does pot help you sleep?

Discussion in 'Medicinal Marijuana' started by cpd92574, Sep 11, 2003.

1. cpd92574

cpd92574 New Member

i suppose its a method of use =0

would you use marijuana as a sleep aide?

i just started smoking (2 weeks ago) pretty relgiously (every nigh =P), and then, feeling that i might be getting hooked, decided to flat out stop.

the day after i stopped smoking, i was exhausted, and the next 3 days, too.

this is in sharp contrast to when i had been smoking, i got the best sleep ever.

i was wondering if this was a coincidence or if other people have noticed this as well.

either way im gonna keep testing it ... who knows it may just be a great excuse to smoke pot =D

2. EeJay

EeJay Senior Member

I guess it really depends on how much you're smoking to sleep.

I find if I have a decent sized sesh, i'll get to sleep nicely, but even if I get 10 hours sleep, i'll still wake up tired and slightly out of it.

If it's a very small sesh, where I don't feel much of a high and i'm just relaxed, I still find it easier to sleep, but I won't have as much trouble waking up as when I smoke more.

But yes, I have found it to be a good sleep aid, though I do warn people that your body can start relying on it for sleep if you make a habit out of it, so I suggest not doing so. Personally, I don't like to use it as sleep aid more than half the time, but it might be different for you. Experiment and reach your own conclusions I suppose, just like you say you're doing.

3. Psyko420

Psyko420 New Member

I always get to sleep better after i smoke. every night i have a "night cap" so i sleep good. My brother is an insomniac and it helps him sleep as well. so id say yes its a good sleep aid, in my opinon.

4. dre1136

dre1136 New Member

Hell Yeah

Nithing feels better han a MJ induced sleep.

5. dre1136

dre1136 New Member

I'm currently on a break from Mj right now. I've been on a break now for 4 and a half weeks now I'm just waiting for my 1st paycheck then I can really get stoned. Anyhoo I felt kinda tired the first few days after stopping smoking, I don't have any explanation for that

6. Cassius

Cassius Seasoned Activist

Marijuana helps you get to sleep, yes. Marijuana helps you enjoy your sleep more, yes.

But I find that it also makes me need more sleep. I usually smoke daily and find myself wanting 9 or 10 hours of sleep per night. On the occasions that I stop smoking for whatever reason for a few days or a week, I find that that number creeps down to where I feel great with only 7 or 8 hours.

7. Kibbatoz

Kibbatoz New Member

I find with different weed it helps me sleep.When I smoke certain regs I'll feel like sleeping and fall right to sleep but I get alot of KB that when I smoke it I can't fall asleep untill the high wears off.

8. WNB

WNB Seasoned Activist

Yup, weed helps you sleep. In fact, it's helped me sleep through my alarm for several days in a row now :(

9. 2manyDJ's

2manyDJ's New Member

YEh weed is amazin for helping you get a good nights sleep, i dont find that i cant sleep without it or anythin but its like guarenteed i'll get a good nights sleep after some smoking.

Only problem is when you smoke LOADS and just get really tired/fall asleep when you dont really want to.

10. PhreshwaterPhunk

PhreshwaterPhunk Mister Natural

I was a heavy ass insomniac when I quit over the summer, just started up and I'm getting loads of sleep each night, sometimes going to sleep at 6, and I love it. My dream recall is better, too. I don't know what you guys think about it, but my life revolves around dreaming, dreaming lucid, peicing together dreams during school, and working them out to discover more about the way I think. Hah. Ok, so in conclusion, yeah, it does help sleeping.

11. mindraver

mindraver Sr. Member

yes, i find that smoking does help with sleep, though sometimes the next day it can be a little harder to wake up.

12. LotusFlower

LotusFlower New Member

Absolutely, marijuana is a sleep aid

It has been reported in several books on the subject, that marijuana does indeed help one drift to sleep nicely, and was commonly used to treat insomnia 100 years ago, when cannabis therapy was widely known and used.

I have terrible insomnia and find that marijuana definately helps me get to sleep, and stay alseep. Different strains produce different effects of course, so it depends on the quality as well as quantity of weed. The only "side effect" I have ever noticed from marijuana induced sleep, is that I usually have no dreams.

13. Rugbee

Rugbee Banned

I always smoke a bowl about an hour before going to bed and sleep like a baby
    :sleeping:

14. Herb Ninja

Herb Ninja Seasoned Activist

Whenever I use marijuana before bed I have a much worse chance of remembering my dream(s).

I'm kinda an insomniac, and marijuana helps me sleep. I stay up till 3 or 4 in the morning no problem, then I just feel like I should go to bed for the best. :eek: :)

15. WhiteBoy

WhiteBoy Sloth

herb messes up my dream recall but helps me sleep

16. Coolguy

Coolguy New Member

I used to lay in bed for 3 hours trying to fall asleep.

For the last year though, I just have a bowl before bed and it's never taken longer me than 7 minutes to fall asleep, most times I'm out in under 2 mins.

I give it 2 thumbs up!

17. Lyte it up 420

Lyte it up 420 Sr. Member

yes it does, pot raises your melatonin levels like 300x the normal amount(that number might be off a bit) thats why you sleep so easily, so long, and wake up still being tired, it takes the brain long time to get rid of the melatonin,which is responsible for you sleeping.

On an interesting note about the forgetting dreams, i've read alot about it the reason you do is because of such high melatonin levels your in such a deep sleep you can't remember the dreams with the added effect of pots short term memory killer, some people have drank coffee while smoking and then going to sleep, and had some really trippy dreams, since marijuana makes dreams very intense, and the coffee keeps you in a light sleep so you can remember them better.

Another experiment that would be cool to try would be a stop smoking patch, they keep you awake, but both nicotine and weed enhance dreams, so with weed and then put a patch on go to sleep, ur sure to have some intense dreams, but might wake up craving for a ciggarette :)

18. smoke boxer

smoke boxer New Member

i also smoke before i go to bed. it definitly gives me a good sleep. when i tell people, many of them say that i am weird, not smoking with other people. i do smoke with other people, but i find smoking befor i go to bed gives me a certain peace of mind. and the next morning i am ready to go out into that goonish world once again.

Plus, it makes adult swim on cartoon network prety good too.....

19. Beatlejuice

Beatlejuice Sr. Member

I find that pot makes it much easier to sleep. It pretty much erases my dream recall though. i also find if I smoke right before I go to bed my eyes don't feel right in the morning. They don't really want to open.

20. AusGrower

AusGrower New Member

yeah i smoke every night also ....great sleeps but i still dont sleep in i wake up early and think of bongs straight away when i have them and start smoking again b4 i do anything