Does Pot Reduce Sperm Count?

Discussion in 'Surveys, Polls and Questions' started by Silverbackman, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Silverbackman

Silverbackman New Member

I've actually been wondering about this for some time, but now I have a reason to ask. One of my friends is applied to a sperm bank to be a sperm donor and was accepted and on his first interview he will have to give a large sample of sperm. He has to abstain from ejaculating for 2-3 days, but he's not sure whether abstaining from pot is a good idea or not as well.

Now I know quite a bit about the marijuana myths and obviously so many of the propaganda lies have been de-bunked and disproven. For example it is a scientific fact that cannabis does not lower testosterone count. Ganja does not lower immune function. Nor is there a an established link between lung cancer and weed smoking.

However the question of sperm count is still up for question. There were studies done in the 1970s by researchers that supposedly showed smoking pot can reduce sperm count and seminal fluid. But these results were hard to replicate....though some studies later on with insanely high amounts of THC (like 20 joints a day for a month) can lower sperm count in animal studies (of course even very heavy users smoke a lot less than this I think). Since then not a lot has been done to disprove it, but a lot of these studies have been outdated. However I have seen more recent articles (2003ish at least, by the bbc) that reported lower sperm count, less seminal fluid, and sperm swimming too fast increasing infertility.

Now have there been any studies (recent or otherwise) that have disproved these claims of lowered sperm count? Should my friend stop smoking pot during this evaluation and maybe even during donation from now on, or is there nothing to worry about here? The weird thing is that I personally never feel a loss in sexual function and if anything I get more horny and seemingly more seminal fluid (or at least as much) in my ejaculations, so it seems like any sort of damage here wouldn't occur with my friend, who reports a similar reaction.
  2. Wicked

Wicked Sr. Member

I have a daughter who turned one year old today, I have smoked weed everyday for almost nine years. She was born at a healthy weight, height, on her due date, and excels in every category baby's are judged on at doctor visits. I don't believe that it affects sperm count in any way, shape, or form.
  3. Silverbackman

Silverbackman New Member

Hey Wicked, thanks for the account. :) Do you know of any scientific articles that show this though, because maybe you belong to a certain percentage that doesn't loose sperm ;). Of course if that percentage exists then my friend or myself would probably fall in it, so yeah there's probably nothing to worry about. On the other hand yah neva know.....it could be linked to the amount of THC used, like in the monkey brain cell study.....of course it is like that then there is also nothing to worry about.
  4. sterbo

sterbo sailor dog...

Silverbackman,
    Don't you think it would be a good idea for your friend to ask the personnel at the sperm bank this question?
  5. Wicked

Wicked Sr. Member

Exactly. I can only provide you with what I know, and what my experience has been, just like everyone else here. Your friend definitely needs to consult with the sperm bank about this. Truthfully, if he admits to smoking marijuana, they may not accept him for legal reasons.
  6. Mikeebud

Mikeebud Sr. Member

I am a pot sperm, if you will

My father has been toking for 30 years, And somewhere inbetween, I was the faster Mofucka in there.

So im going to go ahead, and say no.
  7. Wicked

Wicked Sr. Member

Ditto, my father has been smoking for over 30 years, which makes my daughter a 2nd generation pot-baby. I mean, as far as I can tell, it seems like mostly all of my generation (I'm 22) are pot-babies, and they all are physically and mentally "normal". So, apparently potheads can get pregnant, and the sperm doesn't seem to be damaged.
  8. nina

nina New Member

You should watch the Movie 'Super High Me'. He goes from being stoned non-stop, to abstaining from smoking for 30 days...while abstaining, they do tests on him, one of which is a sperm count test, along with others like memory, respiratory, etc...and THEN, they give him a vaporizer, and he has to smoke as MUCH as he can in the next 30 days. It was very interesting for me to watch this. But anyways, when they compared the two sperm count tests, his sperm count was surprisingly almost double what it was when they tested him stoned compared to when he wasn't smoking. So my answer to you is, YES it does effect your sperm count, but in a good way. Tell your buddy to toke it up if he is going to go donate. :D
  9. gamers1700

gamers1700 New Member

ok that was amuzing...where can I find this video?
  10. Wicked

Wicked Sr. Member

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Super-High-Me-Doug-Benson/dp/B0017INRFY/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1228856468&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Super High Me: Doug Benson, Alex Campbell, Don Duncan, Graham Elwood, Marc Emery, Calvin Frye, Zach Galifianakis, Dana Gould, David M. Navarro, Bob Odenkirk, Patton Oswalt, Dennis Peron, Brandon Hickman, Michael Blieden, Alexis Hanawalt, [/ame]
  11. Mushroom Man

Mushroom Man Feeling eternal..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HhugERX5yM]YouTube - Super High Me Part 2[/ame]

I think it's somewhere in there. You can watch the whole thing on youtube, it's in one of the 9 parts.