Does AZO affect urine tests?

Discussion in 'Urine Testing' started by schrodie, Aug 14, 2008.

1. schrodie

schrodie New Member

AZO is an OTC medicine used to relieve symptoms of a urinary infection. The active ingredient is Phenazopyridine Hydrochloride.

With the pyridine, the concern here is that it might be detected and flagged as an adulterant. My donor has a UTI and has taken AZO. She got started on Bactrim (which may also test positive for certain off-topic drugs as well-- but I digress).

Coincidentally, I'm also being treated for a UTI, also with Bactrim-- but I'm not using AZO. I'm sticking with the cranberry juice!

But if I use her sample, could the AZO affect the results, and would going in with a box of AZO and verification from my doctor that I'm being treated for a UTI (or at least the scrip of Bactrim) be sufficient to cover the "adulterant--pyridium" result if it happens?
  2. Secs

Secs New Member

Don't take your mediations in with you. If there is a problem, the Medical REview Officer who oversees the laboratory results and collection process will call you. Just write down the information in the event the MRO does call.

Again, for those who haven't heard before:

YOU NEVER NEED TO GIVE ANY MEDICAL INFORMATION AT THE TIME OF COLLECTION. A URINE COLLECTOR ISN'T A DOCTOR, PHARMACIST, AND MOST TIMES THEY AREN'T EVEN A NURSE. YOU NEVER SIGN A HIPAA NOTICE WHEN GIVING A URINE SPECIMEN, SO THERE SHOULD BE NO WAY YOU WILL TELL THE COLLECTION FACILITY ANYTHING ABOUT YOUR MEDICAL HISTORY.

Take the approach: Wait and see.

If the lab finds nothing, you are fine. If the lab finds something, a doctor will call. never volunteer informatiuon.
  3. JuanMoreTime

JuanMoreTime New Member

That seems to be one of the "old myths" that you need to take and tell everything. Kind of like the myth about Niacin helping to pass a urine test.
  4. KillerWeed420

KillerWeed420 Sr. Member

The other thing is to make sure the MRO can get ahold of you. For DOT type testing the MRO is required to try and contact you 3 times in a 24 hour period. If he can't get ahold of you he releases the info to your employer.
  5. Secs

Secs New Member

Close, but not quite. Actually, he must try at various times for up to 10 days unless extenuating circumstances arise. Those circumstances are outlines below.

If he can't get ahold of you after 24 hours, he is allowed to call the employer or TPA to have them call the donor to let the donor know he/she is supposed to phone the MRO. IF, after being assured that the donor knows he/she is required to phone the MRO and doesn't, then (as long as 72 hours have passed) the MRO may assume the donor is avoiding the conversation and can report the urine test as positive, substituted or adulterated.

6. LaVita

LaVita New Member

Sec, as always great info! We can all trust you don't just pull things out of the air, but back them up with knowledge. Thanks again for that:)