Drug Test Interaction With Medicines And Foods

Discussion in 'Urine Testing' started by Mamabudz, Nov 27, 2002.

1. Mamabudz

Mamabudz Guest

Drug Test Interaction With Medicines And Foods

Be aware that certain foods and over-the-counter medications can cause you to test "positive" for various kinds of drugs.

Poppy seeds, for example, can show up on a drug test as morphine.

Cold remedies that contain codeine can also cause a positive result for morphine.

Valium reportedly can produce erroneous indications of PCP (Phencyclidine), and other cold remedies can apparently produce false reports of methamphetamine usage.

Dextromethorphan can produce a falsely positive qualitative urine opiate screening.

The widespread availability of hemp-containing products, including everything from hemp-seed oil nutritional supplements to hemp-seed candy, cookies, cheese, bread, cooking oil, and general seasoning, means that ingesting ANY of these products could potentially cause a false positive result on a test for marijuana.

Ibuprofen, contained in Advil, Nuprin, and Mortin, can make a positive result for marijauna. The EMIT test (an immunoassay test) has therefore been changed to use a different enzyme to eliminate false positives due to Ibuprofen. Ibuprofen in very high doses will still interfere with both the EMIT and the GC/MS (Gas Chromatograph/Mass Spectrometer) test. Ibuprofen: Ibuprofen is a common pain reliever that (even in low dosages) used to cause a false THC positive on the EMIT test. The EMIT has been changed to use a different enzyme to eliminate false positives due to Ibuprofen. Ibuprofen in very high doses will still interfere with both the EMIT and the GC/MS. There is some conflicting data here because some sources say that the GC/MS tests can distinguish between Ibuprofen and THC (as well as other over-the-counter drugs).

Common over the counter cold, asthma, and allergy remedies and diet pills such as Diatec, Dexatrim, Cotylenol, Triaminic, Primatene, Bronkotabs, and Nyquil can show up as positive for amphetamines.

Vicks Formula-44, Demerol, Mydol, Primatene-M and common prescription antidepressants such as Elavil and Tofanil can show up as positive for opiates such as opium and heroin.

Ephedra, also known as Ephedra Alkaloids or 'MaHuang Extract' has a chemical structure which is closely related to amphetamine, and can reportedly give a false positive for amphetamines. Often sold as an 'energy pill' it is an effective decongestant in low doses.

Valerian root is reported to cause false positives for benzodiazepines. Other herbal supplements such as Kava Kava and St Johns Wort may also affect body chemistry such that false positives are produced.

Zoloft (Wellbutrin®) is reported to cause false positives in urine screens, although for what specific substance isn't clear.

Primatene can also show up as positive for barbiturates, and Benadryl can show up positive for Methadone.

Some additional over the counter medicines that may cause various kinds of drug test interactions include Alka-Seltzer plus, Allerest, Bronkaid, Contac, Donnagel, Sinuntab, and Sudafed.

2. hauptmann

hauptmann Seasoned Activist

deltabravo.net/custody/drugtest.htm

Someone stole your writing mamabudz

3. Mamabudz

Mamabudz Guest

LOL

...not exactly...but thanks for finding the location I got that from...I got bumped off the computer when I was uploading that and could never find my way back there...

Yes kiddies...Mama gets lots of information by RESEARCHING it on the WEB :)

4. hauptmann

:laugh: , classic stuff mamabudz.

I was checking out some of the specifics on some of the information you posted and I ran across that page. I guess all research has to cross paths somewhere, lol.

5. barrenwarren

barrenwarren New Member

should peeps mention that they are on some of these drugs, just in case? maybe if you test positive and they see you had ibuprofen or something else on your questionnaire, they will pass you?

6. Mamabudz

Mamabudz Guest

Not a good suggestion to mention it first.

ALso I believe that it requires large continous doses of ibuprofen over a long period to show up positive. The amounts that cause gastric/ulcerative problems.

7. jocski

jocski New Member

Poppy seeds

I read that you would have to eat 100 poppy covered bagels to
    cause a positive.

8. Mamabudz

Mamabudz Guest

Nope, need only be one or two...

scarey aint it!

9. droptines

droptines New Member

what about the pill protonix?....its used for people with acid reflux.....i take it and the paper that comes with the pills says it may cause false positives.........anyone know anything about this?

10. Mamabudz

Mamabudz Guest

Nope nothing about that...but it does interfere with antibiotics and birth control pills...

Talk about drifting WAY off-topic!

11. RiceKrispiTreat

RiceKrispiTreat New Member

Wait.... birth control pills can cause false positives?... because that could cause me a problem ... or were you talking about that they interfere with that certain medication????

12. hauptmann

you got it.;)

13. questimon

questimon New Member

just a thought....what if I list numerous items(from mamaz list) on the "recent medications" question...so that if i do test positive, the tester would be so bogged down with things it could be...that he/she would just pass me cuz he/she dont want to go through the trouble?haha.

p.s. i've had so many laughs reading these boards...thanx cheaptalk

14. Wizard1

Wizard1 New Member

Question for Mamabuds

Thanks for all your info.... What is your knowledge on Marinol. Is there any test to show the difference between smoking pot, and the THC in Marinol. I get conflicting answers to this question after much research.
    Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you

(oooh .... a cookie!)

Peace

15. Mamabudz

Mamabudz Guest

Marinol is comprised of a synthetically derived form of THC and sesame oil in a round gelatin capsule.

When metabolized, it is matabolized into THC metabolites and will show up as a positive for THC metabolites in urine and blood tests for metabolites. It will not show up as positive for tests of the other cannabinoids naturally occurring in cannabis (marijuana)

...have another cookie ;)

Mama Budz

16. tyrantfour

tyrantfour New Member

when they call and tell me abut my positive test, im going to tell them i recently ingested a hemp product and demand a retest...good idea?

17. OLD TIME

OLD TIME New Member

I take 50mg indomethacin twice a day. Will it work like aspirin, since it's an aspirin based medication, also any information on gotu kola?

18. melanotaenia

melanotaenia Seasoned Activist

that won't work, because you need to have a level of 50ng/ml or above, and hemp products would never raise your levels to this.

no, since indomethacin is 1-(4-chlorobenzoyl)-5-methoxy- 2-methyl-1-H-indole-3-acetic acid while aspirin is 2-(Acetyloxy)benzoic acid and hence will react differently with the assay test.

common uses include: Prevention of mental fatigue and enhanced concentration and memory. A balancing tonic that both increases energy and relaxes the body. Stimulates the central nervous system, aids circulation especially in the legs, and is a mild diuretic. Aids in many types of wound healing. Used for rheumatism, blood diseases, mental disorders, high blood pressure, congestive heart failure, sore throat, and hepatitis

19. Sheila Bonghit

Sheila Bonghit New Member

I take Zoloft...is there a big chance of it interfering with my urine tests? I'm going to try the dilution/aspirin technique, but should I stop taking the zoloft a few days before the test?

20. Mamabudz

Mamabudz Guest

No, don't stop taking Zoloft...

But if they have a place to write down any medications that you are taking under the advice of a physician, do list Zoloft, and if they need it, you might have your doc's name and number handy in case they need to verify that.

Do the aspirin and dilution as well of course.

If you test with a slight false positive, they may just let you slide since you already put down that you take Zoloft, which can cause, rarely a false positive. Don't volunteer the information that you know that -- it looks strange when folks "know too much".