cfl light vs. heat

Discussion in 'Growing Topics' started by greenstone, Oct 10, 2012.

1. greenstone

greenstone New Member

hey everyone first time poster here, so anyway i germinated my seed and planted it in a coco coin about two days ago. i'm worried that my seed might get heat stress because the temp. is reading 26-28 degrees celsius where the lights are placed now, the humidity is about 52% should i move my lights further away to reduce the heat because im worried if i do it might not get enough light they are only cfls after all. the lights are about an inch or two above the propagation case. help please guys i really don't want my seed to die. also im using an electric blanket when in the dark cycle to keep the temp. at 22 degrees is that a good idea
  2. Devildog3389

Devildog3389 New Member

The only time a cfl will burn a plant is when it is touching it for too long. During the light cycle, (18 hrs on, 6 off) your temp should be around 75 degrees Fahrenheit (or 23 degrees Celsius) and around 45% humidity. What you really need to concern yourself with is lumen count when dealing with cfl's. I currently run 21,000 lumens on two plants. (but that is just me) I have found that the high the lumen count the better. There is no such thing as too much light. Hope this helps.