Does weed go bad?

Discussion in 'Surveys, Polls and Questions' started by b4 the lobotomy, Apr 8, 2010.

1. b4 the lobotomy

b4 the lobotomy New Member

Hey. I guess this is a sorta stupid question. But I'm really wondering...does weed go bad?
    I've had some in my closet for many months and I'm thinking about smoking it in the future. Should I? Or just get new stuff?
  2. sterbo

sterbo sailor dog...

Eventually yes.
    You don't say how many 'months' or what it was stored in so if you can tell us we can help you better.
    That said, why not just pack a bowl or roll a J and you'll know for sure.

For what it's worth I found (about 6 months ago) an old stash in some stored items I had put away back in the 70's. I know because I always include a date tag in my stored weed.
    It's no longer (of course) psychoactive but I keep it in an old handmade bowl out amongst my books and such just because it brings back fond memories... :)
  3. Love4TheNugg

Love4TheNugg NorCal MushroomCloud

My friends bro had some that was pretty old, maybe like almost a year, anyways we smoked it and got pretty high. Not the best stuff ever, but worth smoking for sure
  4. Guru

Guru Sr. Member

I had a bag i just picked up go mouldy on me within a week, no idea why I leave weed in the baggy for more than 2 weeks and never had this problem, but it's all good... it was my last .5g and I picked up an 8th this evening :D

EDIT: I suspect it was due to the dampness of the sack, Dry bud is much less prone to going mouldy.
  5. Buds_Of_Steele

Buds_Of_Steele Your Undisputed Disputer

Life before the lobotomy, Christian sang the eulogy... your name is based off a Green Day song isn't it? lol

I would imagine potency degrades over time but given the proper storage conditions I have no doubt that weed could keep for a while
  6. b4 the lobotomy

b4 the lobotomy New Member

Yes my user name is based off of the green day song :) love them.

And I got the weed in June. And it was very very potent when I got it. I've only smoked twice since like the summer and I smoked that weed in December and I got slightly high from 2 hits so I guess it's ok. I'd like to get some new stuff!! Haha. But clearly I have not been able to smoke. I am much too chicken XD
    2 people like this.
  7. Lil' Lexie

Lil' Lexie New Member

I don't have first-hand experience with 'old' weed, but from what I've heard/read, if it's just stored in a baggy at room temperature (say in a drawer or something), it will eventually get moldy (I can't remember in what time frame, but maybe 12-20 months? I guess it really depends on what condition it was in when you first stored it). BUT it will last a lot longer if you vaccuum-seal it, and even longer if you freeze it (airtight or vaccuum sealed, with very little water content).
    2 people like this.
  8. Justiiice

Justiiice New Member

Go ahead and smoke the old weed. It either gets smoked in the end anyway, or dumped and wasted... your choice. And I'm sure if it was very potent when you first got it, you are still gonna get lit off it. :blazed:
  9. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

Marijuana can get moldy if it contains too much moisture. Other than that, it doesn't "go bad". What it does is lose potency. The enemies of potency are primarily heat and oxygen, which cause THC to oxidize into non-psychoactive compounds.

Your old stash won't hurt you, but it might not be as strong as you remember.

I keep my stash in vacuum-sealed jars in the refrigerator. It'll keep for years that way.
  10. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

Marijuana can get moldy only if it contains more than 15% water by weight. If it has too much moisture, it'll be moldy within days, not months.

I would advise against freezing your stash. It breaks down the structure of the buds, making them much more likely to crumble into a powder when you break them up. That makes it harder to smoke. I've kept weed for two years in vacuumed-sealed jars in the refrigerator. When I opened them up, they were as fresh as the day I put them away.
  11. AstroCoaster

AstroCoaster Sr. Member

CBN is one of those compounds, but like CBD it has to primarely be in the presence of THC to work. I've been looking at a lot of these other cannabinoids lately. There are actually some strains of cannabis that have higher and lower amouts of CBN in them, but the higher levels arn't caused by the Marijuana being old. .... lol... I just had a weird thought.. Imagine if someone let some weed get old on purpose just to let the THC turn over into CBN and passed it off as " Finely aged Marijuana " like it was finely aged wine. Ofcoarse that would just be a waste of good bud.
  12. O High O

O High O Sr. Member

Obvious that weed spoils obviously.....

Read it in an article this week.
  13. Bapedup

Bapedup New Member

Just smoke the shit man