Facts about smoking out of a bong?

Discussion in 'Water Pipes' started by bishop420, Aug 4, 2005.

1. bishop420

bishop420 New Member

Hey guys im recently new to smoking, I only smoke out of stuff that has something to do with water..(bongs, bubblers etc) I know it supposedly filtrates the smoke somewhat to make it less harmful, but are there any facts to support this? What exactly does the water do to the smoke? does it remove any harmful chemicals that u would normally inhale w/out water?

2. TriggerHappy370

TriggerHappy370 New Member

Don't fully trust me but I read somewhere that it filters out alot of THC so it isnt better for you, but it does filter out some bad stuff. There are a few articles on the net i would do a google serch plus I remember a thread on something like this.

3. fyse0

fyse0 New Member

I dont have a list of chemicals that are filtered out of your smoke. But to be certain, the smoke is very diferent from what comes off a blunt or a pipe. Water cools down smoke, making it less harmful to the lungs. Yes, it does extract chemicals from your smoke, but probably isnt as good for your lungs as not smokng.

From the sound of your post you're not really smoking enough to have to worry about health risks. If you only smoke once or twice a week and its off a bong or bubbler dont worry about you're lungs, you're safe for now.

4. dags

dags New Member

it also takes out ash and puts it in the water instead of your lungs.

5. SmokerForPeace

SmokerForPeace Jr. Activist

http://www.ukcia.org/research/pipes.htm

"The study results are obviously discomforting to waterpipe enthusiasts, many of whom prefer the cooler, milder smoke they produce, and have naturally assumed it is also more healthful. Unfortunately, however, the study indicates that waterpipes may actually be counterproductive in increasing consumption of carcinogenic tars.

Nonetheless, it is still premature to judge that waterpipes are actually unhealthful, since they may filter out other, non-solid smoke toxins occurring in the gas phase of the smoke, which was not analyzed in the study. Noxious gases known to occur in marijuana smoke include hydrogen cyanide, which incapacitates the lung's defensive cilia; volatile phenols, which contribute to the harshness of the taste; aldehydes, which promote cancer; and carbon monoxide, a known risk factor in heart disease. Previous studies indicate that water filtration may be quite effective in absorbing some of these [Nicholas Cozzi, Effects of Water Filtration on Marijuana Smoke: A Literature Review, MAPS Newsletter, Vol. IV #2, 1993]. If so, waterpipes might still turn out to have net health benefits."

To my knowledge this is the only formal study that has been done on the topic. Bishop you should check out www.erowid.org if you don't already know about it. Erowid has most of the answers about drugs an inquisitive mind like yours wants to know.

6. f*ck_y0u

f*ck_y0u New Member

wow, I never knew any of that, and ive been smoking for a while! but why do so many stoners care about what its doing to you?? just smoke it, damnit!

7. BongMan420

BongMan420 Active Member

Ya they say that waterpipes filter out THC which makes each hit have more tar to the same amount of THC delivered by a joint.

I don't really buy that, study or not I really feel something is not right about that. Some tar is left in the pipe and in the water so in which case I don't know how less tar could come off of a joint when it's done there is no tar left over. It's all in your lungs.

It says that smoking a waterpipe is can still be more healthy- for big reasons.

1. Colder smoke doesn't damage your mucous membranes as much.
    2. Several poisonous gases are filtered out
    3. You aren't smoking paper and glue or tobacco

The thing I find funny is if a bong is "counter productive" why would you get higher off of less than you need in a joint? That just doesn't make any sense to me at all. In fact, the study is kinda disproved by our own, non-scientific analysis: that a bong will get you higher off the same amount smoked out of a joint. Personally, I think the study was a waste of time and money. If the study is correct, how can that be true?

8. Hamez_444

Hamez_444 New Member

"Marijuana Water Pipe and Vaporizer Study
    Dale Gieringer, Ph.D. "
    Well the test were performed by people who know what they are doing, So I think I'll agree with them. Also they said they used MJ that only had about %2 THC, which is much lower than most people get on the streets. Personally, I get higher from joints and blunts than I do from my bong.

