Does a water bong filter THC?

Discussion in 'Water Pipes' started by Vegeta420, Jun 25, 2002.

1. Vegeta420

Vegeta420 Banned

this is something i heard but am not sure if its true.
  2. techno_trancer

techno_trancer New Member

if its say, a six-chamber water bong then yes it does filter the smoke, for the good and bad. good is you hardly feel the hit, its been filtered and cooled so much, bad is THC is also filtered through multiple chambers
  3. mylobean

mylobean New Member

It may filter some THC, but THC is not water soluble, so I don't think much of it would be filtered out by the water.
    2 people like this.
  4. No, THC isitnt water soible (sp?) Plus, of it did, gthen why is the high more intense?
  5. ikari

ikari Seasoned Activist

it's not always. And if it is, it's because any device is more efficient than say a joint, so you get a lot more regardless. But there have been times in which i'd say i've been more stoned off of joints than bongs...

but as for the general quesiton, no, i do not believe water filters out any substantial amount of THC. a little is a maybe, but that's unlikely too, because as said above, THC is a lipid soluble thing, not water
  6. EeJay

EeJay Senior Member

Yeah, if there is any difference, it's not significant enough for it to matter. If you're wanting to maximise your THC absorption using bongs, then consider the use of screens and your inhalation techniques.
  7. Shaman

Shaman Seasoned Activist

Ikari - What do you mean joints aren't efficient???
    I'll provide a couple of quotes from the M.A.P.S. study about smoking efficiency;
    "Surprisingly, the unfiltered joint outperformed all devices except the vaporizers"
    "Disappointingly, waterpipes performed uniformly worse than the unfiltered joint. The least bad waterpipe, the bong, produced 30% more tar per cannabinoids than the unfiltered joint."
    Here's the link to that study
  8. sgtspliffkin

sgtspliffkin New Member

dude, i think it doesn't really "filter" out the THC. but, it does cool down the smoke in the bong to the point where some of the THC that is floating around in the smoke cools down and falls out of the smoke. Thus, you lose some thC in the water, not due to its filtering but do to its cooling effects on the smoke. Plus, you always see resin inside a bong thats been used a while, so some THC gets deposited on the inside surfaces of bongs, too.
  9. Bailey1138

Bailey1138 Senior Member

bongs do filter out some of the THC, but not a whole lot. The reason why the high seems more intense is because of the massive amount of smoke you're inhaling at one time, when compared to a bowl or a joint.

Actually, the studies I've read have shown that joints are surprisingly the most efficient method. But who cares what a study says anyway? I ain't giving up my glass pipe.
  10. ikari

ikari Seasoned Activist

alrighty, if that's true than it further advocates my point that the high isn't always "more intense" :)

[edit] err from a bong that is [/edit]
  11. TheGreenBlazer

TheGreenBlazer New Member

Yeah, but who stuffs a joints worth of weed into a bong? Maybe joints aren't bad, but I shudder to think of all the high going up in smoke the way it does...
  12. EeJay

EeJay Senior Member

^Exactly.

That study was determining the cannibinoid to tar ratio, not the THC absorption from using each "device". When you use a bong, you inhale all the smoke, when smoking a J, a bit of it burns without being inhaled and it's also easier to take bigger hits off bongs than joints. This is why bongs are more efficient than J's in getting you stoned with the same amount of weed.
  13. Shaman

Shaman Seasoned Activist

But unless you're packing one-hitters into your bong, the bowl will burn when not being smoked just like a joint.
  14. EeJay

EeJay Senior Member

Yeah, I guess. That's how I smoke, though. I like to smoke using something that's efficient and portable and my little bongs do just that.
  15. KingBudz

KingBudz New Member

Yes in that M.A.P.S. study they said that more THC is lost in water bongs than tar. Also a lot is lost in the slipstream. What do you think resin is? With a joint you're smokin the whole thing slipstream and all so yes joints are the most efficient besides vaporizers.
  16. wakDbuds

wakDbuds Jr. Activist

you can do big one hitters if you chop up your pot really small, just use a smaller conepiece, and make sure its not getting blocked up. if your lungs are nicely tarred like mine you shouldnt have a problem taking the whole thing in one hit.

i use a big double chamber bong, so i use one breath to pull the thing and straight away exhale then clear it with a second ... mmm deliciousness :liplick:
  17. skiff

skiff New Member

ok so joints leave smoke in the air. but bong water filters out some thc. joints can be a pain an u always have to buy them. but u go spend 15 20$ at a headshop an pick up a nice glass pice. yea you always lose some smoke but if you know how to light a bowl it wont smoke when your done with your toke. i would say get glass pipes there easy cheep enuf an there always there no fiddleing with papers all the time just break the nug up ab shove it in there an smoke it
  18. FenderGreen

FenderGreen New Member

I know THC is not water soluble but I do not know about other cannaboids.
    I think you will lose more THC from it resonating on the glass rather than being filtered by water.
  19. KRazY_KuSh

KRazY_KuSh New Member

I would rather my Glass be resonated then my lungs. Thats why i prefer water filtration over all. If you have ever seen a bong that has not been cleaned after a bunch of uses you will know how fukin nasty the shit growing stinks and smells. when i look and see that im glad that shit was not in my lungs.
  20. BaconEggCheese

BaconEggCheese New Member

It DOES NOT filter THC...

The water filters tarr and some of the other chemical in weed, which is CBD or "Cannabidiol".... THC's nonpsychoactive counterpart that has a lot of the more medicinal effects of pot. I read this in High Times Medical Marijuana News. Sometimes a pipe or just smoking w/o water feels more potent, but sometimes it's the other way around. I guess there are a lot of variables. I know it's stupid but im wigging out over this question. lol i want to know!