Cob Webs on a flower?

Discussion in 'Growing Topics' started by planehopr, Nov 29, 2011.

1. planehopr

planehopr New Member

I am scheduled to harvest on or around Christmas. I walked in tonight to feed the girls and I noticed a huge cob web over one of the buds! I live in the desert, we don't have a lot of bad things floating around that can harm plants. My house is very clean. My grow room is extremely clean.

Somehow something came in and cobwebbed one of the top colas.

Have you heard of this? How do I fix it. How do I get rid of the web covering this huge bud group?

Otherwise the plants look healthy, even the one with the web looks healthy. It is just odd.
  2. CasSteal

CasSteal New Member

check and see if you can find the little critter. he has to be around there somewhere. then google his ass.
  3. planehopr

planehopr New Member

I'm looking for him, but I can't find him...Thanks for the feedback...worst comes to worst I'll just chalk him up as extra protein.
  4. CasSteal

CasSteal New Member

Hey dude you know what though? You might want to separate it from the other plants, what if it has babies while your gone, and webs up your whole room? Not to that extent but I mean if it has babies your gonna be in trouble. I say destroy the web and put like ant trap stuff around the base of the flower to keep it from crawling up. Unless it's a 007 spidey and drops down from the ceiling. Better safe than sorry
    2 people like this.
  5. pHAETON

pHAETON New Member

I am assuming you know of the dreaded spider mite. Tiny bugger too small to really see well. I shine a LED flashlight through the leaves. Smooth green and yellow comes out the other side, unless there is a spider mite in the way, looking like a black spec of sand.
    If it is you will know soon, webs and eggs, mostly eggs.
  6. planehopr

planehopr New Member

Its late now, and I have to be up at 2:30 am to drive 100 miles to the airport. The girls wake up at 5 PM, and I"m going to be all over it like donkey-kong tomorrow! Hopefully not much will happen in 20 hours or so.

When you started talking about "babies" that scared the crap out of me...Even if the creature is somewhat benign, I don't need webs all over my buds. Perhaps tomorrow evening I'll post a picture. Thanks again.
  7. planehopr

planehopr New Member

Phaeton, I have heard of spider mites. I don't know how to kill them. Like I said, plants are moving right on course and look great...and I'm a few weeks outside of harvest. I look at the plants every day, and just today did I notice this web.

What can I do to stop this if I can't find the creature or eggs? I'm a newbie, as you know from answering a ton of my questions (thank you). I really don't want to F this up...I'm so close to harvesting my first 9 plants.
  8. planehopr

planehopr New Member

This is no joke...a single spider mite can spawn a population of a million spider mites in a month. I just went in and examined the plants...I only found webs in one flower--a big one. I pulled off the webs best I could and there were these little yellow flakes in them. I have no idea what that is.

Can anyone offer a safe way to kill these guys (if that's what they are). Money is not a problem, and I live in a large town to find anything. I don't want to poison my buds. I have given them lots of love and I don't want anything harsher than nutrients touching the plants if I can help it. However if I must bring out the big guns to save what I can I'll do it.

(sigh)
  9. CasSteal

CasSteal New Member

Hey I know I'm posting a lot in this thread but I just remembered something. I heard/read that if you stick cigarette butts in a gallon of water. Maybe like 5-10 cig butts and let it soak in the water for two days, then spray your plants they chemicals will kill it off.

Or

Do what I did, I went to my local hardware store and bought some organic insect killer, the stuff I bought was some strong pepper solution. Go to the store and ask if they have anything to kill Spider stuff
  10. planehopr

planehopr New Member

That's a great idea...Tomorrow I'll call the hydro store...Im in a medical mj state--so when I say spider mites are eating my tomatoes they will know what I mean and be able to help me find something. I smoke cigarettes, and I feel weird spraying nicotine on my buds, though I am aware of it being an insecticide.

Thanks for helping out...hopefully there will be a happy ending and someone else will find a good solution.
  11. Textual Violence

Textual Violence New Member

Get Neem Oil if they have it.
  12. pHAETON

pHAETON New Member

I have been infested twice, the second time the mites jumped off the sweater of another grower when he was visiting. One pregnant female goes unnoticed for three generations, then it is too late.

I never did come up with an easy answer, both times the grow area was cleared and all table surfaces wiped, floor was mopped, walls and reflectix were washed.
    I restrict access now, spider mites can suck up 20% of the harvest if unchecked.

You could be lucky and that was a lost member of a different species that just spent 150 tries at ballooning out of there.
    Said unknown spider leaving all the strings draped everwhere, the culprit aloft in the breezes not to be found.
    Could be. Neither of the infestations found here had yellow specs.

Eggs are white and glued to the leaf. Again being spottable in silhouette by shining a light through the leaf. A good (?) invasion will have bugs and/or eggs on ever leaf.
    In the beginning they made their homes in the lower middle, moving out from there.

Could be lucky. 80/20 says it isn't spider mites. Single top bud and yellow specs, not their mode.