Cleaned acrylic w/ salt+iso alc?

Discussion in 'Water Pipes' started by The Jester, Jul 24, 2009.

1. The Jester

The Jester New Member

I think I may have made a stupid mistake. :p

I was cleaning all of my glass pieces with rubbing alcohol and salt, when I decided to do the same with my new little acrylic bong. After I'd shaken everything up for a little while I emptied it out to rinse it and take a wet paper towel to anything still left in there. What happened instead, is that once it started drying there was a white film left behind that I can't seem to get rid of.

A quick google or three turned up v. little information, beyond "it can break your piece!" and "it makes it brittle." Doesn't seem like it did any of those things, just made it an eyesore.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there any way to get rid of the stain, or did I get a nice little abstract paintjob? Is it still safe to smoke out of?
  2. T0K3N00B

T0K3N00B New Member

It just discolored your bong from the way you described it.
  3. /love Marijuana

/love Marijuana New Member

I too tried to Google it also, because I was curious. And I too came across very little information aside from you mentioned. The little I did come across said that alcohol and salt together degrade it, and can cause a tiny layer of plastic to rub off. Maybe you just rubbed the top layer of colored plastic off and now you see the white plastic?

I dunno. But from what I read you may not want to smoke out of it again if you can't get it off.
  4. Vince331

Vince331 New Member

Iso alcohol made my old plastic bong brittle and it cracked in half after I cleaned it a couple times and tried to use it... Maybe it was just a cruddy bong though.
  5. 420Downunder

420Downunder Sr. Member

Iso in acrylics is a big no no, it breaks it down and ruins the bong, some even say it allows toxins to be leached from the plastic into the water and smoke though I don't think I'd go that far. One of the big things about glass besides being inert and not altering taste is that it can be easily and thoroughly cleaned.
  6. rich420

rich420 New Member

That's a bummer and sucks that it happened. But maybe some of us can thank you for learning from your mistakes. Good job on puttin that up :thumbsup:
  7. wayknbayk

wayknbayk New Member

the reason you see the white residue on the piece is from the salt and the hot water after the alcohol has reacted with it, you dont wanna let the salt solution stay stagnant in your piece, that causes the discoloration from that chemical reaction ( i dont kno all the sciencey stuff lol ). but as long as you keep shakin it and rinsing during that 10-15 min window, or however long it takes you/however ocd you are, you shouldnt have too much. but i think you will see a lil regardless.