Final Poll: Can gender be detected in urine?

Discussion in 'Urine Testing' started by icemann, Feb 20, 2007.

1. icemann

icemann New Member

I know I've seen MANY posts saying gender cannot be detected in urine, at least not for pre-employment drug screening.

But I'm looking for hard facts, experiences, chemistry if you know it... the one concern I have is the creatinine(sp) levels, are they wildly different for men and women? I don't thinks so... keep reading below....

I ask because I had to check a box for male on a form today... starting to worry although I just had a nurse tell I'm crazy and not too... she just showed me a reference in a med book showing urine creatine levels of 1.0 - 1.6 g/d (g/d?) but there was no reference for male or female (there were for other parameters like creatine clearance).

Sec3, I'd love your opinion... and this should serve as the end of this question, I apologize for it being a rerun... paranoia is a bitch...

2. 1tokeovertheline

1tokeovertheline New Member

They don't test for gender for a drug test. Can gender be determined by piss??? probably, but again....they don't test for gender for a drug test.

3. Secs

Secs New Member

Your nurse told you not to check male or female for a reason. The reason is: It is a useless bit of information. On all the forms I have filled for drug testing, there is no question of whether the donor is a male or female. The only personal information on the form is date of birth.

How would an MRO or lab know if "Joey" is a man or woman. How about "Kelly", etc, etc, etc.

They do not test for gender on a drug test.

4. icemann

icemann New Member

u misunderstood me...

what I meant was there was a checkbox on the form I had to fillout for the screening for gender. I checked male for obvious reason. Can they then run anything against the urine and surmise that it is female urine. It's been over a day and I still haven't heard anything.

The info about the nurse was after the fact... she's a friend, not affiliated with the testing center.

5. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

Yes, they can detect gender by checking the hormones in a urine sample.

No, checking hormones has absolutely nothing to do with a drug screen.

It isn't done and Sec3 ought to know: she is in the business.

6. lew scannon

lew scannon Banned

Buzzby, Sec & 1toke are all correct.

Gender is irrelevant when testing for both drugs and creatinine levels.
    Drug testing devices have no ability to determine if the sample came from a male or female. Such devices only test for drugs. The lab would have to run a genetic test to determine the gender of the donor. Any form of genetic testing is totally outside the scope of drug testing, so therefore, labs are prohibited by law (US) to conduct such testing unless authorization is granted by the donor. Such authorizations are made on an entirely seperate and detailed consent form. Labs are only allowed to check for drug metabolites, plus creatinine levels, specific gravity, pH, certain oxidants, and excessive nitrites.

Gender is irrelevant when testing for creatinine levels because labs check the creatinine levels only to see if a sample is too-diluted, or if a substituted specimen had been used (ie animal urine, water with or without yellow food coloring, heated Mello Yello, etc). In doing so, the labs look for low levels in order to make a determination.

Regardless of what gender you are, samples with a creatinine level over 20 mg/dl are satisfactory. Creatinine levels between 2-20 mg are considered too-dilute. A level of 0-2 mg indicates a substituted specimen (aka "not consistent with human urine"). These are the current standards that are set by the US Department of Health & Human Services.

With all of this being said, ANY human sample can be used as a sub as long as its known to be drug-free and not overhydrated.

Hope that helps a little.
    :cool:

7. icemann

icemann New Member

it does/did help...

but now its over, see my other post for my final views on subbing, but in short let's just say I'm a BIG fan!! ;)

8. bothellwashington3

bothellwashington3 New Member

Thank u Thank u

I am happy to read this..thank u..i did ua today lap corp...test panel H..never had it and mor money...used male urine..stressing...u hav helped..an;y more input, I would love it....:lock::eek::hail::hail::hail: