Columbian Gold

Discussion in 'Strains and Definitions' started by ccol, Mar 17, 2009.

1. ccol

ccol New Member

I noticed that most the people who post on these forums are youngsters especially compared to my age group (50's) so I know they won't remember. But does anyone out there remember Columbian Gold pot from the 1970's? I've smoked some really good pot through the years but this was the best and it was cheap. It was actually gold in color. It was only around for a very short time and I'm just wondering if anyone has come upon it lately?
  2. dirtbomb

dirtbomb Hippie

Somebody tried to sell me what they insisted was CG recently.
    I tried very hard not to laugh in the guy's face.
    It's pretty much a lost strain. Like Acapulco and Panama Red, it's become one of the legendary delights of weedsteryear.
    On a more happy note, my last sack had some Acapulco Gold type results. Had me giggling like a fiend! :)
  3. rich420

rich420 New Member

Here's some of the new columbian gold

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I wish I could find some pictures of this "golden hammer" i picked up one time. There was literally like this weird balls of gold plant. It was dank.
  4. marcusJay

marcusJay New Member

It never really disappeared. People just called it something else.
  5. JahRed24x

JahRed24x New Member

umm you say the bud was actually 'gold' in color? oh geez
  6. Pompo

Pompo New Member

Yeah, back in the 70's we use to get Columbian Gold all the time. $30 to $35 an ounce. For awhile it was pretty common and then just stopped coming around. Seemed like Sens and Hawaiian weed became popular and kinda took over in the market. Haven't seen or heard of it being around since. Very good, inexpensive weed, really enjoyed it alot.

Yep, had a very golden color to it.
    [​IMG]
    2 people like this.
  7. FunkySkunky

FunkySkunky Gentille, allouette

My friend's dad has some weed he calls "Golden Oldies". It's some dank shit and it looks yellow. He's a product of the sixties and seventies so I'm sure he knows fine golden herb when he sees it. I bet it's something similar to CG.
  8. ProjecktBud

ProjecktBud New Member

I've hear it's still around, but rare. I saw a documentary on the 60's, and it mentioned Colombian Gold Strain specifically, but that's all I know about it.
  9. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

Other than Thai Sticks, Columbian Gold was the first really sticky bud I ever experienced "way back when". It was delicious, potent, and a whole lot cheaper than Thai.

It's hard to compare weed smoked 35 years ago with what I smoke today, but I'll tell you that today's high-end bud certainly appears to be better than Columbian Gold. It's stickier, smells stronger, and it takes less to get me high.
  10. Erich42791

Erich42791 New Member

I got some columbian gold right now dense buds, that are rather ugly looking, smell isnt the greatest, but its way more potent then it appears, I can see how it was top quality back in the day
  11. repteur

repteur New Member

I use to smoke it all the time back in the mid to late 70's. It was 35 a ounce or 400 a pound. The second pic in this thread that doesn't look anything like the columbian gold bud i use to smoke. To the one poster in this thread. Everyonce in a while i would see thai stick it was ok. Darker thai stick was better then lighter color. To the one poster yes the buds were dark gold in color. It also had a great smell. It disappeared because there was more money to be made smuggling coke from columbia then weed. I haven't seen it since like 82. Everything now is medical out of California. However another weed which was great back in the late 70's was maui waui out of hawaii. Its still around.
  12. bericus2010

bericus2010 New Member

C.Gold

U will never C none of those strains again I've been on several sites & they say the orginal strain was lost due 2 the person who had the strain he didn't produce enuff seeds & let the clones die out
  13. Smokey_Crow

Smokey_Crow New Member

... CG wasnt only grown by one person in colombia. my father is from colombia, and as a teenanger he used to work on a pot farm picking off the rats that would eat the plants with a .22

its not that the strain itself has died off, its just not as profitable to be brought into the US as it is to bring in coke. on top of it, it isnt as strong as the strains here in the US grown in Cali or in Canada. you can find it, but in order to do so you would have to go to the country itself to get the seeds
  14. goodoldays

goodoldays New Member

Ya man, that was the best I ever had back in 78 I liked it so much I had to buy me 10 lbs. I still have the burlap sack it came in printed on it SANTA MARTA GOLD I also have 2 sacks that have SANTA MARTA RED. I wish they could be full again. I heard it isn't around any longer because the strain was destroyed during the fucking reagan drug wars.
  15. StuartStrain

StuartStrain New Member

Way late but just getting here after searching online for Columbian Gold. Like you, I am a child of the 60s and 70s (turning 18 in 1977). I am dying to find something better than what is available to me here in the northern part of SE Florida at this time.

