Does it really help asthma?

Discussion in 'Medicinal Marijuana' started by sweetladyluck, Feb 16, 2010.

1. sweetladyluck

sweetladyluck New Member

I was diagnosed with asthma when I was little, and it hardly ever bothered me, I haven't had an asthma attack for 10 years or so. I started smoking about half a year ago, so I was just wondering if it was true about it healing asthma.
    And if I can get a card for it when I'm over 18?
    2 people like this.
  2. Lucid

Lucid New Member

i used to have mild asthma that pretty much disappeared when i started smoking, but it might affect everyone differently.. i think smoking weed opens up your bronchi (or whatever it's called). i dunno, i read it somewhere, don't quote me on that lol
  3. Vicki

Vicki Cat Whisperer

I have Asthma, and I wouldn't say that cannabis helps it that much. I use a maintenance inhaler twice a day, and a rescue inhaler if I need it. I will say cannabis has not made my Asthma any worse, if I am vaporizing or ingesting it. If I smoke cannabis, my lungs hurt for days, so no more smoking for me. :)
  4. Olympia Hippie

Olympia Hippie New Member

I have my medical card for it and it does help
    not as much as a trusty inhaler but it does give some nice relief
  5. Ganjika

Ganjika ☼ Account Closed ☼

YES! It Does Help! THC is a Bronchial-Dilator (opens the bronchial tubes) It was actually marketed as a Asthma cigarette way back in the day (before 1937 when cannabis was ENTIRELY LEGAL and OPENLY SOLD AND AVAILABLE) - one little known fact is that marijuana (when grown properly) can stop a FULL ON ASTHMA ATTACK in its tracks (at least long enough to get to a hospital.).

[​IMG]

ANTI-ASTHMA CIGARETTES:
    Because of our present day disgust for the tobacco industry, one is tempted to dismiss the idea of a medical (life saving) cigarette altogether. But that would be a mistake: Cannabis, in its smokable form, has been known to quickly stop full-scale asthma attacks. A medical fact that, while only scientifically proven in the late 20th Century, did not go unnoticed by 19th Century medical practitioners. To quote a major medical journal of its day:
    CIGARETTES OF CANNABIS INDICA.
    Medical Times and Gazette. Medical News; Oct 1870; 28, 334;

"The cigarettes of Cannabis Indica, made by Gremault, of Paris, have been found most efficient in the treatment of affections of the organs of respiration and circulation, no less than in affections of the central and peripheral nervous system. The unpleasant effects which so often follow the internal and subcutaneous use of opium and of Cannabis Indica are not produced by the cigarette. There use is recommended (1) in spinal neuroses, and epilepsy; (2) in neurosis of the sensory nerves, neuralgia of the teeth, branches of the fifth pair, the sciatic nerves; (3) neuroses of the motor nerves, spasm of the throat air passages; (4) affections of the sympathetic nerves, hysteria, and other diseases not attended with plethora, and congestion of the head, heart, or lungs. They are especially useful in asthma, peruses, spasm of the stomach and intestinal canal, nervous palpitation of the heart, and exert a quieting influence over the whole nervous system." ​
    INDIAN CIGARETTES by Grimault & Co.:
    This particular brand "Indian Cigarettes" [1] manufactured by the Grimault Corporation, is of special interest to us. This is due mainly to the fact that it seems to have been the ONLY established brand name of Cannabis Cigarettes offered for sale in this country. Also, remembering that medical marihuana cigarettes were quite legal back then, it is one of the most highly documented brand names available.

[​IMG]

According to the United Nations [Bulletin on Narcotics 1951],[2] Under the subtitle: "Preparations exempted from the control measures of the Narcotics Conventions: The following formula is given:
    Preparation # 5: Indian Cigarettes of Grimault (Dr. Ph. Chapelle)
    Government: Siam
    Notification: C.L.302.1930.III. Annex I
    Formula:
    Belladonna leaves - 0.962 gm
    Cannabis indica extract - 0.0005 gm.
    Nitrate of potash - 0.033 gm

Which brings up an interesting subject; Again, according to the United Nations [Bulletin on Narcotics 1962],[3] the following is stated:
    "Preparations made from extract or tincture of cannabis were not mentioned in the 1925 Convention, but in 1935 were brought within the control of the Convention by a decision of the Health Committee of the League of Nations under article 10 of the Convention. Such preparations are in some respects under a stricter control than the extract and tinctures themselves. Preparations made from the extract and tincture which are capable only of external use, and a medicinal cigarette called "Indian Cigarettes of Grimault" (Dr. P. H. Chapelle) are exempted from control.[ League of Nations document C.136.M.87. 1939. III ] ​

[​IMG]

[1] With reference to Indians from India.

[2] UnitedNations\BulletinOnNarcotics1951Issue4-001.htm Subsection: Preparations exempted from the control measures of the Narcotics Conventions

[3] Bulletin on Narcotics - 1962 Issue 4 http://www.undcp.org/bulletin/bulletin_1962-01-01_4_page005.html

13 people like this.
  6. Light

Light New Member

That's sweet info, thank you for the research :)
    2 people like this.
  7. muttdawg509

muttdawg509 New Member

well I had asthma as a child, but nowadays it will come back to bother me sometimes, and when I hit the weed while my lungs are feeling tight, it doesnt seem to help one bit, it actually makes things worse....
  8. Ganjika

Ganjika ☼ Account Closed ☼

Some forms of cannabis are better for some conditions than others, grown with certain properties and traits (and sometimes genes) - the HIGH quality stuff is BEST for medicinal purposes.
  9. Xstasy

Xstasy New Member

I have had a very severe case of asthma since birth. I am at hspt at least 3 times a year (usually a 1-2 weeks stay), I have been intubated countless times, and even had Last Rites given 2 me. No medicine the dr prescribes as a maintenance medicine has sufficiently helped.... I have 2 say, when I smoke MJ I have had it help relax my breathing. I m out of my rescue inhaler now, and the MJ is helping a little. Now MJ was NOT prescribed 2 me, and I don't recommend any1 self-medicating. Especially with asthma, u have 2 b careful
  10. thelonglostson

thelonglostson New Member

I've had asthma for as long as I can remember.. I've gone through all the hospital ordeals and everything more than once.

With that said, yes it does help suppress your asthma attacks. Many years ago when I started smoking I noticed that my asthma attacks were few and very far between. It's more like a preventive asthma medication than something like a "rescue" device, but it does work. It's still good to have a rescue inhaler around no matter what.

I noticed it doesn't stop an asthma attack dead in it's tracks, if the smoke agitates you and makes you cough more. BUT different outcomes for different people. You could vape it or ingest it with different results.

IN ALL: YES IT DOES HELP. It's like the "Advair" of weed medication lol...
  11. Dedbr

Dedbr Domestic War Veteran

My comments are from observation only. I have two sons who had it and the oldest started smoking and his went away.........

You need to listen to the old timers. They didn't have the vast resources of the modern day doctors, and herb was one of the safer and better things they used.......;)

Some Where In Ded Land.................
    2 people like this.
  12. GotBud?

GotBud? New Member

Marijuana is great anti-inflammatory medicine, and since asthma is essentially chronic inflammation of the lungs and bronchi, it would work for sure. I would probably just say that it's all in the way that you take marijuana in. For example, straight up smoking blunts of pipes might be a bit harmful just because of the smoke factor. If you want a truly clean/medicinal high that would really benefit your asthma condition, I would suggest investing in a vapouriser.
  13. t-1000

t-1000 Sr. Member

Probably eating is the best. Vaporizers are in second place, only because the effect is shorter lasting and can still cause lung irritation.