9. TronFromDaCity

TronFromDaCity New Member

I get higher using bongs than any other method I've tried, including vaporizing. I can just put a little small bud in the bowl and roast it until I get like 7 or 8 manageable hits off it. Instead of taking like one huge hit, I prefer to take many smaller hits. What I take 7 or 8 hits off of might be 3 or 4 bigger hits for some other people. I also prefer bongs because they keep all of the smoke in the chamber, so a lot less smoke is wasted. When you are smoking a joint, the weed is constantly burning even when its not being hit. Since I like to conserve weed and maximize the highs I can get out of it, I don't like joints because smoke is being wasted. As far as bongs being less safe, I have heard of that too but I smoke practically everyday out of a bong, and still exercise and run everyday and my lungs seem to be just as healthy as they were before I started smoking. I wouldn't worry about it too much, but if you start noticing that it's harder to breathe, it might be time to look into new ways of smoking or even vaporizing.

10. TheGnome

TheGnome New Member

Well the reason people are getting "higher" from water bongs/pipes faster is becuase you can take a bigger hit! When the smoke is cooled down it alows you to take a bigger hit, there for getting you higher faster...

11. imported_Craig

imported_Craig New Member

Its all about the hookah's mang. Seriously i was so ****ing hihg from smoking a hookah the other day i was amazed that i could get so high. And it was a long stem huge champer 8 hose 56'' hookah. So it got the job done.

12. BlackBird

BlackBird New Member

WoW I never knew that either, but i think we all can agree that you get the biggest hits off bongs, because not only do you have to take a long drag off the bond but you have to clear it as well.

13. Haddock

Haddock New Member

I'm pretty sure that bongs don't filter out THC, I've read many times that THC isn't water soluble, meaning that water can't filter out the THC. It may filter out some cannabinoids, but those aren't as important as the THC. Bongs always get me higher than joints.

14. i just like bongs because they cool down the smoke, filter out some carcinogens, u can get bigger hit out of a bong then ne thing else, and i luv the sounds of it! :bong: :rastabong :bong2: :blurb blurb blurb blurb haha lol
    but i always choose blunts over nething.

till the day i die ima StayBlowinTrees
    SBT

15. BlackBird

BlackBird New Member

Well I mean if you smokers were really concered with your health, you would get a vaporizer, healthiest **** on the market or as healthy as smoking gets anyway, but without watching the smoke personally it takes half the fun out of it.

16. Pakabahl

Pakabahl New Member

Do not smoke bud alone in a hookah, it burns waaaay too fast. You must mix the weed in with the shisha, which involves you losing the flavor of the weed. Since the taste of the weed will be obviously covered by the taste of the shisha. Personally, thats one of the things I enjoy the most with weed, the flavor. Eight hoses? I sure hope every single person was covering their hole...

17. dagoods005

dagoods005 New Member

its all about what u like cuz in the end ur still gonna get high.

but after reading that article, i came to the conclusion that a bong and a joint will get u high pretty much at an equal speed cuz a hit from a joint will have more thc than a hit the same size from a bong but with a bong u get a bigger hit cuz its cooler therefore = thc. kind of confusing but thats just my logic

personally, idgaf what im smoking out of as long as its got green in it!

18. hippie557

hippie557 New Member

I like my bong more than any doobie. After time I think you're gonna waste more money buying wraps or whatever cigar you prefer to roll in than on a small to mid-size bong (some around $40 that are able to use with a few people). As someone else pointed out, I like the sound of a bong. Cooling the smoke is really nice. Tried just barely freezing some water before I loaded it into my bong and that first hit of passing through such cold water was so smooooth.

19. chevyhotboxer

chevyhotboxer New Member

I never understood why people go so worried about how safe it is to smoke weed... if your that worried about it don't do it! lol For me though I just smoke without a care in the world... I will die one way or another and if it is from something I enjoy this much so be it!

20. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

If you really want to avoid the toxic chemicals that are part of any kind of smoke, the way to go is vaporizers, not water pipes.