Chemical Constituents of Cannabis

Discussion in 'Medicinal Marijuana' started by CheebaMonkey, Jul 17, 2003.

1. deviantchrisfx

deviantchrisfx New Member

What about sterilty in males?

I've heard this both ways. that weed causes sterilty in males and that it doesn't....is there any connection the the steroids and sterilty?

2. CheebaMonkey

CheebaMonkey Sr. Member

They have nothing to do with that. The steroids in cannabis are described as phytosterols which are found in plants you eat, such as wheat. They're not bad for your health, and as that page describes, can actually be beneficial for you:
    • Prevent heart disease
    • Ease enlarged prostate
    • Calm inflammation in rheumatoid arthritis
    • Control blood sugar in diabetes
    Smoking pot does not cause sterility in males. It's just a myth.

3 people like this.
  3. yuri420

yuri420 New Member

"Cannabis contains around 400 chemicals, when smoked this rises to 2000."

Came across a propaganda website today(http://trushare.com/High Time/Brett.htm) and it was all the same old bull until i came across this point....Has anyone ever heard this claim and under what principles, if any, is it founded upon?

4. Higher Logic

Higher Logic Web Developar

Cannabis does contain over 400+ chemicals, it's unknown as of now, and smoking obviously releases more chemicals that are associated with burning an organic matter. However, it's just propaganda, especially when you consider something like caffeine or tobacco with are in the 4000+ range in terms of chemical compoents.

Here are the chemical constituents of cannabis:

http://www.marijuana.com/420/showthread.php?t=22545

5. Phyxius

Phyxius New Member

And propaganda likes to imply that "chemicals" are always bad. It matters more what kind of chemicals, rather than how many.

6. yuri420

yuri420 New Member

Does anyone know the chemicals released when marijuana is burnt?

7. Higher Logic

Here's what happens when you smoke:

http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis_info3.shtml

And here's a breakdown of what is in cannabis:

8. yuri420

yuri420 New Member

Carcinogens?

Are any of those chemicals found in weed before it is burnt recognised as carcinogens?

9. Higher Logic

Not that I'm aware of, and the same goes for anything you smoke. Smoking releases things like formaldahyde (sp?) and other carcinogens, regardless of what it is.

10. Mamabudz

Mamabudz Guest

Not necessarily -- Only inf the chemical constituents to re-bond into a different molecule exist.

One thing cigarettes have that marijuana does not have -- is heavy metals.

Certain "heavy metals" are added to mass produced cigarettes in order to make them burn continuosly and these are particularly dangerous to the lungs. In addition there are pesticides used on tobacco that are not used on marijuana and finally, in tobacco you are smoking the LEAVES which contain a higher source of the tobacco related carcinogens -- with pot, you smoke the flowers.

11. GanjaGirl420

GanjaGirl420 Banned

Weired.... I know this kid who is 16, and he's been smoking heavy dope since he was seven. (Sick parents gave it to him by the oz... -shudders-) Anyway. He looks like he is eleven. Not a single facial hair, I'm nearly as tall as him "Me being 5'2"" and he is really scrawny... I know males mature slower than females, but he is almost always stoned and I swear the weed must've stunted his horomones from starting puberty. =/

12. MerryJuana

MerryJuana New Member

:eek: well i know parents who smoke and give their kids pot, but i have never heard of anyone smokin weed heavily since 7yrs, i know a kid whose smoked ciggs since he was 8-9yrs, didnt stunt his growth at all.

13. Dimebag-Dave

Dimebag-Dave New Member

Thats hard to believe, since smoking (cannabis or tobacco) severly stunts growth and other natural development / puberty. This is one of the reasons tobacco isn't legal to minors.

14. Richi

Richi CB1 receptor agonist

Is there still 483 known chemicals, or has this number been since revised?

15. gabz

gabz Banned

like that, cannaterpenes. Fits with wannaweed, lol.

16. Plainsman1963

Plainsman1963 New Member

The delicate and well-balanced mixture of a particular cannabis gives the bud it's unique psycho-active effect----this goes to show that just having a high THC bud is the factor that gets you high--it's the mixture of chemicals--hence "cannabinoids".

2 people like this.
  17. Plainsman1963

Plainsman1963 New Member

correction!

meant to say "NOT having just a high THC bud is the main factor". There are other phyto-chemicals that act in synergism with the THC to produce the characteristic "good high".

2 people like this.
  18. dirtbomb

dirtbomb Hippie

Terpines!!! I was thinking about this when I was smoking, the other day.(Gee, I wonder what makes pot smell and taste so much like an Xmas tree....)
    If the specific Terpine, Pinene is in it, that would explain why Pot has that sort of Pine smell. Lots of plants have it..eg. Juniper.
    It can be used as a mood elevator/relaxant in Aromatherapy.
    Yes, it's also a disinfectant.

2 people like this.
  19. Merry-juana

Merry-juana Sr. Member

Marijuana! Now with added vitamins!

Oh and BTW I smoke daily and I am 6ft2 with size 14 feet and a small beard. (I am 15 years old.)
    I would not call that "stunting growth" at all.

20. Merry-juana

Merry-juana Sr. Member

Not to mention it looks like a Xmas tree, decorated with shiny balls of glory... I think pot IS the original Xmas tree!

[​IMG]

Come on, you can't tell me that doesn't look like a Christmas tree.