Do vapes hurt your throat?

Discussion in 'Vaporizers' started by MonarchX, Jan 23, 2008.

1. MonarchX

MonarchX New Member

I know vapes are better for lungs, but after 3 days of vaping my throat is in agony. It hurts so bad when you vape. I can handle a blunt shotgun, but a big vape hit is more painful.

I have Vapolution and vape at 12 to 9 oclock.

2. vern

vern Sr. Member

No, my throat and lungs are better than they ever were when I used to smoke. Are you vaping weed?

3. MonarchX

MonarchX New Member

Yes, weed.

4. 5drive

5drive Slacker

Vaping can dry out your throat to some degree, depending on the vape and how you're using it. A little water always does the trick for me-no lasting discomfort at all. And since the dry, warm air is what really dries out your throat, I've found that the Vapolution, with its high vapor to air ratio, is the easiest on my throat of any model I've used. Big hits can sometimes be a little hard to handle, again, depending on the unit and the user, but it's not your throat that's affected there. And the Vapolution can't deliver nearly as big a hit as a typical whip vape, since the bowl is narrow. You're not trying to hit it like it's a bong, are you? Or maybe overcooking your bowl?

5. Darque Pervert

Darque Pervert Jive Honkey

I think that a vape would hurt your throat if someone with some muscle behind them hit you in the neck with one...
    Especially if it's a glass piece that breaks... Oooo, that would hurt!
    :lmao:

Seriously, if you use them the way they were designed, then consuming herb vapors or any sort (including, but not limited to marijuana), then the consumption will be far less damaging to throat, windpipe & lungs.
    That's the whole point behind vaping, actually.

6. MonarchX

MonarchX New Member

Yeah, I tried to hit it like a bong... didn't work. Is 12 oclock to 9 oclock setting overcooking? I start at 12 and slowly turn towards 9 once 12 stops giving vapor.

7. Zaireeka

Zaireeka New Member

What model of vaporizer do you have? That's the only way we can get a true gauge for what temp settings are what. Though, each individual model is different (i.e., my VaporWarez Vapor Canon G3 may slightly differ from Troublemaker_42's VaporWarez Vapor Canon G3, even though they're the same make from the same company).

8. Vicki

Vicki Cat Whisperer

I have a Vapor Warez hands free. It does not cause me to have throat irritation, but smoking does.

9. MonarchX

MonarchX New Member

I have Vapolution and there is only one Vapolution I am aware of...

10. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

If you're hurting your throat, you've got the temperature set too high. The density of the vapor is controlled by how hot the air is passing through the load. More milder hits are much easier on your throat than fewer denser hits.

Other than that, keep drinking water while you're smoking or vaping. It gets rid of the cottonmouth and cools your throat.

11. sweet gia

sweet gia New Member

not that i suffer from the question asked. nor do i know how adaptable accessaries are from various manufactures.

that said i recently saw online that vaporbrothers have a new accessary, the hydrator. its a water pipe that ya attach the whip mouthpiece to so ya take a vaped toke thru water. it looks like overkill to me but it might prove useful to dried out throats...

vape on
    gia

edit: just read a take on a water filter & unless i misunderstood it said they can cause dry throat. so i guess nm me.

12. MonarchX

MonarchX New Member

Wow.... this is my 4th day recovering from vaping weed.

Can you do permanent damage to your throat with a vape? Last time I did it the pain was unbearable. I had to quit after 5 minutes of vaping. I thought there was a hole in my throat.

Now my throat is fine, but DURING vaping I will only use the AIW bowl that lets you take in air. The whip and bowl method is not for me.

13. 5drive

5drive Slacker

A little dryness in the throat is normal, usually more so with bagged vapor. Your experience is most certainly not the norm, especially with the Vapolution, which is the smoothest hitting vape I've used. Half the time (especially with the AIW bowl) I can't even tell I've gotten a hit until I exhale. I've never heard of that strong a reaction from anyone, using any vape.

14. Vicki

Vicki Cat Whisperer

Neither have I. I never get a sore throat from vaping, and people who have used mine never complained of it either. It's been so long since I used my Voodoo that I can't remember if it gave me a sore throat compared to my Vapor Warez.

15. Buzzby

If I turn the temperature control on my VaporWarez too high, it can produce vapors of such density that it'll set me to coughing like I'd had a bong hit. That's when I turn it down so I won't hurt my throat or lungs.

Last night, I was vaping at my usual temperature (12'o'clock) and the load ignited! It's a shock to get a lung full of harsh smoke when you're expecting gentle vapors. I can't figure out why that happened, but it sucks. I had to thoroughly clean the whip to get rid of that burnt taste and smell.

2 people like this.
  16. vern

vern Sr. Member

When I first got my vape, I had a hard time figuring out if I was getting vapor or not. Now I have it down so I can get bigger hits. I don't mind a little "push" on my lungs/throat but I hate coughing. I can usually tell when to much is to much when I'm taking a hit....at that point I stop inhaling from the whip and take in a huge gasp of air, exhale some, inhale more air and repeat a couple times.

I was sick last week and the only thing that allowed me to vape with a sore throat was water. I would drink some before or after every hit. I've never found vaping harsher than any method of smoking.

17. Vicki

Vicki Cat Whisperer

Wow, that is really freaky. I wonder if it was just a fluke. I hope it isn't something that happens after the unit gets older. Not that it would matter since there is a 5 year warranty. :) How old is your Vapor Warez?

18. MonarchX

MonarchX New Member

I sue 12 oclock temp and my weed is close to being black when I am done. This is what the manual says I should use - 12 oclock.

I will try maybe 10 or 9 oclock.

19. Buzzby

No. It's happened before.

I think it has to do with how much flammable resin is in the weed and how finely divided the particles are. It's like that explosion at the sugar factory or exploding flour silos. If you break something up finely enough, it'll burn much faster and at a lower temperature

Less than a year.

20. Vicki

Vicki Cat Whisperer

That's really weird. That has never happened to me, and I hope it never does. :eek: