxiety attacks from smoking pot, so I avoided it for 14 years.

I recently started smoking again, and I have found that sativa's give me the anxiety feelings for the first 30-45 minutes. My heart races, I get shaky and twitch, and then trip out on these feelings. I have found that if I take a small hit of a sativa, wait 15 minutes, and then take a little more, it doesn't bother me as much. It also does not take much to get the desired effect.

However, I have found that a strong indica does not give me ANY of the anxiety feelings. Right now I have some Afghan Kush (at least that is what I was told it is) and it is perfect for me. I don't have to wait 15 minutes between hits, my heart does not race, and I can relax and enjoy.

2 people like this.
  19. MintOctopus

MintOctopus New Member

High CBD strains of MMJ

This posting ranked up very high when I searched for 'high cbd anxiety', so I wanted to add some more current info about high CBD strains for others who may have also arrived by search.

There are currently (early 2011) some high CBD strains that are easy to find at the MMJ dispensaries in the San Francisco Bay Area. Here are some examples, with the cooresponding THC and CBD amounts:

True Blueberry Kush x OG Kush
    CBD: 12.4%
    THC: 8.5%

Harlequin
    CBD: 8.5%
    THC: 6.5%

Omrita Rx3
    CBD: 10%
    THC: 5.5%

These have been available consistently for the last 2 months (maybe earlier, but this is when I started seeking high CBD medicine) at SPARC SF in the city, although never more than 2 of these strains at a time. Also I notice that Harborside Health in Oakland mentions their stock of high-CBD prominently on their website.

Also have heard (but can't locate the article) that there are about 10 high-CBD strains that are being grown as part of ongoing research, and which should be readily available at dispensaries across the US soon.

Much different state of affairs from what earlier replies to this thread seemed to indicate, at least here in California.

Good luck,

the mint O

2 people like this.
  20. TrentO

TrentO News Contributor

I find cannabis makes my anxiety worse. I have to smoke in a safe place and not leave to go anywhere. Or else my attacks start to creep up. The weird thing is that on spice I have no attacks. Maybe because it is legal, and I'm not in fear of arrest. Not sure why that is.