Does smoking pot increase or decrease blood pressure?

Discussion in 'Surveys, Polls and Questions' started by wikked_one, May 22, 2006.

1. GanjaFranklin

GanjaFranklin New Member

I can say definitively that YES, smoking cannabis does lower blood pressure, but it does initially go up. I have anxiety driven hypertension, and have tried every pharmaceutical on the market. Some work somewhat, some not at all. My fiance' suggested I try small amounts of cannabis, and document my blood pressure at 30 minute intervals. So - I did exactly that on a weekend. I took NO blood pressure meds that day. I didn't want to muddy the test, but I had them on hand just incase it got too high.
    My initial BP was 160/107 at 6pm. Took 1 good hit at 6:05. At 6:30 it was 171/112 - entering scary territory. At 7:00 it was 174/111. Still too high and I was getting nervous. 6:30 (T+1:25) my BP was 155/98! It was coming down - and remember, I took no other BP meds at all. 7:00 I felt quite relaxed and had nice mellow buzz, and my BP was 131/82! Woohoo! Success!!!
    At 7:30 it was 128/80, and at 8:00 124/81. At this point, I was convinced. It remained in the 120's/80's all night and even into the next morning.
    And in the spirit of scientific experimentation, I repeated the experiment the next evening with nearly identical results.
    And... just to be absolutely sure, I did it a third time one week later, and had almost identical results! :)

*Note: the stuff I had was some good indica hydro, and I only had 1 hit (about the size of a pea) each time. But the answer to the question of "Does cannabis lower blood pressure?" is a definite YES - although it will initially raise BP and heart rate for about an hour, BP will lower substantially (30-40 points both systolic and diastolic in my case).

I hope that helps your question somewhat.

2. gill

gill New Member

wow i don't know where you get your facts but do some research before you say something that makes no sense.

3. Acheron

Acheron New Member

Ok.. So maybe it's due to the fact that I have been smokeless for many years.. But last night I tried some Purple Larry that spiked my bp to 168/125 with a bpm of 128.. With time will that not spike so high? Or did I get my hands on something bad?