FDA approves Cloned Meat

Discussion in 'The 420 Lounge' started by dailysmoker, Dec 28, 2006.

1. dailysmoker

dailysmoker Subscriber

I recently read that the government has ok'd the consumption of cloned meat and milk.

I quote..."The government has decided that food from cloned animals is safe to eat and does not require special labeling."

"FDA concluded that cloned animals are "virtually indistinguishable" from conventional livestock and that no identification is needed to judge their safety for the food supply."

"The FDA scientists wrote that by the time clones reached 6 to 18 months of age, they were virtually indistinguishable from conventionally bred animals."

The FDA hasn't given it the final approval yet but it's obvious which direction they're heading.

Here's the link in case you want to read it for yourself.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/cloned_food

I'm not really sure how I feel about eating meat from a cloned cow. I do think as a consumer I have the right to know if I'm purchasing meat from a cloned animal. Do we not have a say in what we put into our bodies? I think we have a right to know.

I would much prefer to live on a farm and raise my own livestock. My only problem with that...I'm an animal lover and get attached to animals. If I got to know my cows, pigs and so on...I would make pets out of them and wouldn't be able to kill them ;)

TM...I'd love to have your opinion on this as I know you mentioned your family was or is in the cattle/livestock business.

Ok, I'd like to hear if anyone here is opposed to eating meat from cloned animals. What about the fact that they don't even have to label it as such?

2. Itzamna

Itzamna New Member

thats fuked if that is real

3. Raised Fist

Raised Fist New Member

I honestly don't care, I believe cloned meat would be better for us. We would have a set genetics for meat and the finished product could be more controlled. Genetically-deficant stock wouldn't be a worry (was going on a limb, but I could only assume genetic faults to be a problem in worse case scenerios).

Meat is meat to me, I don't care if the animal is a copy.

4. rondane

rondane New Member

well

I obviously don't know much about it as im sure most people here don't unless you just so happen to be a genetics expert of some sort...... I just straight up think it is weird..... Although I bet my dad thought color tv was weird at first also...... Just because Im a sifi kind of guy I say we don't eat...... Who knows if something unforeseen and crazy could happen.

5. Bowlblaze

Bowlblaze Banned

I think that we're at least owed the opportunity to decide for ourselves whether or not to eat the cloned meat. Not sure whether or not I would eat it, but I'd sure as hell like to KNOW.

6. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitect The Cosmic Chronic

Man, humans have strayed so far from our inteneded path it isnt even funny.

Fuuck- let us eat cloned burger. We already pump enought vitamins, steroids and other chemicals into the "regular" animals, who knows what it does to us.

Personally, I wouldn't really care if I am eating cloned meat. The world is already in a downward spiral - may as well get as much protein as I can before the apocalypse.

:)

7. jdhammer

jdhammer Canadian Stoner

I don't understand why anyone has an opposition to eating cloned meat. It seems like the "idea" of it just turns people off, but those people are just uninformed. Why do you think we need to be "informed" that we are eating cloned meat? The cloning process does not change the animals in any way - It merely creates a second animal with an identical genetic code as the parent animal. What's wrong with that? Perhaps if you have a moral objection you might be opposed to the idea but starting to label meat as "cloned" or not is not going to happen, and there's no need for it as the meat will still be meat with no distinguishable differences.

8. SpiralArchitect

Well you have to realize doing something as scientifically and involving meddling with the foundation of life can have unseen detrimental/benefits for humanity. Who knows if cloned animals can cause cancer, make your hair fall off, shit even make your balls shrivel up into a cooch - no one knows. The FDA likes to think they know something, alas they don't really.

I mean for christ sake they are cloning an animal. I for one wouldn't be too thrilled about eating it, but until they find a specific reason to NOT eat it, I would assume it is safe, but eat it hesitantly.

I can guarantee you that PETA is gonna shit their pants, and continue shitting their pants until this is 'stopped'. Good ol' loony peta.

9. dailysmoker

dailysmoker Subscriber

I feel I have a right to know what the hell I'm eating. If I can go to the store and specifically buy KOBI labeled beef, why can't I decide for myself if I want to buy "cloned" meat. All I'm saying is I have a right to know what I'm consuming.

I'm not getting into whether it's right or wrong to clone - I don't really care either way. However, I DO care about being correctly informed on what I'm buying and feeding to my family.

Do we not have the right to decide for ourselves whether or not we want to eat cloned meat? that's what bothers me the most...the fact that they don't give me the choice to decide for myself!

10. XT Dream

XT Dream Jr. Member

"In all true actuality, no humans have any rights at all. Thats to start with. Now, being born automatically sets how you will learn and find out what 'living' is. Once that is established for yourself, you can follow others, learn, and choose whatever you want within the limits that have surrounded you by circumstance, time, thoughts, everything about and around you really.

Everything matters. Then on the other side of the mind thought spectrum, Nothing matters at all. From the first time you feel a new emotion, it is constantly recycled from there forever more; depending on only when.

Might as well complain though, we all deserve and might as well go for everything we need for ourselves.

Cloned meat won't mean anything.
    Spiral already said it: Huamns have already strayed from the 'path' that we can't truly know and the world is already spiraling down this 'path'.

All we can do is say what we mean and feel and try our best to make the world as best we can from what we know and where we are."

