Exactly HOW MUCH Hemp Would Be Needed For Bio -Fuel? WORLDWIDE.

Discussion in 'Surveys, Polls and Questions' started by Ganjika, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Ganjika

Ganjika ☼ Account Closed ☼

Exactly HOW MUCH Hemp Would Be Needed For Bio - Fuel? WORLDWIDE.

[​IMG]
    Okay, So Its Pretty Obvious That Hemp Is Not Only The Most Medicinal Crop Known To Man - But Also The Most Useful As Well!

One Such Use Is Bio - Fuel.

Recently I Pondered, Exactly HOW MUCH Hemp Would Be Needed To Be Grown (World-Wide) To Meet The Demand If Suddenly The Whole World Ran Off Such a Fuel Supply? How Would We Meet The Demand? Im Pretty Sure Its Possible. Im Just Curious About The Numbers, In Socialization Maybe We Can All Learn Something.

Does Anybody Know?

Im Definetly Curious To find Out.

Lets Spark Conversation.

~~~~

Hemp can be grown organically in poor soil almost anywhere, up to three crops per year, far more efficient than lumber.

Hemp is naturally drought, pest, and disease resistant, eliminating the need for synthetic chemicals and reducing the demand on dwindling water supplies.

As a biomass, hemp burns hotter and cleaner than coal.

Hemp biomass can be converted to methane or methanol.

Hemp is cold hardy (Able To Withstand Freezing Winters)

Hemp is pest resistant

Hemp is draught resistant

Hemp has a production rate of up to 10 tons per acre, every 4 months.

1 acre of usable hemp fiber is equal to the usable fiber of 4 acres of trees or 2 acres of cotton

Trees mature in 50-100 years; hemp matures in as little as 100 days.

The University of Missouri estimates that an average-size metropolitan area production of 100 million gallons of biodiesel fuel could generate $8.34million in personal income and 6000 temporary and permanent jobs. (Ref: National Biodiesel Board)

2. toothfairy420

toothfairy420 Stoner Chique

I wish I knew the answer...but I don't, so I will just bump this thread so it does not get forgotten.

2 people like this.
  3. Plainsman1963

Plainsman1963 New Member

I am a big fan of hemp but when it comes to biodiesel I am afraid it isn't the best choice at present.

Hemp yields about 3 to 4 tons per acre which would convert to around 39 gallons of bio fuel per acre. In contrast corn yields about 18 gallons per acre.
    Palm oil produces 635 gallons per acre.

Algae seems to be the wave of the future, with estimates (that some consider far fetched) that yields of 100,000 gallons per acre are possible, but algae production for bio fuel has been in the research and development stage for years with no end in sight, although I will include a link to read if interested, it is from the algae association though so their numbers might be optimistically skewed. ;)

Vegetable oil yields, characteristics: Journey to Forever
    National Algae Association Being Formed to Advance Biodiesel Production : Gas 2.0

3 people like this.
  4. JohnBoySmoker

JohnBoySmoker Sr. Member

Taking acreage out of food production in order to make fuel has already had some unwelcome effects for the worlds hungry masses. It's good to try new approaches to finding solutions to the worlds problems but when they don't pan out, you will need to rethink that approach.

5. Trocisp

Trocisp Guest

You can efficiently and quickly grow algae in areas where food production wouldn't otherwise be a viable option.

Like underwater. :p

2 people like this.
  6. JohnBoySmoker

JohnBoySmoker Sr. Member

Studies will need to be done to determine if there is any harmful affects as a result of this type of aqua culture. Once we screw up the ocean, it's game over.

2 people like this.
  7. Trocisp

Trocisp Guest

Bottom trawling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We're already fucking the oceans up. Growing algae can be done in lakes, though. Think if we could use 1% of the total surface area of the Great lakes.

That would be 94.71 sq miles worth of Algae, or if Algae ends up only producing 1,000 Gallons per acre (which is a very, very conservative estimate) the total yield from 1% of the Great Lakes would be 60,614,400 gallons of Bio Diesel.

8. Plainsman1963

Plainsman1963 New Member

2 people like this.
  9. Ganjika

Ganjika ☼ Account Closed ☼

[ame=http://youtube.com/watch?v=sBJ66Oim_Xw]YouTube - green fuel - algae[/ame]

The United States Department of Energy estimates that if algae fuel replaced all the petroleum fuel in the United States, it would require 15,000 square miles (38,849 square kilometers), which is a few thousand square miles larger than Maryland, or 1.3 Belgiums.[9] This is less than 1/7th the area of corn harvested in the United States in 2000.

Its Certanly Wonderful What Plants Can Do. We As Creatures Of This Planet ALL Depend On Them for Our Survival.
    ~
    Just Out Of Curiousity - What Do You Guys Think About This???? This Guy (The Inventor) Actually Died From What I Hear...
    [ame=http://youtube.com/watch?v=jaC5idPDn48]YouTube - Car RUNS on H2O! Hydrogen better than Electric[/ame]

10. TKDJoe

TKDJoe New Member

I'm not sure exactly how much it would take to fuel the world but... Jack Herer in his book "the emporor wears no clothes" Says that If the farmers used just the land the gov't pays them not to farm on It would solve all/most (?) (Haven't read the book in years so I don't remember exactly) of the US's energy problems. AND according to the book the mush left over from pressing the seed can be eaten and has all of the protien and amenoacids you need to survive. This could solve both the energy crisis and the food crisis for the world!

2 people like this.
  11. TheHempCloud

TheHempCloud New Member

I know this is a wicked old topic, but I saw this thread linked on a blog I saw today, and had to respond.

If we were to use the hemp to produce methanol for use instead of gasoline, then the answer is:
    About 395,542,949.88 acres worth - or - 1.92% of the land on earth.
    That is assuming you are growing at a rate of 2 crops per year.

Back in 2000, I did a spreadsheet to calculate how much hemp would be needed to feed & fuel an average American lifestyle for 6 billion people. For now, I have this spreadsheet @ hemp but will soon have it cleaned up and on my website.

12. Splendens

Splendens New Member

I give you:

Attached Files: