Concussion + Weed?

Discussion in 'Medicinal Marijuana' started by Budding Thinker, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Budding Thinker

Budding Thinker New Member

I got a moderate concussion yesterday, and after throwing up and having a killer headache, the doctor told me to go on "brain-rest" and "not do anything physically or mentally draining" for at least 24 hours. I took the cue to go home and smoke, but I didn't think about that possibly being the wrong thing to do - also, when I was high, I forgot I was supposed to rest and ran a mile and then walked around with friends for a couple of hours.

This morning I woke up with a very tender neck (like it hurts to move it much). I guess I'm wondering if a) I should have/should lay off the weed while I'm recovering and b) why my neck hurts?

2. SourDieselMan

SourDieselMan New Member

I had a third degree concussion back in the 4th grade. I had to rest for two days. It was bad. You should be fine considering you could actually do all of those things. Just take it easy the rest of the day and you'll be good.

3. A Stoner

A Stoner New Member

You can probably toke, just rest... That shouldn't be hard ;)

4. clint902

clint902 Sr. Member

Frequently defined as a head injury with a temporary loss of brain function, concussion can cause a variety of physical, cognitive, and emotional symptoms.

A concussion isn't something you want to fool around with. I'm not sure about smoking but you don't wanna make it any worse by running around and doing stuff so the best thing to do is rest. Toking might be alright but why take a chance? A few days without smoking won't hurt you.

5. cabriosnap

cabriosnap Not Man, Merely a Machine

seeing as this is day 2 of your concussion, you should be fine to smoke. just make sure to lay down and take it easy.

i got rocked pretty hard at moshpit last summer and got a mild concussion. smoked the whole time i had it, and it made the situation a lot more bearable

if you where to search, you will find like 6 threads on this very topic

http://www.marijuana.com/search.php?searchid=2172034

6. LoAnnaLove

LoAnnaLove Active Member

This is a question you should be asking your doctor, not someone on a forum with no medical education background. Marijuana affects different parts of the brain, and it could affect the same part(s) of your brain that was injured. As far as running and walking around with friends, your putting yourself in a situation that could end badly. I have a few friends that seem to get concussions more then they eat a veggie, and yes they didnt listen to the doctor and did everything they would normally. Two times they ended in the hospital unconscious from drinking and from a very minor fall skateboarding. Save yourself from guessing and worries and ask your doctor if its okay to toke. Many doctors are open about marijuana and rather you discuss your drug use then hide it.

7. #BuD

#BuD New Member

I don't know how serious your concussion is but last football season I got a concussion from getting hit in the too much and I couldn't play for like 6 weeks. Running a mile isn't a smart thing to do though, if your brain moves around to much it can become severe and you could get reconcussed easily.

8. victoria stiles

victoria stiles New Member

You should take rest, IF you are asked to take. You will recover very soon, but if you will ignore Taking rest, It can cause you more complications and further it may take more time to recover. get well soon.