dementia and marijuana?

Discussion in 'Medicinal Marijuana' started by john898, Oct 28, 2011.

1. john898

john898 New Member

my dad has dementia and has bad anxiety. I was wondering if smoking a little
    bud would chill him out? Is there a certain one I should keep to like indica or sativa?
  2. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

Cannabis has shown to be of benefit in calming people with Alzheimer's. I'd definitely go with the Indica.
  3. BipolarBunny

BipolarBunny New Member

Dementia is a horrible thing to witness. I'm sorry your family is going through that.

If you can get him on board, go with some indica for sure. Sativa may make him more anxious.
  4. john898

john898 New Member

What would be the best delivery?
  5. BipolarBunny

BipolarBunny New Member

An honest one.

I don't know what your old man is like. Did he ever smoke as a teenager? Is he very conservative? Sit him down and have a serious talk. Make it clear that you are advising him to use cannabis for its medicinal benefits, not because you want to get high with him. Show him some reputable information about the medicinal properties of marijuana. It's ultimately up to him. Tricking him into taking his medicine is unethical.

I would look into edibles. I've heard somewhere that older folks prefer them because there's not as much stigma attached.

And if he does agree, don't get high with him until he says he's comfortable with it. Remember, this is a medical issue, not a recreational one.
    2 people like this.
  6. mallitia95

mallitia95 Sr. Tokemaster

Vaporization or edibles.