cleaning a glass pipe

Discussion in 'Hand Pipes' started by markd653, Nov 28, 2007.

1. markd653

markd653 New Member

what can i use to clean a glass pipe nd get all of the resin out to smoke?
  2. pkster8235

pkster8235 Lazy Dancer

Well, to clean my glass pipes I follow the following simple steps..

1. Soak in rubbing alcohol (I always dillute it with water because I am paranoid) for about an hour to loosen the gunk inside (some people say over night, but an hour usually does it).

2. Using pipe cleaners and q-tips, clean the inside of the pipe. It's not easy getting around all the little nooks and crannies.. especially around the bowl, but you should be able to with pipe cleaners and q-tips.

3. Rinse well, let dry, pack a bowl, and spark it. :chokin:
  3. awitz

awitz New Member

PKster is right, any other way and you could break your pipe.
  4. bubba259

bubba259 New Member

no way! thats EXACTLY how i clean my pipe. u dont need to dilute with agua tho. ive cleaned mine in alcohol at least 10 times (its a way old pipe) and its had no negative effects
  5. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

If you clean your pipe with rubbing alcohol, the residue left over from incomplete combustion will be dissolved in it. If you want to smoke that crap, all you have to do is allow the water and alcohol to evaporate. I'd have to be really desperate to smoke all that tar to get what little THC might be in it. Since marijuana isn't addictive, I don't see how I'd ever be that desperate.
  6. turtle blue

turtle blue New Member

you could also boil your pipe but it's dangerous because thin peices could break
  7. buddha tokin

buddha tokin New Member

I just get alchohol, and water, then mix together, then add pipe, sit for 4 hours, dry, get a q-tip, clean resin, soak in water, dry, and spark!
  8. sterbo

sterbo sailor dog...

Alcohol straight up. Add some salt for abrasive. Soak. Swirl. Repeat until satisfied.
    Finesse via Q-tips, pipe cleaners etc. Been doing it for decades :p

A glassy chassis each and every time...
  9. aceosoccer

aceosoccer New Member

hey all the ideas with alcohol are dead on, but what i've found to work great is to bend the q-tip heads so they're wobbly and have different angles which allows you to get to the hard to reach places easier, and if you have a piece with larger holes, like mine has a huge carb and hole in the bowl so i could bend the q-tips and then have like one at a 90 degree angle and just get everywhere. the salt for abbrassion ( how the hell do you spell that ) is a good idea oh and if your worried about the alcohol take a lighter and let the flame get all in your piece to catch the alcohol on fire =) plus if your a pyro its fun

and if you run out of alcohol i know this is stupid but lysol works just as well and yes i know that was stupid to do, but all you have to do is rinse with water a few times to get rid of lysol contaminates

and dont hate about lysol thing mine needed a bad cleanin and only did once but actually worked great
  10. pkster8235

pkster8235 Lazy Dancer

I wouldn't even know how to get the liquid out of the lysol container without just holding down the button for a good twenty minutes. We don't really buy lysol anyway.. try to avoid the CFCs :)
  11. Tenderlungs

Tenderlungs Sr. Member

yeah, rubbing alcohol and salt will do it nicely. i've known people that actually broke glass pipes to get the resin once it built up, stupid people they were.
  12. Gwenolyth

Gwenolyth New Member

Buzzby, did you happen to look at the site and the thread that you are on? I respect your decision not to smoke, but you should respect others as well. Coming on this site and talking down to people is no way to minister to anyone in my opinion. I am assuming that is what you were trying to do by the picture that you posted. People come on this site for help/answers and in my experience education is the key to everything. If you are going to do something then be well educated about it and sites like these are good for information. You just have to weed through it.
    I don't smoke anymore, but when I did I was not a bad person. I used it as an alternative to pain medication and sleeping aids. While I was in college I smoked regularly and I graduated with a 4.0 GPA in Biomedical Sciences which is not an easy feat.
    Everyone knows the risks they are taking by smoking and it is less dangerous than alcohol and cigarettes. No THC is not physiologically addictive there is some people that develop a psychological dependence, but you will not go into deadly withdrawal symptoms like you do with some other substances including alcohol.
    It comes down to the simple point that every single person has the right to choose what they believe in and how they live their lives.
    4 people like this.
  13. KeyboardKing13

KeyboardKing13 New Member

...to come to the defense of a posted that died in 2007...

I think you should re-read Buzzby's post again without tearing him apart. I believe he was referring to resin when he said "smoking that crap". "Crap" exclusively meaning reding not Marijuana in general. I'm pretty sure that if he was on this forum in the first place, he wouldn't be registered to minister about weed. He is most likely a smoker saying "who cares about smoking resin because marijuana isn't addictive so I'll just stick to that withough getting the tar and chemicals left after cleaning out a pipe"

I'm not hating on you, I'm just making sure you don't fault him for nothing. Smoke on!
    2 people like this.
  14. SativaMe@420

SativaMe@420 New Member

The best & easiest way to clean any pipe is to use an ultrasonic cleaner with hot water & ultrasonic cleaning powder (or dishwasher detergent like Cascade), Harborfreight carries two sizes & the smaller one for $30 is perfect for most pipes, check em out: (--->CLICK HERE<---)