Drug Dog Fooled

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Kiefer Suthrlnd, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Kiefer Suthrlnd

Kiefer Suthrlnd New Member

I'm watching the show Homeland Security USA on abc right now and they just showed a drug dog get fooled.

It was coke that was heavily wrapped in diapers. The dog did not hit on the drugs...He got completely fooled. Upon further investigation the border patrol ripped apart the floor boards and found everything. The cops said that the diapers absorbed the smell of the drugs because naturally thats what they are designed to do.

Good to try if you're really desperate.
  2. Mushroom Man

Mushroom Man Feeling eternal..

People try and fool drug dogs all the time. I can see marijuana scent to be easier to hide then cocaine.

Apparently not, since they got caught anyway.
    2 people like this.
  3. Freedom_User

Freedom_User ....Is really high

Lol funny!
  4. water

water New Member

Ever see that show I think it's called "never get caught". They showed how the police can make a dog alert that there are drugs even if it doesn't smell anything so that they will have the right to do a full search.
  5. troublemaker420

troublemaker420 New Member

Cocaine has a MUCH less powerful smell than marijuana does.....I've never walked by someone and been like "Damn, thats some strong smelling coke in your pocket!!!" but I've done similiar things when people have had weed on them. Cocaine doesn't have much of a smell.....last time I tried to detect the scent, I had to suck it right up my nose to get the aroma! :eek:
    18 people like this.
  6. marcusJay

marcusJay New Member

Maybe thats what they want you to think so you'll go ahead and try it yourself and fill another jail cell.
    Just saying......
  7. BartSimpson

BartSimpson Sr. Member

This is a good opportunity to point out that basic security measures are not singular - there are layers involved. Be it Dogs, or X-rays, Behavior Detection or hand-search, agencies do not rely on a simple and single method. This is often the folly of youth, to count on beating the Dog and not the Backscatter X-ray which can see the voids in a vehicle.

It is also a good opportunity to mention that this was TELEVISION, scripted and edited and made for TELEVISION. It is not real life, and often not even close. For an Agency like The Department of Homeland Security to participate, they would not have agreed to look bad and disclose weakness.

Imagine if they brought a Bomb Dog out to sniff for explosives (looks the same on TELEVISION), the image is presented that the dog searched for drugs when the actual intent was to make sure there were no explosive boobie-traps to harm the guy who is now going to tear your car apart because of the Backscatter X-ray.

Since drug dealers are also worried about being ripped off, it is not unusual for them to wire the package to prevent theft.

Do not believe for a minute that cotton diapers are capable of preventing detection any more than a wad of t-shirts.
  8. marcusJay

marcusJay New Member

I didn't even give it a minute. Once you understand how sensitive a dogs nose is, the idea that a diaper (even one packed full of shit) hiding anything is laughable.

9. SmokeyMcPott

SmokeyMcPott **********

I agree. A dog's nose is so crazy in terms of how it deciphers olfactory information from the environment as compared to ours. You smell a pizza cooking? The dog smells each individual topping being cooked on it. Nothing but an airtight seal can get past that, plus you have to bleach each and every container that gets close to the weed.
  10. BartSimpson

BartSimpson Sr. Member

If you are really interested in Drug Dogs, I highly recommend K9Copper's posts here, available through the excellent and free search thing-a-ma-gig.

Phuzz01 is a little less forthcoming, but also has excellent posts about a drug dogs abilities. And he is probably out there right now with one smart dog in his backseat.
  11. joshpackr

joshpackr Sr. Member

I can testify to the fact that sometimes dogs miss things. I went through a sobriety checkpoint last winter about this time and had a fresh 1/4 of herb in my jacket pocket that I was coming back from picking up. The officer stopped me and asked for my driver's license, then another officer walked around my vehicle with a dog. The dog didn't smell the weed I had in my pocket. I admit the officer just did a very quick pass around my vehicle with the dog but I was still afraid it would smell it.

The cop made sure all my stickers and tags were valid then sent me on my way.