I don't know, maybe I need to move to Cali and search the medicine stores. All I really know is that today's (local to me) high grade 'named' strains do not do the job that the old $35 oz.Columbian Gold of yesteryear did - IMO. But then, maybe I just don't know the right people.

Anyway, I agree with a chronology that went from CG to Sens by the early 1980s or so (at least in my home area near Wash. DC.). I also remember the great Thai Stick (also better than modern stuff - IMO) that was around in the 1970s - but I most enjoyed a black opiated hash that a friend at work had unlimited access to in those days.

Well, I can do without that today, but I sure wish I could get my hands on some simple, Columbian Gold. I think perhaps Panama Red was over by the time I began indulging because I'm not sure I ever really had any.

For me - and to this day - Columbian Gold is the best marijuana I ever used.
  16. ohiogary

ohiogary New Member

I can relate

Same here, I grew up in the same era, I bought a lb of columbian gold when I was down in San Diego, it had the prettiest gold color, never forgot it, and at times it would come around along with columbian red, generally 30-35 and ounce, and at the same time I didnt think the mexican weed was all that bad, I remember paying 150.00 for a lb, or 15-20 per ounce, the lbs would come in a brick form, it was hard to believe how much weed could be compressed into a brick......The real thai stick was incredible and would say it definely gave todays weed a run for the money, you might find one or two seeds in a stick and if you did, they were almost the size of a pea......a walk down memory lane......
  17. MrNatural

MrNatural New Member

As a child of the 60's growing up in Southwest Miami, I remember those Columbian Gold sticky buds fondly. We smoked them for years because it all came through right here.
    I have smoked a lot of great weed in my life and that Gold was as good as any I've ever smoked. Used to buy it for $20-$25 a full bag! It was tough to hold down though, just made the lungs expand so quickly, and hit you hard! Cartoon high, pie-eyed and happy!
    Most people think that everyone smoked dirt weed back then, and a lot of people did, but down here, we got all the high end! It was a smorgasborg of different strains and Columbian Gold was always my weed of choice! Great stuff!
  18. 1956

1956 Sr. Member

19. spamtrap

spamtrap New Member

When I first started smoking ... which was around 1978... almost all you could get was home grown (which was awful), Colombian for $40 per ounce, and Colombian Gold for $45 to $50 per ounce. I think the Colombian Gold I was smoking back then is equivalent to today's schwag or mid-grade. It was always about half seeds in weight.
  20. zkid420

zkid420 New Member

I was actually compelled to register just to reply to this. I can tell you remember the real shit because you describe the key quality of CG from back then - it would make you bark like a dog and lose your hit. I mean, I don't know if I've ever smoked anything since then that you could feel just expand instantly like that. The real shit was orange too with maybe some seeds. Most everything had seeds back then and if you want to know what the 70's were like, picture people getting high with pot smoke in the air with the occasional hint of nasty seed smoke ;)

But I digress..the first time I ever hit it was before school in 7th grade. Some of the older kids were standing around this park restroom building passing CG around and passed it to me and told me to hit it hard, I did, and I must have barked for 10 minutes after that. I was however stoned to the bone all the rest of the school day and then some LOL

I'm up here in Washington state so my experience is like others who saw it maybe now and then over a year or so from maybe 1977-1978 (at least up here), then nothing...just a memory.

And on that note, thanks for the memories! I was just browsing around these forums and saw CG and thought 'oh old friend!' :hail:

Peace!