Does pot really kill brain cells?

Discussion in 'Medicinal Marijuana' started by SoThrowd, Jul 13, 2008.

1. SoThrowd

SoThrowd Sr. Member

I know this may have been discussed a really long time ago and didnt feel like searching a long list of pages to find the answer. And everything on the web is all bullshit and the same thing. So I would like a scientific answer to the myth of pot killing brain cells. Everyone that I know who are against weed says it kills brain cells. Does anyone know the scientific truth to what the thc actually does to the body?

2. Ryan Fa Sho

Ryan Fa Sho New Member

It does not kill brain cells. I hate it when people try and use that against weed since its just such bullshit. Pot is harmless, period. Theirs No bad side affects from it let aside the fact that it could be irresponsibly used. IE: smoking during school or something like that to impair your learning abilities.

But thats not the pots fault, its yours ;D

3. shibshib

shibshib New Member

Only when it tells a really great joke!

4. Jayden

Jayden New Member

If you're looking for information to educate yourself and others about the uses, facts, and myths about cannabis/marijuana use, here's a good place to start reading... Erowid Cannabis Vault : Cannabis FAQ

It is put together in an easy to read format, and includes many references and sources to follow up with. In part III, your question about killing brain cells is specifically discussed.

4 people like this.
  5. appleyardrules

appleyardrules New Member

that green stuff actually protects some of your brain cells

6. Jake

Jake Sr. Member

First of all A LOT of things kill brain cells. There are things you, and everyone does, every day, that kills a few here and a few there. You'd be surprised.

But not pot. Pot has something in it that does kill some cells though (and I'm pretty sure these are brain cells we're talking about). The thing is, they only kill the old cells that your body has not destroyed already. The cells that could, if they mutate and divide, become cancerous. Pot kills those cells.

I think the act of smoking anything kills brain cells in and of itself, but don't quote me on this. If you hold your hits for more than 7 seconds, you're probab;y kiling a few brain cells.

I once read something on this site that pot can actually spark the development of new brain cells, but I think if that was true, I'd know it for a fact. And I've always thought that science said that you don't ever really GAIN brain cells after puberty.

7. redankulous

redankulous New Member

It kills cancer cells similar to the condition Senator Kennedy of Massachusetts has. The memory thing is a sham. People get gaps in their memory from watching to much tv not smoking to much pot. The research is out there.

8. NoobMcGee

NoobMcGee New Member

There was a study that said that light or occasional tokers had a minor increase in brain cell development. Or something to that effect anyways. Study's like 7 years old now I think.

And if I remember right, I think I've seen/read something that says that you do still grow brain cells after puberty, just not in the same amount or some shit.

Also, isn't alcohol a proven killer of brain cells?

9. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitect The Cosmic Chronic

10. trippin

trippin New Member

Marijuana-exposed monkeys LOL. Couldnt help but laugh at how that sounds.

11. ciregg222

ciregg222 Sr. Member

No Cannabis Does Not Kill Brain Cells.

Thc And Cannabinoids Connect To Cb1 And Cb2 Receptors In The Brain. They Have Eventually Detach And You Excrete The Natural Cannabis Chemicals From Your Body.

Actually, Did You Know That Your Own Body Has Natural Cannabinoids That It Produces On Its Own... Very Interesting

12. ciregg222

ciregg222 Sr. Member

The Brain Cell Is Then Left Completely Unharmed....