I'm glad that fucking dog didn't smell it because I would have been arrested no doubt.
    2 people like this.
  12. marcusJay

marcusJay New Member

And that all comes back to training. Oh that dog smelled it, he just didn't alert to it. The world for dogs revolves around their nose.
  13. phuzz01

phuzz01 Sr. Member

I can't tell you guys ALL my secrets...:shh:
  14. SoThrowd

SoThrowd Sr. Member

One of a dog's hobbies is to smell many different things. That is why dogs stick their nose out the window, there is millions of different scents they detect and they think it is awesome. My dog smells my mom when she pulls up in the driveway because he goes to the door and sticks his nose down at the bottom. He does the same for food of course.
  15. KittenPower420

KittenPower420 New Member

if you really want to hide your weed, hollow out the passenger car seat and when you and your friend are driving, if you get puller over, have him stuff it in his chair and spray your seat with fake dear piss. you can buy that stuff at any hunting store. if the police ask why its there, just tell him/her you are a hunter and spilled a bottle of deer piss on the seat just now.
  16. BartSimpson

BartSimpson Sr. Member

Pure Fantasy.

Really, no basis in reality or fact.

In other words - that's just plain crazy talk.
    3 people like this.
  17. troublemaker420

troublemaker420 New Member

Exactly...police officers typically aren't idiots, and most poeple that hunt enough to "accidently" spill deer urine on their seat are typically going to have a MILLION other indicators that they are indeed someone who hunts. the average teenage stoner wearingg a Phish t-shirt, reeking of patcholi, wearing dreads and reeking of smoke is going to have a hard time getting an officer to believe he's a "hunter". On the other hand, if I was drivng my truck, with a rifle case in plain view, my blaze orange hunting coat, binoculors, a skinning knife, and towing a deer blind....then MAYBE the "i spilled a bottle of deer pee" wouldn't instantly tell the cop theres something odd going on. The average person isn't going top havbe deer piss in their car, and the average hunter will have several indicators that he or she actually is someone who hunts, and not just someone behaving quite strangely.....
  18. Hemply

Hemply New Member

Many years ago I was pounched on by several undercover's. I wont go into the reason why at this point since that's irrelevant to this information. They put not one, but two drug-sniffing dogs through my car (of course after they ripped the interior of my car apart).

The dogs came up with nothing! That's because I had nothing! However, later I discovered that I had at least three roaches in my car, two were in the ashtray, and on was in the storage area on the drivers side door?!?

So why didn't the dogs target in on the roaches? I hadn't used anything to mask the odor which I'm sure with their sensitive noses they should've been able to pick up on? The cops still kicked the shit out of me for good measure!
  19. phuzz01

phuzz01 Sr. Member

How do you know that the dogs didn't alert on them? Because you weren't arrested? If you were being searched by undercover officers, they were looking for more than just roaches. So, they probably found the roaches and didn't care because they didn't find what they were actually looking for. Only the dog's handler knows if he alerted or not.
  20. Hemply

Hemply New Member

Yeah they were definitely looking for something other than roaches but they had the wrong person on that one!;)

They actually did arrest me but not for anything in regards to the stop. 12 years ealier I had gotten pulled over in that same state for speeding. When you're an out of state driver they issue you a summons instead of a ticket and they also automatically issue a warrant for your arrest in case you don't show up. Well I DID show up those 12 years earlier with a good lawyer because I didn't want the points on my license for obvious reasons. My lawyer won the case and I walked out the door with no fines or tickets, however THEY never dropped the warrant so when I was pulled over 12 years later there STILL was a warrant for my arrest!:rolleyes:

I bailed myself out went home and called the lawyer who represented me 12 years ealier who btw was now a judge. She flipped out that they arrested me, the next thing I knew the county court house was calling me apologizing up and down, they even overnighted my bail money back to me, and sent me a letter to carry around with me in case I was ever pulled over in that state again!

I sued for wrongful arrest and for the beating I took, grabbed a few G's out of it and went about my business.