Employment for potheads

Discussion in 'Legalization/Decriminalization' started by bbhank, Feb 21, 2008.

1. bbhank

bbhank New Member

Looking for job boards, employment pages and the like for marijuana users who are looking for jobs and will not take or pass drug testing. Any help and insight in producing one? Positive feedback only.
    Been using normal search engines without any hits.
    It has been established that most people who casually smoke pot are not criminals. Why must they continue to be forced into second class citizenry because of a noncriminal act done off the job, away from the workplace, and many times in the privacy of their own homes?
    In 2008 we are well past any "reasonable" time for this to happen.
    Decriminalization forces need to combine efforts into a national effort that goes beyond any one candidate or party - a populist movement that rules.
    2 people like this.
  2. godson7985

godson7985 New Member

I have a job for any pothead out there!

I work for a company that does not drug test, and is very well respected in the community. If this sounds like something for you email me at [email protected]
  3. b1s8e3

b1s8e3 Subscriber

Hm, what exactly does your company do? Sell credit card sales equipment and contracts?
  4. godson7985

godson7985 New Member

Yes we do, we setup merchant accounts for other business'. We dont always sell them equipment or contracts but we definitely set there service up. We are 1 in 4 wholesale companies in the world so we have a huge competitive advantage. Is that something you'd be interested in?
    2 people like this.
  5. Pig Can Fly

Pig Can Fly New Member

It sounds like something that I'd be interested in. :) I live in West Virginia. Is relocation required?

I previously worked for Progressive Insurance. They also have a no-testing policy. I loved the company and the job, but when my dad passed away a little over a year ago, I felt I needed to come back to WV to help with my disabled sister and mother. Mom recently passed, but sis is still here and I can't relocate.
  6. Triklino

Triklino Falling Into Infinity

Seems like he's got you covered there :).

I work as a guitar teacher in a local music store, I'd say it doesn't pay well, but, I have a crapload of students and it gets me where I need to be. And they don't drug test (Drug testing musicians is absolutely pointless :p) so it works out even better for me. If that job up there doesn't work for you, I say look around where you live, ask if they drug-test for employment. If they do, no biggie, you quit for a couple weeks, and then start back up again... but ask employees if there's random drug screenings during your time there, if there is, then scrap it!
  7. kinghelwig

kinghelwig New Member

move to calif.
  8. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

What would be the advantage in doing so?
  9. vern

vern Sr. Member

Why limit yourself to jobs that drug test just because you can't hold off for 30 days? I don't agree with marijuana being illegal, or being testing for it. But it's what's going on right now. That's how I feel about it. There are plenty of jobs that won't drug test you.

And kinghelwig - having a medical card doesn't get you out of a drug screen...if that's what you were getting at.
  10. MonarchX

MonarchX New Member

Why not dilute or substitute?
  11. ihavenoidea

ihavenoidea New Member

While I think marijuana should be legal obviously, i can see why employers should be allowed to drug test even if it were legal. We don't like it because we don't like the law or businesses telling us what to do with our own body, well, the same way businesses wouldn't like the govt stepping in and telling them they cant know certain information about potential employees. In my mind, employees should be able to hire whoever they want, and not hire whoever they don't, based on anything because they are paying you after all, and they shouldn't have to pay anyone they don't want to. Just like they can deny service to anyone.

Now i know we have laws against discriminating employment based on race and gender, but the above means i don't agree with those either. It doesn't mean i agree with businesses that do that, but i believe they have that choice, like i have a choice to smoke.
  12. ArsenalFan

ArsenalFan New Member

Are teachers generally drug tested?
  13. KennyD

KennyD New Member

I knew a stoner teacher once! :)
  14. Darque Pervert

Darque Pervert Jive Honkey

I think it would depend on the school or school system where they teach and their policies.
  15. feedyourhead

feedyourhead Girly Girl

as far as private companies go, a LOT of it has to do with liability issues, not what the CEO's personal opinion is. insurance companies generally don't want to pay benefits or insurance on a worker who is injured if it's proven that they had an illegal drug in their system, so they'll require the company to agree to drug testing before an insurance contract is written.

the best application of this that i can think of is, for example, when i worked at meijer, the only drug testing they did was when a worker was injured. you fail, you're subsequently fired and meijer's insurer doesn't have to worry about possibly paying your medical bill.
  16. Rhymenocerous

Rhymenocerous New Member

I've been pretty lucky in my jobs. I've only had two but never have been drug tested. The first one was for Kroger. Normally they drug test everyone when they start. Just a mouth swab. But for some reason they forgot about testing me. My second job was a local pool store. There was only two stores and it was family owned. They didn't drug test anyone. I got lucky but if you can find a small family owned business maybe you'll get lucky. There was only about seven people that worked at the pool store and we were all in high school.
  17. Outkasted

Outkasted New Member

Zumiez is a pothead dream job. I would get high as fuck every day and just talk to people, listen to my own music and skate in the store all day.
  18. Acidrain09

Acidrain09 New Member

Funny you should ask. I swear my math teacher was three seconds from lighting up with me after school. He always makes fun of me for smoking before class. Even when I hadent, it was still quite funny.
  19. Lord Vapor

Lord Vapor New Member

Drug testing is lame and I would love to have a resource to find a job that didn't test. I hate having to quit and then stress over a test or when the test is coming. I think companies shouldn't care what you do in your freetime as long as it doesn't effect your work.
  20. vvicked0471

vvicked0471 Super mod

+1
    I can understand insurance company liability issues but I dont agree at all with preemployment drug testing as a result. It seems to me that it would be more beneficial to an insurance company only to test in the event of an accident. Reason being if I were to apply to a company that requires preemployment screening due to contractual agreements then I would fail and not be hired, unless of course I did not consume any illegal drugs in which case I would be hired and the company would have to pay for a second test in the event of an accident, which again I would pass (assuming that I weren't a stoner). If the same company did not drug test until there were an accident then I would fail at that time and the insurance company would not be liable for my treatment. So there would only be one test, and people who smoke would be just as likely to be hired as the non smoker(again assuming they are equally qualified). Preemployment screening costs companies money that they would not otherwise have to spend. It just seems to me that it would be more beneficial to both the insurance company and the hiring company to test only when necessary.