Does Marijuana Kill Brain Cells?

Discussion in 'Medicinal Marijuana' started by jade_420, Feb 3, 2002.

1. jaman

jaman Marijuana Master

It's the holding your breath part that kills brain cells.:eek:

2. CheebaMonkey

CheebaMonkey Sr. Member

Holding your breath does not kill brain cells.

3. bonghitter420

bonghitter420 New Member

"holding your breath does not kill braincells"
    I may be wrong, but I thought that if you held it in for extended periods of time it will kill braincells.

But somebody said it above, everything kills braincells, bumping your head will kill a few braincells, heading a soccer ball will do it. So toke on and forget about it.

4. Super Woman

Super Woman New Member

Yes it does! :p

5. CheebaMonkey

CheebaMonkey Sr. Member

No, holding your breath does not kill brain cells. Your brain has to go at least a few minutes without oxygen for it to start experiencing brain damage.

6. jaman

jaman Marijuana Master

Hey CheebaMonkey , If you don't know what your talking about please don't comment . Making sh.. up doesn't fly well around here !

7. CheebaMonkey

CheebaMonkey Sr. Member

ROFL

I don't know what I'm talking about?!?!

:laugh:

8. Ross

Ross Seasoned Activist

Let's stop this flame war before it starts. Come on people...let's just get along

9. Proline63

Proline63 New Member

OK uh maybe I can help. I doubt it makes any significant difference, like what someone said earlier in the thread. Holding the smoke in does, however, mess up your lungs after a while.

10. jaman

jaman Marijuana Master

11. Super Woman

Super Woman New Member

Brain damage is a lot different than killing brain cells, and I seriously do think you are wrong.

I couldn't really find any links with info, but jaman has.

Holding your breath= no oxygen. No oxygen= killing brain cells. It doesn't do any actual harm, but it does kill brain cells.

12. jaman

jaman Marijuana Master

isn't Cheeba an OFF TOPIC DRUG ? CheebaMonky

13. Mamabudz

Mamabudz Guest

Jaman:

You were warned to chill out.

By the way...Cheeba is slang for, you guessed it, marijuana which is rather on topic.

Holding your breath does not kill brain cells, however if you personally feel it does then I suggest you refrain from holding your breath.

Consider this evience however before you take Jama's word over Cheeba's...or even (dare I say it) mine: if holding your breath killed brain cells wouldn't every deep water diver (that is a sport by the way done without gear), under water swimmer, and 2 year old who throws a temper tantrum, would be brain dead by now.

Oh and to answer the original question:

DOES POT KILL BRAIN CELLS?

No. It keeps them alive

Try reading this article...from our friends at the pharmeceutical company GlaxoSmithKline (makers of such favorites as Paxil, Tums and Geritol)

Link to List of Scientific Articles

....from a slightly more reliable source than Angelfire :rolleyes:

14. jaman

jaman Marijuana Master

I couldn't find the info that you speak of MaMa ? is it in that site somewhere ?

15. Mamabudz

Mamabudz Guest

how about this excerpt from just one of the 20 articles quoted

"Journal of Neurochemistry
    Volume 80 Issue 3 Page 448 - February 2002

Neuroprotective properties of cannabinoids against oxidative stress: role of the cannabinoid receptor CB1
    Giovanni Marsicano,* Bernd Moosmann, Heike Hermann,* Beat Lutz*,1 and Christian Behl,1

Abstract

Neuroprotective effects have been described for many can-nabinoids in several neurotoxicity models. However, the exact mechanisms have not been clearly understood yet."

16. jaman

jaman Marijuana Master

ok , so this is what I was thinking about . It gets a little tricky , but on this , I was rong .

cheeba , SLANG for marijuana

Cheeva, Mexican term for heroin click link

my mistake , but I still say that some brain cells are destroud when you hold your breath for a long period of time .

:p ps im stoned

17. jaman

jaman Marijuana Master

I guess I don't get it ?

18. jaman

jaman Marijuana Master

want to have a trippy experience .

Type the term cheeba monkey in to any search engine .

tons of stuff comes up ( thousands of different things) that have both terms cheeba and monkey in them .

And for the life of me I still cant make a connection with Cheeba and Monkey.

Man am I RIPT ! :)

19. jaman

jaman Marijuana Master

peace Cheeba monkey

Please don't hate me cuz I'm an idiot :sulkoff:

20. CheebaMonkey

CheebaMonkey Sr. Member

Thank you Mamabudz

No harm done jaman. :D

Let us smoke together so there can only be peace. :)

EDIT

Oh and Super Woman, when you hold your breath, all the oxygen does not instantly vanish from your body. You have have some flowing in your blood stream. If you were to pass out and then still continue to not breathe, then you could kill brain cells.