11. Frojoe

Frojoe New Member

Not sure if I would have a problem eating cloned meat myself. But I sure as hell want to know what I'm eating. Shouldn't all the religious people who stop stem cell research everytime be throwing their money to congressmen stopping this too. Anyway, if this actually pans out, it would definatly have to say if it was cloned or not; that way everyone can decide for themselves. The more I think about this the more fucked up it seems. Why can't we humans just let something happen the natural way.

12. XT Dream

XT Dream Jr. Member

"To above.

Nothing is truly natural anymore. Well, rarely."

13. Frojoe

Frojoe New Member

yea, it's sad.

14. jdhammer

jdhammer Canadian Stoner

I know if cloned animals can cause cancer or make your hair fall off - They don't. This is what I'm talking about. The word "cloning" has so much stigma attached to it that people just naturally take this mental path when faced with such a thing.

A cloned animal is nothing more (NOTHING more) than a replication of another animal's genetic code. No, it's not natural. No, it's not the way things are SUPPOSED to be done. No, it will not harm you or give you cancer or grow you a cooch.

And for those who want to be informed about whether or not their Big Mac is a clone burger, that's almost as relevant as saying you want to know whether your beef came from a cow with spotted fur or not. Like I said, if you have a moral objection, I can understand why you would want to know, but that is not likely enough to persuade the industry to label their meat "cloned" or not. Because of mass public ignorance, that will just mean a decline in sales.....

15. SpiralArchitect

:rofl:

Since when have you become the all knowing master of the world?

YOU or ANYONE ELSE for that matter has no idea what eating mass amounts of cloned animals can do to the human body. You see the world is full of things so complex and incomprehensible to the human mind/science we are throwing a stick in a lake and hoping it floats, but you know - sometimes that stick sinks. ;)

Has it been done before? NO. So you have no idea. Sure you can make an 'educated' guess, or an assumption but you have no fucking clue whatsoever. No scientist knows what eating massive amounts of cloned, scientifically altered, genetically structured animals can do to to the natural human body. Sure the examples I gave were exaggeration, but the real effects are unforeseen and probably always will be until we put cloned animals into our diet for some time.

Again, I have no moral obligation to it. But I don't think it should be done. Whats wrong with the testosterone pumped, steroid induced caged animals we eat already? :rolleyes:

Human civilization has been driven so off course, I could really care less. I for one might avoid the meat, or be impartial to it - but shit, its not like cloned meat is gonna be the end of human civilization.

16. Dedbr

Dedbr Domestic War Veteran

Cloned? What about genetic alteration's? Chemical application?

Food has been altered to the point that cloning is old news. We have no idea about the physical enviroment and the changes wrought by man on our food supply. Cloning is just another step.

Nothing more.......:D.....

Some Where In Ded Land........

17. Toppot

Toppot New Member

Nothing and everything has already been said.

I personally don't like the idea of eating cloned meat, because it seems far too unnatural. The idea is unsettling, though, I've had the reason why it's safe explained to me. To get to the crux of it; it's like impregnating an animal with itself.

It's just that we've started to become a really strange society. I worked at a grocery store, they have normal butter, margarine for those who don't want butter, and bread spread for those who don't want margarine or butter! It's just wierd! Sugar free sugar made from sugar? Wha-?

When I was a kid growing up in Texas we used to go blackberry picking, we'd bring it back and my father would make some pie crusts and boil the berries until they turned soft and sweet. We'd pour sugar over the top of them and bake them into a cobbler. We'd watch the sunset at the end of the day as we stained our teeth with the fruits of our labor. Are children expected to never again experience moments like that? Are we the last generation of laboring men? It's an important technology, but it should be a failsafe for when a future like the past we had no longer exist.

18. bagofbud

bagofbud New Member

Think about this:

The order of nature. Everything has evolved into a global ecosystem. Evolution takes place over millions of years in response to changes in environment. Extreme climate shifts undoubtedly cause extinctions, as we can see from ice ages, and warm spells. However, this time around, we are causing the climate shift, and the shift is taking place at an alarming rate. There is no way that anything can evolve at the rate at which the climate is changing, so we will see many extinctions.

Is this right? Is it right that Humans have power over the enitre planet? Is it ours to use and abuse as we want to?

On a moral level, the Human race having such power over their planet in my opinion is wrong. Cloning is one of the most unnatural things that can occur, ever. By cloning an animal you are fundementally undermining the building blocks of life and of evolution. Cloning removes variation by perfectly imitating the DNA of the original animal, and thus creating life. Well, cant really write this down in a coherent way, but really its just wrong. Wrong to the core.

Also, if cloned meat were to come onto the market, i would want to know if i was eating it. The meat would be perfectly good, and the same standard as the original, but morally the idea of eating cloned meat sickens me.

I am a meat lover by the way. Steak! *drool*

Edit: By the way, genetic engineering is completely different from cloning. Cloning removes all variation, genetic modification alters the genetic makeup yes, but variation is still allowed to continue. With cloning, there is no variation at all and that is just wierd. Like when they clone that bounty hunter in star wars.

19. Generic Name

Generic Name New Member

Why does the FDA need to approve it? It's not like tofu is new or anything.

Just kidding.

20. 1tokeovertheline

1tokeovertheline New Member

If we knew what some of stuff was that we ate.......we probably wouldn't eat.
    It would be pretty wild if they could just take some DNA and clone a pile of steak, hamburg or whatever. Just bypass the cow and clone a pile of steak.:D