Edibles for first weed experience - good idea?

Discussion in 'Cooking with Marijuana Recipes' started by MickJagger, Dec 5, 2010.

1. MickJagger

MickJagger New Member

Hi! I'm newish here.. I've been lurking the boards for some time & finally found the need to ask a question :) [feel free to skip to the end for the actual question ? ]

I have pleeeenty experience cooking with, smoking & vaporizing weed as well as some experience ingesting edibles. One of my close girlfriends definitely isn't a novice either. We've been trying to ease another of our close friend's apprehensions about weed--this friend has never been high or drunk or taken any kind of psychoactive substance. She's open to getting drunk but not high, and though I'm supportive of her desire to explore I'd much rather open up the wonderful world of marijuana for her than be responsible for her potentially vomiting, blacking out & later becoming an alcoholic ;p

Now, she's a little apprehensive because of effects unbeknownst to her, but some of her inhibitions stem from not wanting to smoke the stuff since she has asthma [even though I do too and smoking has never so much as remotely exacerbated this problem]. I asked her if she would try eating an edible and she seemed to warm up to the idea. However, the few times I've eaten any kind of edibles have totally knocked me on my ass, and although no experience was ever unpleasant or uncomfortable, I think it might be a bit much for a beginner!

Basically, I was wondering if maybe using a lesser amount of weed per serving [of brownies or cookies, most likely] would result in a pleasant experience for a beginner. I've never eaten a serving of any edible with less than a gram so I'm not sure if using less would even illicit any results.. What about half a gram? Would that work? I got so excited about her wanting to finally try it that I don't wanna eff this up for her!

I'd appreciate any advice :)

[I cross-posted this on another site, so I apologize if that's prohibited!]
  2. Ghost of Gravity

Ghost of Gravity New Member

Sorry, I'm not too much help on the edibles front. I've only made brownies twice in my 5 years of weed experience. But I am definitely curious as to the results of edibles being a persons first weed experience. My brother is super up-tight and stresses out more than any person I know, but is very uncomfortable with the idea of smoking something (hes in his 30s and has never taken so much as a puff of anything). He seems open to the idea of edibles so his wife and I might try baking something for him someday.

Keep us posted on how your friends experience goes!
  3. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

I'd say it's a bad idea. One of the best things about the inhalation route is the ability to titrate dosage: you smoke, see how you're doing, and then decide if you want more. When you consume cannabis edibles, you're in for the full ride whether you want to be or not. It's too easy to get into a bad place and be stuck with it for six hours. When you smoke or vape you have much more control and, if things don't go well, it's over in an hour or two.
    4 people like this.
  4. newcarcaviar

newcarcaviar Sr. Member

My thoughts exactly, Buzzby. :)
  5. Maximus

Maximus Sr. Member

Not really a good idea unless there is no other way. If anything make sure to eat only a little and be patient. Since the high takes about 20 minutes to kick in, compared to the 4 seconds with smoking it, rookies would eat it and don't feel anything in 10 minutes and eat more thinking it wasn't enough, little do they know that last brownie is still being absorbed so in another 15 BAM it's wayyy to much in their heads.

So, be patient and conservative or just smoke it.
  6. EtchAsketch

EtchAsketch New Member

Hey. New here. My first time doing weed was actually last night and it was with edibles and I actually am only here because of wanting to get more info on doing edibles your first time...But...Let me tell you...Holy fuck. Not the most pleasurable thing ever to say it lightly. I would NOT do that again if I had the chance to. (Edibles first I mean)