Does Pot help with a cold?

Discussion in 'Medicinal Marijuana' started by HiI'mHigh, Mar 7, 2009.

1. HiI'mHigh

HiI'mHigh New Member

Hey I've had a bad cold since Monday. I went to the doctor and he told me it was just a virus and it should go away in a few days. Well it's only gotten worse since then. I had a fever and headache on tuesday which went away by wednesday, and then I had a HORRIBLE sore throat. Anytime I swallowed it would really hurt, and then it'd make my ears sore unless I stuffed them with Q tips. Right now my throat doesn't hurt, and my mom took me to a doctor today and he said I had pink eye (cause my eyes got all red on Friday) and told me it would go away on its own. Well I'm still hurting, but I was wondering if pot would help with the pain? And did pot cause my sore throat to be this bad? Or would smoking only make it worse? I could vape with a lightbulb but I don't know. I'm seeing Watchmen tonight and I wanna get high before I see it but if it hurts my throat I won't toke up.
  2. Stigma420247

Stigma420247 Sr. Member

i always smoke when im sick...but i never notice it help... i dont think inhaling smoke into your lungs while sick is "good" for u :)
  3. toothfairy420

toothfairy420 Stoner Chique

Pot is not a cure-all remedy...sorry...

You should probably actually lay off the weed a little during a cold, since the smoke can be really harsh on your upper respiratory system.
    2 people like this.
  4. PowDawg

PowDawg New Member

The simple answer is: No
  5. yoman3

yoman3 Has boobs as an avatar

It'll cure your cold, make you live to 150, and make money appear in your hands out of thin air.
    4 people like this.
  6. Bhikku

Bhikku News Administrator

Pot has always made a headcold worse for me. Plus if you smoke out of a piece, you risk reinfecting yourself with your own nasty headcold germs. Yuck.

Me and my friends passed around a nasty cold for a few weeks in college because none of us had the resolve to put down the bong long enough to get better.
    2 people like this.
  7. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Cranched Scanner

It works if you have the flu, last week i got really sick and was puking up all day, until i smoked a joint and it did take away my nausea. I still felt really sick but at least i wasn't dry heaving anymore....
  8. pkster8235

pkster8235 Lazy Dancer

I find it helps somewhat as long as the cold doesn't include symptoms involving breathing difficulty. A cold can make you feel like a big ol' pile of shit and a toke can uplift the mind and body.
  9. Plainsman1963

Plainsman1963 New Member

I often blaze up & drinks NYQUIL% eats only oranges and drink Grapefruit juice when I have a cold; I don't think it worth to copay for Rx's. 'So, yes it helps me--if not to at least better tolerate feeling like sh*$@ with the cold virals symptoms.
  10. goosehead

goosehead New Member

I had the flu a couple of weeks back and I took it as an oportunity to see if weed would make it more torelable. After a couple of bowls, I noticed my nose was robbed of its sniffling and my nausea was gone, lifting my overall mood. Even my appetite kinda increased. :)
  11. euphoric dreams

euphoric dreams Sr. Member

I have a bad cold right now but pot hasn't really made a difference. I mean pot is recognized for it's antibiotic properties (example source: Medical Marijuana - Antibiotic Properties ) but I doubt that this is applicable to a common cold. Smoking can make things hard on your throat but I've always noticed that it's only a momentary irritation. Unfortunately this is a cold that you have to stick through with some good sleep and fluids. Damn these colds! haha
    2 people like this.
  12. Funky999

Funky999 New Member

I had the flu back in Jan, I found that smoking out of a pipe or bong was not a good idea. I already felt pretty dried up inside and smoking just made me feel even more dried-out.

I used my vaporizer while I was sick, it worked out a lot better and made me feel better because it wasn't drying me out more or adding to my cough, but like others said just clean your piece once you are done. I made sure to clean the end of my whip after each smoking session.

I wouldn't say smoking helped me get over the flu any faster but it helped with the body aches and the biggest thing it did was allow me to seep better at night.
  13. toothfairy420

toothfairy420 Stoner Chique

Interesting, I wasn't aware that marijuana had antibiotic properties, and you are right, an antibiotic would have no effect on a cold, as antibiotics are meant to kill bacteria, not viruses.
  14. marcusJay

marcusJay New Member

You're not smoking the correct kind of weed. Maybe if you smoked some "catpiss" weed your cold symptoms might go away.

http://www.marijuana.com/420-lounge/115662-any-way-enhance-taste-2.html

Hell, you're already sick so whats the harm?
  15. dirtbomb

dirtbomb Hippie

Works great if you have the Flu.
    Pot makes colds more miserable, unfortunately.
  16. PowDawg

PowDawg New Member

Marijuana is amazing...it's anti-inflammatory, an anti-oxidant, AND an antibiotic? I think the irritation is because it's anti-inflammatory, ever eat spicy stuff? Really anti-inflammatory.
  17. Jericho99

Jericho99 New Member

I definitely believe that if your illness leaves you with respiratory pain of any type such as a sore throat, smoking would only aggravate it. I would maybe vaporize with a sore throat, but only lightly still.

On the other hand, if your lungs are fine but you have other symptoms such as pain or nausea, I think that weed could do you well. Just look at chemotherapy patients and the like. Weed also definitely stimulates my appetite when I'm sick, to the point where I'm eating normal quantities again, necessary to get better.
  18. IxStayxBLazed

IxStayxBLazed New Member

Yesterday I smoked and I have a cold right now but I feel great. The only thing is that I'm a little congested but I feel that it has helped me a little. I wouldn't say its a cure. But maybe it helped becasue it made me sleep all night and I drank a bunch of liquids to due cotton mouth. In some way it may have had some effect but Idk.

_________________________________________________​

African herbsman, seize your time
    :mj2: I'm takin' illusion on the edge of my mind :mj2:​
  19. Thedayoudied

Thedayoudied New Member

idk about the cold but i have congestion/runny nose/head ache and cough and i smoked earlier, made me feel more high and made my headache go away. unfortunately i still have the congestion runny nose and cough going on.
  20. Bowlblaze

Bowlblaze Banned

Clease out my sinuses a bit and helps me with my appetite. But comes right back with a vengenance once I sober up.