Coughing

Discussion in 'Vaporizers' started by AngelHeart, Aug 9, 2011.

1. AngelHeart

AngelHeart Active Member

Sometimes when I vape (instead of smoking a J) I still cough. Does this ever happen to anyone else or are my lungs just fucked up? Are there some strains that are better smoked than vaped?

2. m0sh

m0sh New Member

Happens to everyone mate.

THC can cause your throat to irritate...in fact,I myself cough much more when I vape...why? because I take such big hits that you wouldn't be able to take from a joint...because the vapor is not that hot you take much more THC into your lungs in just one hit , the holder you long the harder it gets, but the more rewarding also :)
    I don't mind coughing and usually it cleans (dries) the whole inner face area( no idea the english term for that)

BTW, try to drop the temperature down if you find coughing to be a problem for you.

3. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

Introducing anything other than air into your lungs will make you cough if the concentration is high enough. I try to keep the temp on my VHW tuned so that the vapor density is below the point that makes me cough.

2 people like this.
  4. AngelHeart

AngelHeart Active Member

Thanks. I'm a bit worried because I used to be an avid cigarette smoker. I have my vape set at 370 F. I'll try 350 F instead. M0sh I know exactly what you are talking about. I usually cough up a slight bit of mucus (sorry; don't mean to be gross) but it's always very light or clear; no greens or dark colors.

5. m0sh

m0sh New Member

You don't have to worry, vaporizing is safe and cannot cause your lungs problems...
    Vaporizing is super healthy , especially in the lower temps...

mucus also is fine. the act itself dries your mouth cavity , so if you're a bit cold its good...I also get mucus...

6. AngelHeart

AngelHeart Active Member

What is the lowest temperature I can vape my weed at? I have a volcano if that matters at all. A while back I read the highest temp should be 365 F. Then I read the the variance for the volcano's temperature is plus /minus 5 degrees so I have mine set at 370 F. Not certain where I read this info. More than likely it was on this forum. I plan on buying a thermometer to put it to the test. I'll let you know how it goes. I wasn't sure if I should start a new thread so I posted here.

7. m0sh

m0sh New Member

Where have you read it ? the only thing I read on the volcano is that combustion starts above 230C ...

A while ago I posted a thread here about cannabis vaporization points
    http://www.marijuana.com/vaporizers/159118-cannabis-vaporization-temperatures.html

please care and read...sorry its in C you can easily google for F
    But basically you can start vaporizing at 314F

8. AngelHeart

AngelHeart Active Member

Thanks. Will definitely lower the temperature to 315F. I'll let you know what happens. I'm also going to call Storz and Bickel; the volcano manufacturer. I'm very curious about what they have to say.

9. AngelHeart

AngelHeart Active Member

I just lowered the temp to 315F. The vapor was very light and I did not cough at all; even with a big hit. I'm going to post the high and low temp question in the polls.

10. 5drive

5drive Slacker

315 is low. You're losing out on a lot of good compounds there, and maybe not even getting all the THC. According to this study - NORML -MAPS Study - 365 F is where you still avoid getting major toxins with your vapor. Most vapes with a fixed temp are set between about 370 and 385. Harsh, high temp vapor comes well above 400 F.

11. AngelHeart

AngelHeart Active Member

Yes that was definitely too low. At 330 the vapor was slightly heavier. Minimal amount of coughing. I felt a slight buzz but 330 is too low. I haven't yet tried any temperatures between 330 and 370.

The MAPS Study sounds very familiar to me. I'm going to check that link. I definitely remember reading to set my Vape at 365 but it was a while ago and I'm not sure if it was this forum or somewhere else. I also remember reading the Volcano has a temperature variance of plus or minus five degrees. What I mean is if you set the Volcano to 365F the actual temperature could be 360F to 370F. Up until a couple of hours ago I had always kept my vape set at 370F. At 370F the vapor is a lot more dense. I cough more but I definitely notice a much larger dose of THC :mj:.

12. 5drive

5drive Slacker

Some people are just bothered more than others with vapor. My wife smokes cigs with no problem, but often coughs with e-cigs or vaping herb. I almost never cough, no matter how big the hit or how high the temp.

The Volcano Classic's plus or minus 5 degrees isn't much variance, and I wouldn't worry about it. I've never heard anyone using the 'cano say that they could tell a big difference in harshness, from one increment to the next.

You can try opening your mouth some and letting in some outside air when you hit the bag, to dilute the vapor more, and/or maybe take smaller hits. I think changing your draw will have more effect than a slight temp adjustment. You have to go quite a bit higher, approaching combustion, to get the harsh vapor.

13. Le0n

Le0n New Member

Even if it is pure vapor there is still a high chance that you will cough given that the hit is a large one. You will notice the cough sensation is different from having a large bong hit.

May I also mention that my preffered range is from 360 (weak) to 395 respectively. Now that I am a seasoned "vapist" I can handle thick bong hits of 395 - but when I got a lung full I have to concentrate hard to not let out a cough, because evryone knows, when you cough with a lungful it makes the rest fel like crap :p

14. AngelHeart

AngelHeart Active Member

I notice sometimes I cough more with vape than I do if I smoke the Incredibowl or a joint. My sister saw me vaping one day and she also thought I coughed more with vape. Sometimes it happens; sometimes not. I think it might depend on the strain of weed. I have always had a difficult time with bong hits; even as a teenager. A few days ago I took a hit from the Gravity Vortex. I covered the carb hole and gave that thing a huge kiss. When I let go of the carb that hit was like a punch. I coughed for about a half hour.

I hope your wife quits smoking cigarettes. I used to also smoke cigarettes. I quit for the 100th time in December 2010. I regret I ever smoked tobacco. Read my post (I know; it's long) in the legal age to smoke thread. Also; watch the interview with Dr. Wygan on the show Aftermath on the Bio channel. If I find a link to it I'm going to post it in videos.

15. AngelHeart

AngelHeart Active Member

Does anyone know how much the carcinogenic bi-products are reduced when vaping? I've read 100% (I wish this was true but I highly doubt it). I have also read 30%.

16. Le0n

Le0n New Member

I don't know about percentage but you can analyze it yourself by seeing which chemicals are produced at which tempratures and compare that to the 400F maximum you use while vaping.

100 percent seems un-realistic, however 30 percent seems under estimated. The issue here is combustion compared to gradual and limited heating. Once you burn something you produce by-products that are numerous, where as the 400F maximum can only produce a set of by-products, if any. Vapor in respect to Cannabis ie merely the boiling of the THC stalk along with flavoring and essence evaporation, hence the browning by the end - but you notice it is a browning, and not a blackening.

I would estimate in heindsight that the reduction percentage to sit at around 95. Combusted plant material can release an array of by-products and their variations.

Vaporization is by far the heathiest manner of which to use Cannabis without opting for edibles and the like.